Dodgy fuel

Old March 2nd 07, 06:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mick x

Default Dodgy fuel

Any Audi owners caught out - and if so how well did the limp home mode work?

Old March 3rd 07, 08:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
LeakiestWink

"Mick x" > wrote in message
> Any Audi owners caught out - and if so how well did the limp
> home mode work?

Personally not been affected by the dodgy (allegedly, your Honour
:-) ) fuel, but limp mode on Audis works the same on all cars -
usually restricting engine revs to half the maximum, and
generally running like a bag of $h!t. Whatever caused the limp
mode, the stored fault codes from the ECU will need clearing, and
provided the original cause of the limp mode trigger has been
eliminated, all will be fine again.

Have you been affected, Mick, or know anyone who has?

Rgds, Sean

Old March 4th 07, 03:13 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
Mick x > wrote:

> Any Audi owners caught out - and if so how well did the limp home mode work?

Dunno about others, but my new A3 3.2 can get by on 87 Octane. I've
tried it and it runs well enough. It doesn't hurt the gas milage or
performance for conservative driving but the engine wimps out when you
stomp down the throttle.
Old March 6th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On Mar 3, 10:13 pm, Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:
> In article >,
> Mick x > wrote:
>
> > Any Audi owners caught out - and if so how well did the limp home mode work?

> Dunno about others, but my new A3 3.2 can get by on 87 Octane. I've
> tried it and it runs well enough. It doesn't hurt the gas milage or
> performance for conservative driving but the engine wimps out when you
> stomp down the throttle.

My wife put a tankful of regular in my car last year. Same deal,
didn't run terribly but I could definitely tell when I tried to spool
up the turbo. I do put mid-grade (89) in occasionally and the
performance and mileage are the same as with 91+.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old March 8th 07, 12:25 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jon B

Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:

> In article >,
> Mick x > wrote:
>
> > Any Audi owners caught out - and if so how well did the limp home mode work?

> Dunno about others, but my new A3 3.2 can get by on 87 Octane. I've
> tried it and it runs well enough. It doesn't hurt the gas milage or
> performance for conservative driving but the engine wimps out when you
> stomp down the throttle.

It isn't about octane, but contaminated fuel...

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6409025.stm>

Over in the UK btw we only have the choice of 95 or 97 octane fuel,
nothing as weak as 87.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
Old March 8th 07, 09:27 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark Olson

Jon B wrote:
> Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:
>

>>In article >,
>> Mick x > wrote:
>>

>>>Any Audi owners caught out - and if so how well did the limp home mode work?

>>Dunno about others, but my new A3 3.2 can get by on 87 Octane. I've
>>tried it and it runs well enough. It doesn't hurt the gas milage or
>>performance for conservative driving but the engine wimps out when you
>>stomp down the throttle.

> It isn't about octane, but contaminated fuel...
>
> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6409025.stm>
>
> Over in the UK btw we only have the choice of 95 or 97 octane fuel,
> nothing as weak as 87.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline"
octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United
States and some other countries the headline number is the average of
the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road
Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of
the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in
the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel
elsewhe 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada,
would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON)
as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2.

In high altitude areas of the USA you can purchase 85 AKI fuel which most
normally aspirated cars happily digest with no problems. My 5000CS gets
87 most of the time and is glad to get it...

Video clip to amuse you pick-up drivers (Dodgy) [email protected] Dodge 0 February 14th 07 11:30 PM
dodgy car speaker wiring Jules BMW 2 August 8th 06 11:56 AM
Dodgy start up tonyelkins VW water cooled 5 December 31st 05 02:56 PM
HELP: Mazda truck's transmission dodgy when wet Mike Mella General 0 April 6th 05 12:20 AM
Twitchy Steering on E36? Dodgy Offset? Lordy BMW 15 February 4th 05 08:56 PM