air flow meter

Old January 31st 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
vivfazer

Default air flow meter

I've been told cuz i've changed the air flow meter the ecu needs
resetting,
is this true ?

Old January 31st 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Jan 31, 12:52 pm, "vivfazer" > wrote:
> I've been told cuz i've changed the air flow meter the ecu needs
> resetting,
> is this true ?

Um.... Year and model? & who told you this?

My experience has been that the ECU more-or-less resets itself after a
couple of hundred miles of normal driving (or sooner). Furthermore, I
do not believe that the meter has quiescent current going through it,
so how would the ECU know the difference?

"Many and strange" are pollution controls, but this seems stranger
than most.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old January 31st 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
vivfazer

The passat is a 1999 tdi 110 bhp,the chap where i got the air flow meter
from said it my need resetting after i had told him since i put the new
meter on the car smoked.I put the original meter back on and it stopped
the smoking.

Old January 31st 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

sounds like you got a bad NEW MAF.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old January 31st 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Jan 31, 2:59 pm, "vivfazer" > wrote:
> The passat is a 1999 tdi 110 bhp,the chap where i got the air flow meter
> from said it my need resetting after i had told him since i put the new
> meter on the car smoked.I put the original meter back on and it stopped
> the smoking.

Seems like they gave you the wrong meter... or it was defective. I
seem to remember you stated that it was the same part-number... All
digits or only the last 6 (8)? That does not seem right at all that a
passive part should cause smoking when replaced.... Experts out there?
Your experience?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old February 1st 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jonny

If its the mass air flow sensor, you have to set it up. You can just
replace it.
--
Jonny
lkaboutautos.com...

Old February 1st 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Jan 31, 9:09 pm, "Jonny" > wrote:
> If its the mass air flow sensor, you have to set it up. You can just
> replace it.

I assume you mean "can't"... Sure. There is an idle-adjust, but that
has nothing to do with the software in the ECU. And the actual results
seem to bear this out. If the ECU required resetting with the
replacement of the MAF, the car should have smoked either way... and
needed resetting twice.

Sorry, I still suspect that the new part is defective. And it would
not be the first time. I have to also assume that the new part was
adjusted at installation if done at the dealer.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA