99 C5 - cracked chrome/wheel

Old January 7th 06, 04:11 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 99 C5 - cracked chrome/wheel

(Delurking)

Was out on the road at Xmas & picked up either a cracked R/R wheel - or
just chrome surface crack. Dealer says wheel serial #'s tie to the VIN &
the current wheels were on the vehicle, when it left the factory. BUT the
wheels were NOT chrome at that time & they are now - i.e. aftermarket
chrome job by previous owner (I'm second owner). I'm also told GM don't do
a chrome wheel in my size & the dealer wanted to put on an aluminum wheel
& charge $600 - I said no.

So, the crack is near the hub on one spoke (5-spoke wheels) and goes right
round the chrome surface. But from the feel of it, does NOT go all the way
through. So, it could just be a poor aftermarket chrome defect......or it
could be a crack in the wheel itself, that might fail at speed.

Q. Do I spend a bunch on a new set of matching rims, is there any way of
telling definitively if it's just a surface blemish & does anyone know of
a place that is easier on the $$$$, selling new rims in Arizona ?

Hope someone can help..............THX.

Old January 7th 06, 05:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Rufio wrote:
> (Delurking)
>
> Hope someone can help..............THX.

See if you find someone who can use modern NDT technology on the rim - I
think an eddy current inspection would reveal the depth of the crack. So
might an X-ray.

Even if the crack is superficial - just in a layer of chromium - you
still have an issue with moisture or whatever getting trapped in it and
causing various sorts of corrosion of the underlying metals. I think the
rim should be replated or the crack somehow filled. (Of course if you
noticed the crack then the fill will glare at you....)

-- V

Old January 8th 06, 08:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

If you bawked at the 600$ replacement , why would you consider a whole new
set?. Sand down the crack to see what your working with. for peace of mind
mostly.If wheel is cracked. remove it.If its just the chrome, live with it
or paint it or replate it

--
RS
2002 1200C

Old January 8th 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On 8-Jan-2006, "RS" > wrote:

> If you bawked at the 600$ replacement , why would you consider a whole
> new
> set?. Sand down the crack to see what your working with. for peace of mind
>
> mostly.If wheel is cracked. remove it.If its just the chrome, live with it
>
> or paint it or replate it

Mine is peeling where the lug nut covers are. I see there's hex nuts there
as if it can be removed and replaced. BTW they are stock '98 wheels.

--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht. =^..^=
http://BrokerAgentTraining.com http://over100percent.com
Old January 9th 06, 06:12 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

RS wrote:
> If you bawked at the 600$ replacement , why would you consider a whole new
> set?. Sand down the crack to see what your working with. for peace of mind
> mostly.If wheel is cracked. remove it.If its just the chrome, live with it
> or paint it or replate it

Here's the GM bulletin on the subject. Probably written by the legal
department but it does have some general guidance.

<< http://www.theccre.com/html/wheels1.html >>
--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe
Old January 13th 06, 03:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Thanks for the bulletin. I've printed it off & might just take it along to
a different Chevrolet dealer, here in Phoenix.

As for balking at $600 - it's a value for money question, rather than
total cost - I don't have a problem paying $2000-$2500 for 4 new (wider)
rims & F1's. But I did have a problem paying $600 for 1 mismatched rim.

Anyway, driving home tonight, I was slicing through traffic, when I found
myself in the presence of royalty - a Lamborghini Murcielago. I have to
say I went weak at the knees, listening to that V-12. But it only goes to
show - the more expensive a car is, the less likely the driver is to drive
it FAST (my last ticket was 93mph in a 40 limit, which I was fortunate to
get wiped off with traffic school) - I tend to drive less than 25 mph over
the limit most of the time now.

Q. I really like the balance that I get from 245's on the front & 275's on
the rear - what can I get (wider) with the same sort of balance - would
315's & 275's balance & would they fit (on wider rims) with no
modifications to my 99 C5 ?

THX.