1970s driveability

Old August 25th 03, 09:42 PM
Ted S

Default 1970s driveability

I know that the horsepower and torque of American V8s got
progressively lower between 1968 and 1979. My question isnt about
power, it's about "driveability" (hard starting, stalling, hesitation,
pinging, dieseling, etc.)

I have been considering a Chevy from these years as a daily driver.
My instinct tells me to avoid the later models with EGR (1973+) and/or
catalytic converters (1975+) because of reduced power and possible
problems with these devices. But some things I have read suggested
that the '70-'72 models are *more* susceptible to driveability
problems because GM was trying to meet the new emissions standards by
just detuning the old engines. Supposedly these cars ran real hot and
were susceptible to pinging, hesitation, hard starting, and other
problems.

Also, for ease of maintenance I am interested in a model with a
minimum of underhood plumbing and wiring. A '67 would be the best,
but I grew up in the '70s and these are the years I remember most. I
am not looking for a drag racer, just a smooth responsive car that's
fun to drive. So my question is, did the 1970s "new technology" like
EGR and catalytic converters help driveability, or make it even worse?
And which model years are best in this regard?

By the way... buying a '75 and replacing the intake and exhaust isn't
an option for me. The car has to pass the state's "visual" smog
inspection. So if it had cats, EGR, or even a thermostatic air
cleaner, they have to stay on the car

Please share your thoughts!
Ted S
Old August 31st 03, 12:04 PM
Halterb

Hi Ted,

Saw your message and a couple of things connected--mentioning a 67, and talking
about the 70's. I may be in a kind of unique position to share thoughts with
you having had a 67 Pontiac LeMans since new and a 76 Cadillac since new. Even
the 67 wasn't free of at least some emission control features, and the 76
systems aren't really that complex. I would not say there was any noticable
difference in "driveability" between my 67 and 76--both of them require decent
maintenance to run at their best. Actually, the electric choke on the 76
performs a whole lot better than the mechanical one on the 67, is a lot less
touchy and requires much less care.

The 76 has a decent engine, 500 cid. I understand some race car builders like
to use these engines as a base for their powerplants. The car is very
responsive and a "strong runner"! Problems I am currently having are a rough
idle and noisy exhaust, both of which would seem to be simple matters but have
turned out to be very difficult, complicated by trying to figure out what to do
about the catalytic converter (the original equipment no longer being
available).

Hope this is of some help.