1973 NASA Hood question

Old June 29th 05, 07:22 AM
Johns.junk

Default 1973 NASA Hood question

Hi all,

I have a 1973 mustang coupe (351C, FMX). I'm thinking of replacing the
stock hood with a NASA type.

Questions:

1. Are OEM NASA hoods still available?
2. Is there a repro NASA hood that someone recommends?
3. Is it difficult to replace the hood yourself? I have some
mechnical experience (ok, I rebuilt the engine by myself once, and the
suspension twice). If I had an engine hoist or some other kind of
lift, would I be able to replace the hood with the help of a friend?
Or should I just let a professional do it?
4. If I should let a professional do it, any names in the Phoenix
Arizona area that I should inquire with?

Thanks to all,

John

Old June 29th 05, 02:37 PM
trainfan1

Johns.junk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a 1973 mustang coupe (351C, FMX). I'm thinking of replacing the
> stock hood with a NASA type.

NACA, technically. NACA was the predecessor organization to NASA &
developed the "duct" we are familiar with.

http://images.google.com/images?&q=n...ct&btnG=Search

BUT, you will get much better search results with a search on "NASA"...
that's what Ford used(Ford wanted to associate with the popular NASA
space program).

http://carpartsdiscount.zoovy.com/product/528186A
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...p?T1=16612B+01

> 3. Is it difficult to replace the hood yourself? I have some
> mechnical experience (ok, I rebuilt the engine by myself once, and the
> suspension twice). If I had an engine hoist or some other kind of
> lift, would I be able to replace the hood with the help of a friend?

Didn't you take the hood off to get the engine out?

> Or should I just let a professional do it?

The paint, if you use the factory-style blackout, is tricky...:

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/63658/index1.html

> 4. If I should let a professional do it, any names in the Phoenix
> Arizona area that I should inquire with?

Rob

Old June 30th 05, 06:11 AM
Johns.junk

Actually, when I said I have rebuit my engine, I only really rebuilt
the heads. I got those off and on without removing the hood.

So I've never removed a hood and am worried about getting it straight
so that it's even and doesn't close crooked. Does the hood weigh alot?

Thanks,

John

Old June 30th 05, 08:36 AM
Doug & Stephanie

two guys can have the hood off in seconds - scribe a line where the hinge
meets the hood - mark it on two sides - easy.

ups.com...