DAWN, clean to a fault.

Old December 21st 06, 09:06 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

Default DAWN, clean to a fault - Reality Check here, please

These aren't the links I was after, but they do show the cars in the plant.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1294608

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1149165

http://www.corvette.net/misc.htm

I also just checked a '68 I have apart. The inner door panel is steel (not
the interior panel) and is assembled to the door prior to paint. When the
car is painted, there is paint on the outside of the door, the inside of the
door, and overspray through most holes and apparently down the window slot
from the patterns I could see inside the door.

If you trap soapy water, then the rinse water should also be trapped there.
So you have the issue of water rusting as much as you do with soapy water.
If you actually rinse with a lot of water, there shouldn't be any soapy
water, just clear.

nk.net...

Old December 22nd 06, 09:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Preston

Tom in Missouri wrote:

> I also just checked a '68 I have apart. The inner door panel is steel
> (not the interior panel) and is assembled to the door prior to paint.
> When the car is painted, there is paint on the outside of the door,
> the inside of the door, and overspray through most holes and
> apparently down the window slot from the patterns I could see inside
> the door.

But as you know, paint doesn't stop a car rusting, just delays it.

> If you trap soapy water, then the rinse water should also be trapped
> there. So you have the issue of water rusting as much as you do with
> soapy water.

Except soapy water (assuming it contains salt, which most/all
dishwashing detergents do) will make it rust faster due to the higher
salinity.

> If you actually rinse with a lot of water, there
> shouldn't be any soapy water, just clear.

Agree 100%. Or you could just wash with something else & not worry so
much about the rinsing. It's been a problem here most of the year as
we've had a hosepipe ban, so rinsing thoroughly isn't easy!

--
Preston.
Old December 22nd 06, 09:27 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Preston

Tom in Missouri wrote:

> "Preston" > wrote in message
>

> > There certainly is once they start gritting the roads. Hence whilst
> > some of my motorbikes get used during winter, the 'good' one stays
> > firmly tucked up in the garage (as will the 'vette when it's
> > finished).

> You know that stuff stays on the roads and shoulders for months.

No, it stays until it rains - which tends to happen a lot here during
winter/spring.

--
Preston.
Old December 22nd 06, 03:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Preston" > wrote in message
> Tom in Missouri wrote:

Snip
>> Except soapy water (assuming it contains salt, which most/all

> dishwashing detergents do) will make it rust faster due to the higher
> salinity.
>
>> If you actually rinse with a lot of water, there
>> shouldn't be any soapy water, just clear.

> Agree 100%. Or you could just wash with something else & not worry so
> much about the rinsing. It's been a problem here most of the year as
> we've had a hosepipe ban, so rinsing thoroughly isn't easy!
>
> --
> Preston.

Actually not as true as I thought it would be, salt that is, the bare metal nail
test was pulled this morning and it is quite interesting. Replaced them and am
going to put them in the barn until next year.

Got my son's family with 4 girls here for Christmas and no time to waste on it
right now but will post pictures and description soon.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old December 22nd 06, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Lone Wolf

Hey Guys..give it up ..never saw such a bunch crap over nothing.....all you
poor saps have to do...??? hate to even reply to this topic but I never
ever saw so much time wasted by so many...don't any of you have any brains
at all. Is this your life..bunch of losers if I ever came across any.

Old December 22nd 06, 05:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Lone Wolf wrote:
> Hey Guys..give it up ..never saw such a bunch crap over nothing.....all
> you poor saps have to do...??? hate to even reply to this topic but I
> never ever saw so much time wasted by so many...don't any of you have
> any brains at all. Is this your life..bunch of losers if I ever came
> across any.

Yeah verily! Looked like a bunch of blind rats running through a maze.
{{#-[

As the beer makers say, "it's the water."

Find stuff that works well with your tap water. Juggle the temperature
a bit. With some nasty water you might want to find a wetting agent to
use in the rinse.

Happy holiday to all.

--
PJ
Old December 24th 06, 04:53 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
No Vette Yet

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:37:48 -0800, PJ > wrote:

>Lone Wolf wrote:
>> Hey Guys..give it up ..never saw such a bunch crap over nothing.....all
>> you poor saps have to do...??? hate to even reply to this topic but I
>> never ever saw so much time wasted by so many...don't any of you have
>> any brains at all. Is this your life..bunch of losers if I ever came
>> across any.
>>

>Yeah verily! Looked like a bunch of blind rats running through a maze.
> {{#-[
>
>As the beer makers say, "it's the water."
>
>Find stuff that works well with your tap water. Juggle the temperature
>a bit. With some nasty water you might want to find a wetting agent to
>use in the rinse.
>
>Happy holiday to all.

Thanks and the same to all from here too.

As to the wetting agent, exactly what I do... use vinegar for breaking
down the hard water and Jetdry for making the water more slippery.
Washed 2 cars today before the rain and they still look fine. Even
the windows look almost like new. I find I don't have to wax as often
too.

OT: I joked with my wife about when we retire and replacing a car
with a corvette to travel around the country. It didn't seem to
bother her a lot so it may actually come to pass (she's not into
sports cars per se)

One question comes to mind, with the 06/07 vettes, if you have had
back problems in the past, does getting in or out of the car,
aggravate your back? Most of the time, my back is fine unless I do
something stupid and it lets me know real fast when I'm stupid.
Old December 24th 06, 10:24 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
My Name Is Nobody

Default DAWN, clean to a fault.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dawn is strong stuff. If you wash your Vette with Dawn I would rinse
> car afterwards to remove the Dawn. Wash the dishes a few times using
> Dawn . It would leave your hands extremely dry. Thats why you see women
> use gloves while washing dishes.

Men must just like dry hands? You don't see men use gloves while washing
dishes?

Old December 27th 06, 09:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
RicSeyler

Lone Wolf wrote:

> Hey Guys..give it up ..never saw such a bunch crap over
> nothing.....all you poor saps have to do...???

Maybe you should be out saving the planet from hot rodders
instead.......... then you wouldn't have time to be bothered by all us
losers.

> hate to even reply to this topic but I never ever saw so much time
> wasted by so many...don't any of you have any brains at all. Is this
> your life..bunch of losers if I ever came across any.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
GPL Handicap 6.35