Will EA patch NSR?

Old February 26th 05, 03:51 AM
AlenlorDRot

Default Will EA patch NSR?

I see lots of people saying, they will fix it in the patch, or it will be
addressed in the patch. My experience with EA games in the past is that
their patches typically deal with uniform changes or roster changes
instead of actual changes to the game. EA's patches to game mechanics
usually arrive as next years model.

I've got NT04 and have heard enough of NSR to believe it didn't address
most of the problems I had with that version. Is there some 'patch
knowledge' I haven't found on Google?

Otherwise, I would expect any EA patch to address the length of Dale Jr's
razor stubble before it would address any game issues. Or perhaps a more
in depth detail on Mark Martin's wrinkles. Just as their NFL games
advertise more celebratory butt shaking on the box covers instead of
trying to simulate football.

Old February 26th 05, 04:01 AM
JC

Take it for what it's worth.

**************************************
I wanted to answer questions Mr. Nobody had on another thread. I have spoken
with EA and want to post some responses, as well as my feedback on some of
these questions.

Some of the questions and answers do overlap, but I will do my best. Also
note, EA is not really doing just one patch. There is quite a few updates EA
plans to do on NSR. It's not going to be like some titles that comes out
with just 1 patch, then the following year come out with another game that I
remember so many times, people say "N3 is nothing more than a patched N2" or
N4 is nothing more than a patched N3" and so on. Don't get me wrong, I love
many of the Papyrus titles and NR2003. NR2003 will be supported on OLR for a
long time, as long as the mod community keeps it alive. We will continue to
run free pickup races on OLR, so people will have a place to race, as well
as continuing to work on keeping our Cheat Detection Software updated. We
are hoping to have another updated release on cheat detection soon.
Below are the answers to the questions Mr. Nobody posted.

1.-Why Do you allow those who edit the physics to still join the server?

Answer: The reason for this; because with NSR, they want to allow NSR to be
customizable for people to run different mods, sounds, and other features.
There is a possibility in one of the future updates to allow only original
files to allowed from server end, but when dealing with programming, when
making corrections to one end, could cause issues on other ends. In one of
the future updates, admins will be able to log onto the race and boot the
driver from within the game. I guess it's the same as OLR software. We are
going to come out with an update to our cheat detection, so it's announced
within NR2003 if somebody is running with a modified exe. If you are running
a cheat, it will say this, and the admin will have the ability to boot the
driver. It's pretty much the same way.

2. -So far I have been able to race online in servers after I modified by
Restrictor plate file. -So far I have been able to race online after
altering my car height. -Vote feature you have now for this is very
ineffective. You telling me if I run a Dedicated server and once we have the
option to boot people. It takes a vote to get cheaters out of servers if an
Admin is not there to personally boot them. How is that focused on the
online community?
Answer: Same as answer to question one. In the future update, an admin will
have the ability from within the came to boot them. The vote feature is
cool, if you are telling me an admin ingame is not around. Again, one of the
features they are looking at is the possibility to run only original files.

3. RAM CHEAT WORKS JUST FINE IN NSR. -This is a crazy cheat to be allowed to
get into the retail version after it is so widely known.
-Works identical to the problem that was in NR03

Answer: That is pretty much the same in all retail games. On the RAM Cheats,
EA will look into this, once they can get the leagues and multiplayer issues
addressed in the initial releases. With OLR, once we get the game dispatch
completed to run NSR from within the OLR Arena, we will have the ability to
check for RAM cheats.

4. Online Racing is a Mess. 1. Could You Please Actually Enforce The
Nextel Cup Rules -It is crazy, No Merge BF..
-Yellows come out and it is a Mess. Yellows in NSR are horrendous. Not
handled correctly.
-In some Races on My server & Others their was NO BF for speeding on Pit
Road during Race. I mean 20 to 30 MPH above limit.

Answer: The issues to question 4 will be addressed on the first release. EA
is already working on this and have significant fixes in place already. I
will have them post an update when the first update patch will be released.
As mentioned, they have corrected many of the BF issues, and will have this
done, as well as the Dodge Charger 2005 shape on first release.

5. NO Control for Server Admins.
-Cannot Boot People.
-Cannot give people BF for anything. (Speeding, Merging, Ect..) -Cannot
Set Timer so server will go from Practice, Qual, Race.

Answer: around the 3 or so update, they will be working on this. First
course of action is to get the BF issues resolved, then focus on car
jitters, and admin controls from within the game.

6. Netcode is Poor.
-People (All on BroadBand) in the turns are warping all over. This is
with only 8 to 10 racers. This Happens on almost all servers in turns.
- People Join a Race, everyone warps. (Server Pause)

Answer: After the first release, EA will hit the netcode on the 2nd/3rd
update.

5. Track Lengths are Inaccurate.
-That is why many of us are beating actual Nextel Cup Records with
default Setups. Bristol, Phoenix, and many others are not to scale in
terms on the tracks length. Half mile is a Half Mile. a Track .533 is
..533, NOT .503 in distance. This is why our times seem so fast. the
tracks are not replicated in distance correctly.

Answer: Not sure on this one. EA receives the specs from the Track
engineers. What equations are you using for .503? EA is checking any
documentation or going over the tracks to make sure it has the correct
information on the screens, but the programming side, from what they
received from the track engineers is correct. I need more specifics on how
you are gathering the track lengths.

6. Car Models.....
-What can be said after 18 months of development. No One watched an
actual race? Did they watch the race Sunday? Why are the cars in NSR
narrow and tall, yet it does not take 18 months of development to watch
1 race and see Nextel Cup cars are wide (Compared to those in NSR) and
not near as tall (Compared to NSR). This seems basic need for the
immersion factor.

Answer: After the initial updates with BF issues, Netcode, Admin controls
from within game, and other admin fixes, they plan to check into the ride
height and width. I think part of this is moving the wheels out a little
more and dropping the rear a little more. I know this will also be looked
at.

6. Grip/Ability to slam into others online is way to High.
-No way at Daytona should I be able to nail a guy in the bumper as he
merges out of pits, and just have his car push forward a bit. We should
wreck. No Way I can slam into someone in the side and bumper mid-turn
doing 180+ and not have his car move.
-That's not racing, that is just bumper cars with Nascar Logo's.
-Look at Saturday's and Sundays race or even the Twin 150's. You bump
someone to hard they are going around, and/or getting loose and squirley
(JG & Jimmie in 150's are perfect example.) There is NO fear of this in
NSR. You can blast someone and little happens. Fun for the masses, but
to advertise this as a sim it does nothing for realism. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Answer: That's a catch 22 here. I have raced online and you can wreck
somebody. At first when I tried to bump another driver to wreck him, I
noticed I wasn't successful the first time, so I tried again and was able to
spin out Matt Thomas. lol. Now, at first I was disappointed. After thinking
about it from an admin's standpoint, I was happy. I would like a show of
hands from admins. How many times have you received replays from 2 different
drivers on the same wreck and have completely different versions of the same
accident? I have seem races when I was behind a wreck and didn't see anybody
touch, yet the other driver spins out and his race is over? Hell, if I have
a dime for every time I've seen this, I would be rich. I noticed on NR2003,
this is very common; because you are dealing with the interest. IMO, that's
not racing. To practice an entire week for your league race to get taken out
by another driver, then see his replay and looks different. Again, it's a
catch 22. I agree on one side, it will make drivers race with no fear, but
if races are reviewed after it's done and see drivers making these type of
moves and hitting drivers, they will be penalized. Or in races in which
admins are monitoring the races, they can issue penalties once the update
comes out with the ability to do this. I think if you weight this on both
sides, you will see I would prefer the above, then barely touching or not
touching and getting wrecked. Can it be tweaked? Maybe a little more, but
not like how NR2003 is.

7. Rear View Mirror detail Needs Fixed.
- I know you can edit the plr files to improved the shape and Draw
Distance. - How about allowing FULL detail in Mirror. -How about allowing
when A car comes up behind allow for it to look
realistic with a shadow and in full detail.

Answer: In the future releases, EA will check into this. It will be one of
the later releases; because some of this is personal preference. How one
person likes' their mirror is different than another person. EA's focus was
more on higher FPS, then more details. At the same time, they understand
people want to see this. They will check into making changes after they get
the netcode, bf, and league administrations some completed first.

8. Car Shadows & Reflections.
- The shadows and reflections just do not appear realistic. Load up NR03
or even Heat. At least the reflections and shadows appear to make the
cars look real.

Answer: This is another thing can they check out in future updates toward
the end. Some are better than others when comparing NR2003 to NSR. I know
the road glare is something people thought was cool.

I'm sure this post didn't answer to everybody's expectations, but I will say
this guys. EA is going to work on doing a lot of updates and it's with great
feedback from the sim community, that we can have them make the changes
needed. Even if it's not to my expectations to switch Flashpoint, I still
plan to create NSR leagues and will continue to support them, so we can see
this game evolve into something awesome. If the majority see drastic changes
with updates, especially with admin functions and we feel it's ready, we
will switch to NSR for season 2, but again, this will be up to the
Flashpoint community. Even so, OLR and Flashpoint will continue to support
NR2003 and mods.

I will do my best to keep you updated.

_____________________________

Joe Lomas
President
Onlineracin.com,Inc.

Old February 26th 05, 04:27 AM
AlenlorDRot

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:01:59 -0500, JC wrote:

5. NO Control for Server Admins.
> -Cannot Boot People.
> -Cannot give people BF for anything. (Speeding, Merging, Ect..) -Cannot
> Set Timer so server will go from Practice, Qual, Race.
>
> Answer: around the 3 or so update, they will be working on this. First
> course of action is to get the BF issues resolved, then focus on car
> jitters, and admin controls from within the game.
>
> _____________________________
>
> Joe Lomas
> President
> Onlineracin.com,Inc.

I appreciate your opinion and hope you are right. My concern is that for
EA in the past update 1 fixed graphical problems such as team uniforms or
stadiums and update 2 was next years version. I'm glad you will continue
to support N2k3 as I will continue to play it.

Old February 26th 05, 07:17 AM
Larry

The patch quality, or lack of, will indeed set the pace for EA and it's
Nascar SIM from now on.

They have made a lot of promises and so far haven't delivered on the hype.

If they would have just called it "The next generation of Thunder" people
probably would have been incredibly pleased with the result, but NSR was
hyped as an all-new, best there is SIM and it's just like that right now.

If they fix it up with patches and do right by simmers then things will be
ok.

If, as in EA's past, golden master really does mean golden master until the
next years release then they will have ended their journey with simmers
before it ever started.

I remember a quote in an interview somewhere that said basically "We will
keep a couple of guys on it a few months after release". That scared me
right away and didn't show full commitment to the community.

This thing is kinda like buying a new AMC Gremlin back in the 70's.

"Damn, I got a new car!".

"Damn, it's a Gremlin"

-Larry

newsan.2005.02.26.02.51.35.67000@%23%23hotmail.! !moc...

Old February 26th 05, 10:13 AM
Edgecrusher

I think no, 40% of people couldnt play NHL2005 due to controller problems. The game was released in September yet there
still hasnt been a fix for it.

The patch will be a full cost NSR06 in about 12 months time and that will still include all the faults of NSR while only
having superficial tweaks and "improvements" like paint schemes and gimmicks.

_____

Steve

"Military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense."

Old February 28th 05, 07:38 PM
Nuggetz

I really hope they do. Plus, I'm not conviced that the above text is
from EA. NR2003 is still a much more refined game. I started playing
2003 again after I bought NSR and I'm having a great time. Check out
the replays in 2003 and compare them to NSR. 2003 actually looks closer
to real footage than the cartoony look of NSR. If Sony can squeeze the
kind of graphics out of a PS2 (Gran Turismo 4) then why the hell does
NSR look the way it does after 18 months of dev? If this keeps up,
consoles will dominitate and PC gaming will be a dying beast. And I'd
hate for that to happen. PC's rule. Consoles are for 12 year old,
pimply faced punks.

Try The Patch Not The Pill Azam Chrysler 0 January 15th 05 07:19 AM
gtr no cd patch mjones53 Simulators 2 December 19th 04 03:39 PM
GTR Patch? ZZ Simulators 5 December 11th 04 05:38 PM
Plugs on tires- they fixed it with a internal patch, not a plug . . . news BMW 2 October 6th 04 03:43 PM
Help: Where can I find an Audi TT jacket patch? JDS Audi 2 August 26th 04 06:54 PM