GPS Nav in 2008

Old December 3rd 07, 01:40 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

Default GPS Nav in 2008

Any thoughts about the GPS/Nav option in a 2008? I have one on order.
Meantime I've been trying to download/read the manual to become familiar
with the options available before the car arrives (truth be told I'm
chomping at the bit and I figured that perhaps this might help me make
it through the wait). I have not been able to find out much about the
GPS/Nav unit, how it works, how you program it, what options are
available, etc. Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
11th commandment - Covet not thy neighbor's Pentium.

Old December 3rd 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

John Smith wrote:
> Beware. I have a 2007 Cad and the GPS navigation sys. isn't worth a
> plug nickle - and it was a $2,000.00 option.

Well considering that the order was already placed and this was part of
the order, the above doesn't help me at all...
> Borrowed my sons $300.00 unit and it's good compared to the GM unit.
> The big problem with the GM unit is that it can't find addresses and
> streets that have been around for well over 20 years.
>
> My thinking is that the data based on a CD is not at all up to date.
> I'm working with my dealer on this problem.

Sounds like a data problem. My assumption is, and I believe I heard that
one needs to periodically update the data CD. I also assume that I'd be
starting off with up to date data.

Then again I was really looking for the manual or an explanation of it's
features - not just vague griping...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Old quarterbacks never die, they just fade back and pass

Old December 3rd 07, 03:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
My Name Is Nobody

His is a 2007, how much more up to date does a 20 year old address need to be?

$2000? I'll buy a better portable GPS unit for 1/4 the price and put the other $1500 in to the gas tank...

Old December 3rd 07, 04:24 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

My Name Is Nobody wrote:
> His is a 2007, how much more up to date does a 20 year old address
> need to be?

While his hardware may be a 2007 we don't know what data CD he is using.
I would hope it would also be a 2007 but I don't know. Then again I'd
suspect that even up to the minute data CDs might not have even 20 year
old addresses. All maps have errors and faulty data in them. Google
maps, for instance, still can't find my exact address and it's about as
up to date as any other.

However, still, the age of the data or gripes was not the question I
posed now was it?
> $2000? I'll buy a better portable GPS unit for 1/4 the price and put
> the other $1500 in to the gas tank...

I would think that a portable GPS would not be as integrated (BTW I
believe the GPS/NAV was $1700 - not $2000 but close enough).

This weekend I was at an arts festival and they has some Infinity's all
with GPS systems. I played with them for a while and they were quite
nice. Interestingly one could type in an address and as I did certain
keys would become unavailable. I later figured out that they were
unavailable because based on my input so far, the GPS/NAV system
determined that they no longer applied. That was weird but it seemed to
work well nonetheless. I didn't try the voice activation though. And the
integration with everything else including options settings, radio, etc.
was well done. How is it on the vette?

And that's more of what I was looking for. First, for the manual so I
could just read about it's features and operations by myself. But also
for experience in *using* the thing not simply bitching that it's data
was old or that you can get a portable one cheaper. I mean how does that
help me?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends.

Old December 3rd 07, 04:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:56:04 GMT, "My Name Is Nobody" >
wrote:

>His is a 2007, how much more up to date does a 20 year old address need to be?
>
>$2000? I'll buy a better portable GPS unit for 1/4 the price and put the other $1500 in to the gas tank...

Heck I would Keep the entire $2,000 in the bank....and IF I got lost
I'd stop and buy a cup of Joe and ask directions...

I admit I have a hard time asking directions BUT no way no how is
spending even $500 bucks for a GPS worth the money....

Bob G.
Old December 3rd 07, 06:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
MikeSo

"Bob G." <rg327_remove_comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:56:04 GMT, "My Name Is Nobody" >
> wrote:
>
>>His is a 2007, how much more up to date does a 20 year old address need to
>>be?
>>
>>$2000? I'll buy a better portable GPS unit for 1/4 the price and put the
>>other $1500 in to the gas tank...

> Heck I would Keep the entire $2,000 in the bank....and IF I got lost
> I'd stop and buy a cup of Joe and ask directions...
>
> I admit I have a hard time asking directions BUT no way no how is
> spending even $500 bucks for a GPS worth the money....
>
> Bob G.

I have a Garmin Nuvi handheld that I use in my '04 coupe while my wife has a
built-in GM unit in her '05 Cadillac.

Both offer similar features that can search by address or by one of
thousands of pre-stored "points of interest" ranging from gas stations,
restaurants, shopping malls, hotels, etc. The Garmin does seem to have more
of these than the GM unit. The Garmin also allows for easy updating via the
internet as they periodically post updates to firmware, maps and features.
The GM unit requires the purchase of a new DVD to get the same type of
upgrades.

The GM unit will play DVD's (while the car is parked; not while moving). Not
sure if that is a major plus, but it is an obvious difference.

With both of mine I have not found any errors in the maps, not found a
location I was looking for. Having the Nav systems has been very handy,
especially when on trips. For those who are directionally challenged (my
wife included) it is an invaluable addition.

As to the money spent, the in-dash just adds more value to the car at time
of resale. How many of us, when looking for our cars (or for a new car to
add to the stable) look for the with the best combination of low miles, most
options and the right drivetrain combination? Having the Nav will be a plus.

As for the initial cost ... it won't hurt near as much after the first few
payments! :-)

--

Thanks,
Mike

Old December 3rd 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ric Seyler[_2_]

Bob G. wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:56:04 GMT, "My Name Is Nobody" >
>wrote:
>

>>His is a 2007, how much more up to date does a 20 year old address need to be?
>>
>>$2000? I'll buy a better portable GPS unit for 1/4 the price and put the other $1500 in to the gas tank...
>>

>Heck I would Keep the entire $2,000 in the bank....and IF I got lost
>I'd stop and buy a cup of Joe and ask directions...
>
> I admit I have a hard time asking directions BUT no way no how is
>spending even $500 bucks for a GPS worth the money....
>
>Bob G.

If GM is anything like the Lexus SUV my friend has they want
an absolutely crazy amount of money for the updated NAv CDs also.....

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old December 4th 07, 05:52 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria

MikeSo wrote:
> "Bob G." <rg327_remove_comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:56:04 GMT, "My Name Is Nobody"
>> > wrote:
>>> His is a 2007, how much more up to date does a 20 year old address
>>> need to
>>> be?
>>>
>>> $2000? I'll buy a better portable GPS unit for 1/4 the price and put
>>> the other $1500 in to the gas tank...

>> Heck I would Keep the entire $2,000 in the bank....and IF I got lost
>> I'd stop and buy a cup of Joe and ask directions...
>>
>> I admit I have a hard time asking directions BUT no way no how is
>> spending even $500 bucks for a GPS worth the money....
>>
>> Bob G.

> I have a Garmin Nuvi handheld that I use in my '04 coupe while my wife
> has a built-in GM unit in her '05 Cadillac.
>
> Both offer similar features that can search by address or by one of
> thousands of pre-stored "points of interest" ranging from gas
> stations, restaurants, shopping malls, hotels, etc. The Garmin does
> seem to have more of these than the GM unit. The Garmin also allows
> for easy updating via the internet as they periodically post updates
> to firmware, maps and features. The GM unit requires the purchase of a
> new DVD to get the same type of upgrades.
>
> The GM unit will play DVD's (while the car is parked; not while
> moving). Not sure if that is a major plus, but it is an obvious
> difference.
>
> With both of mine I have not found any errors in the maps, not found a
> location I was looking for. Having the Nav systems has been very
> handy, especially when on trips. For those who are directionally
> challenged (my wife included) it is an invaluable addition.
>
> As to the money spent, the in-dash just adds more value to the car at
> time of resale. How many of us, when looking for our cars (or for a
> new car to add to the stable) look for the with the best combination
> of low miles, most options and the right drivetrain combination?
> Having the Nav will be a plus.
>
> As for the initial cost ... it won't hurt near as much after the first
> few payments! :-)

Thanks. At least some people can read a question and respond to it.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Always proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Old December 4th 07, 02:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dale[_1_]

On or about Sun, 02 Dec 2007 18:40:51 -0700, Andrew DeFaria
> wrote or did cause to be written:

>Any thoughts about the GPS/Nav option in a 2008? I have one on order.
>Meantime I've been trying to download/read the manual to become familiar
>with the options available before the car arrives (truth be told I'm
>chomping at the bit and I figured that perhaps this might help me make
>it through the wait). I have not been able to find out much about the
>GPS/Nav unit, how it works, how you program it, what options are
>available, etc. Any pointers would be helpful.
>
>Thanks.

I LOVE the nav on my 2007. Yes, you have to read the manual because
it isn't as intuitive as some simpler systems but I find it FAR better
than my Garmin. Be sure to read up on the voice commands. Lots of
people complain they don't work but mine works 95% of the time. You
just have to know how to enunciate (no chewing gum while talking) and,
most importantly, speak words it understands instead of what you think
it should understand. For example, "Turn off all the d*&^ icons"
doesn't work. "POI OFF" works every time.

It also integrates with the HUD very well. When a turn is coming the
HUD shows distance to the turn in tenths of a mile as well as the
direction and street name. No need to be looking around inside to get
directions. It's right there on the windshield in front of you.

If you take the time to understand how it works I think, you will be
very happy you bought it instead of trying to tie down a portable in a
machine that easily pulls 1G in the turns or tearing the dash apart to
install an after-market that isn't integrated with the rest of the
electronics.

You can download the manual here -
https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2cont...rvette_nav.pdf