"Saturn's VUE new, improved"

Old May 9th 04, 03:22 AM
Mike

Default "Saturn's VUE new, improved"

Saturn's VUE new, improved
By Tom Keane
MOTOR MATTERS
Published May 7, 2004

Two years ago Saturn introduced a sport utility vehicle called VUE.
Then Saturn's designers went back to the drawing board so they now
have the new and improved version.
The 2004 VUE has numerous attractive features making this a more
enjoyable all-around vehicle for any occasion -- a versatility that
the original version lacked. Most of the improvements are subtle but
very desirable. For example, it now features dual-stage air bags and
the front seat belts have pretensioners. Both of those features are
only noticeable in an accident; I didn't check them out.
Those who buy the optional comfort package will find a six-way
power driver's seat with lumbar support and heated driver and
passenger seats.
A DVD rear-seat entertainment system is ideal when traveling a
distance with children. The 7-inch LCD will keep their attention for
hours -- if you select the right show. OnStar and XM Satellite radio
are also options, and three new radio systems are available. The test
vehicle was equipped with a stereo that played CD and MP3, but I
stayed tuned to XM Satellite and listened to the same channel I play
in my home: Sunny.
Another change is a 16-gallon tank that holds about a gallon more
than the original VUE; a change you might not notice.
But you might notice how the acoustical changes have made the
interior much quieter.
Interior changes can be seen on the nickel-plated door handles,
the backlit cluster sporting white instrument gauges with chrome
rings, and the leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel.
These changes aren't going to jump out at you, but there is one
that will.
The exterior is now available is an Electric Lime color, which is
so unusual it will take at least a week to get used to it. Even after
a week, I wasn't too thrilled about the color. Incidentally, body
panels are now resistant to parking-lot dings.
I was thrilled with the new engine. The test Saturn had the
optional $2,000 Red Line performance package. This package consists of
a lower suspension, 18-inch tires and alloy wheels, chrome exhaust
tips and a snazzy-looking front fascia. The combination made the VUE
somewhat sporty and it handles very well, especially in hard turns.
The electric power steering is calibrated to give the VUE a sporty
feel.
Under the hood is a 3.5-liter V-6 engine that is about half a
liter stronger than in the old V-6 model. This new engine generates
250 horsepower and 242 foot-pounds of torque to make the old engine
seem comparatively sluggish.
Saturn people tell me it can do 0 to 60 mph in 7 seconds. That's
not earth-shattering speed but I felt comfortable with the
acceleration, especially when entering a freeway.
Another advantage to the additional power is in towing ability.
The VUE can pull 3,500 pounds compared with 2,500 pounds on the old
model.
This engine is linked to a five-speed automatic transmission that
has grade-logic control, which eliminates that annoying up-and-down
shifting when climbing a hill.
The VUE was also equipped with the all-wheel-drive option, which
is a great safety feature for when roads are slick with either snow or
rain.
I liked the way the liftgate raised, exposing a useful amount of
storage space. There are numerous storage compartments throughout the
VUE. Should there be
a need for hauling something large, there are the 70/30 split rear
seats, and the backrest of the front seat can be folded down.
The base price is $23,960, but with the numerous options the
bottom line on the test vehicle was $28,745, about $3,000 more than
the old model -- and much nicer.
Old May 9th 04, 03:30 PM
marx404

Thanks for the great article. These are some good points to tell people who
were dissapointed when shopping for a VUE last year. I compared an '03 then
a '04 side by side and definately noticed the steering and new V6 power
difference. Many more amenieties that can personalize your VUE. Can't do
that with a CRV or Escape.

I notice that the article didnt mention that the '04 can now be Flat Towed
behind a RV camper (all but the VTi models). That's a biggie for RV'ers who
passed up the VUE last year because of that.

marx404
www.saturnofstuart.com

Old May 28th 04, 12:34 AM
Matt Hayden

"marx404" > wrote in message >...
> Thanks for the great article. These are some good points to tell people who
> were dissapointed when shopping for a VUE last year. I compared an '03 then
> a '04 side by side and definately noticed the steering and new V6 power
> difference. Many more amenieties that can personalize your VUE. Can't do
> that with a CRV or Escape.
>
> I notice that the article didnt mention that the '04 can now be Flat Towed
> behind a RV camper (all but the VTi models). That's a biggie for RV'ers who
> passed up the VUE last year because of that.
>
> marx404
> www.saturnofstuart.com

I have an '04 VUE and it's a big departure from the earlier ones.
Saturn really got this one right (at least so far)...

mh