Alignment? Problem

Old January 19th 05, 06:51 AM
john smith

Default Alignment? Problem

It needs an alignment and by someone that knows what they are doing. A
four wheel alignment is critical and a pain in the ass to do properly.
Now, you do need to make sure that all your bushings are good as I have
a 92 and mine were shot. I bought a complete set of Urethane bushings
from Mid America. Once you know all the components are in good working
order you will need to ask around. It does not matter that the
alignment machine is new or laser. What matters is the technician knows
what they are doing. Also, be sure to sit in the car when the alignment
is done so the specs are with you in the car. If you weigh 200 or more
you will mess with the alignment...

Old January 19th 05, 11:41 AM
Joel Jacobs

"john smith" > wrote in message
> It needs an alignment and by someone that knows what they are doing. A
> four wheel alignment is critical and a pain in the ass to do properly.
> Now, you do need to make sure that all your bushings are good as I have a
> 92 and mine were shot. I bought a complete set of Urethane bushings from
> Mid America. Once you know all the components are in good working order
> you will need to ask around. It does not matter that the alignment
> machine is new or laser. What matters is the technician knows what they
> are doing. Also, be sure to sit in the car when the alignment is done so
> the specs are with you in the car. If you weigh 200 or more you will mess
> with the alignment...

John,

I appreciate your response, but it ain't like this is my first C4. On the
contrary it's my 4th and I have more than 300,000 miles in C4s, another
40,000+ miles in C5s. I know these cars. Thus, my post asking for
specifics. And, while I weigh more than 200 lbs that has NEVER been a
problem in past cars, nor this one. I have half dozen C4 buddies that have
equal experience with C4s and all weigh more than 200 lbs. So, let me
restate my problem, with a couple of additions, just to clarify:

I took my C4 in for a 4-wheel alignment to a place where I have been having
4-wheel alignments done for the past 3 C4s. When I went in my car was NOT
pulling to the right. When I left, it was. I went back. We talked. We
disagreed.

I put new tires on it. Then, went back, telling them, "Nope." So. I took it
to another place - another place that I trust. They told me it is out, but
that they could not fix it, due to a limitation on their machines.

So, I took it to a third place. A Chevy dealership where I have been having
cars worked on, off and on, for more than 20 years. The owner is a personal
friend. I know EVERYONE in the dealership. The dealership Service Manager
and the Head Service Writers (they race Vettes and Camaros) spent two hours
on the car, and when done, the car still pulls to the right. AND, the
steering wheel is still not centered. (That last sentence is 1/2 new
information."

Bushings are good. Now, I ask again: Anybody got some clues to offer up
before I drive the car 80 miles to a Technician that I've known for 25 years
and has worked on three of my previous Corvettes?

Maybe it's C6 time.

Old January 19th 05, 09:40 PM
Charles Spitzer

are there any shims that could have fallen out? i know i had an 89 that
looked like it had severe bowleg when viewed from the rear because the
alignment shop had left out a shim on one side. that might be a reason why
the 2nd shop couldn't correct it.

what about a misaligned steering rack? when i was autoxing, right before my
runs i would realign the rack a couple of turns to get some toein, then
before driving home, would put it back.

Old January 19th 05, 11:04 PM
Joel Jacobs

Thanks to all who have responded. I am going to drive it 80 miles tomorrow
to a mechanic I know who does the best Corvette work of anyone I have ever
seen. Will post the results. Thanks again.

Old January 22nd 05, 03:07 PM
Kickstart

"Joel Jacobs" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all who have responded. I am going to drive it 80 miles
> tomorrow to a mechanic I know who does the best Corvette work of anyone I
> have ever seen. Will post the results. Thanks again.

I would be interested in hearing what he finds.
It sounds as though something maybe cracked, worn or broken and only moves
from the stress of the moving car making it pull and not while on the
alignment rack.
Where did the second shop find the problem they couldn't fix ? front or rear
?
You didn't say

Kickstart