California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written Tests

Old September 12th 07, 05:14 AM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_1_]

Default California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & WrittenTests

M. MacDonald wrote:

> Cripes!
>
> Just take whatever bike you got down to the DMV on a Sunday and practice.
> It's really easy.

I got mine when they first started requiring separate MC licenses. The guy
said "Just ride down to the end of the parking lot shifting through as many
gears as you can, turn around and come back." I got my 1960 Ducati up to 4th.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old September 12th 07, 02:48 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech,rec.motorcycles
Fake Name

Default California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written Tests (anti-lock brakes coming)

>Huh? Is this true? I have a K1200 with ABS and I never notice it.
>The bike just brakes the way it's supposed to.

I'm fairly sure that ABS systems are supposed to shut off at low
speeds or else you could never come to a full stop. I think my car's
speed is either 5MPH or 15MPH where the ABS turns on and off.
Old September 13th 07, 01:30 AM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech,rec.motorcycles
Marco S Hyman

Fake Name > writes:

> >Huh? Is this true? I have a K1200 with ABS and I never notice it.
> >The bike just brakes the way it's supposed to.

> I'm fairly sure that ABS systems are supposed to shut off at low
> speeds or else you could never come to a full stop. I think my car's
> speed is either 5MPH or 15MPH where the ABS turns on and off.

If the OP was using the first generation of electro-assisted ABS
brakes on a beemer he have found that the brakes, especially
when controlled by the foot lever, were *extremely* sensitive.
It has nothing to do with ABS per say, just that only bikes with
ABS had the electro-assisted linked brakes. The early R1150RT
were famous for this. Also, the brakes were fully linked so too
the foot lever also activated the front brakes.

However, failing the test only means that the rider hadn't yet
learned to fully control his bike. In fairness I doubt if I'd
have been able to pass the test the first week of owning my R1150RT.
It did take some practice.

BMW got enough complaints that there were some minor modifications
made within the first 6 months (if my memory is correct) that helped
reduce the foot lever sensitivity.

// marc