Will iRacing ever produce a PC sim ?

Old September 13th 05, 02:40 PM
Sidney H Bridge

Byron Forbes wrote:
> "Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
> .uk...
>
>>Praxiteles Democritus wrote:

>>>http://www.gamestats.com/objects/003/003337/
>>>IndyCar Racing 2
>>>
>>>Release Date: 12/12/96
>>>http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/g...x2/review.html
>>>Grand Prix II
>>>
>>>Release Date: 06/30/1996

>>The original DOS only version of ICR2 was released in November/December
>>1995. I know cos I bought it then!
>>
>>From Alison Hine's site:
>>
>>"But oh, those graphics! While the original version of ICR2 was
>>state-of-the-art in late 1995 when it was released, its graphics have
>>since been eclipsed by GP2, which has much better texture mapping and a
>>variety of visual improvements which lend greater realism. When GP2 came
>>out in the summer of 96, this realism was so appealing that I stopped
>>playing ICR2 altogether."

> And even with 6 months extra cpu evolution, at a time when cpu evolution
> rate was VERY high, GP2 still ran like a pig. GP2 was good for testing
> sessions and a glimpse of the future unless you liked being a slow mo league
> king with the keyboard. Just junk really.

Exactly. A silly little hotlap toy for F1 fanboys, and nothing more.
Old September 13th 05, 02:51 PM
Praxiteles Democritus

On 13 Sep 2005 01:03:03 -0700, "jason moyer" > wrote:

>Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
>
>> http://www.gamestats.com/objects/003/003337/
>> IndyCar Racing 2
>>
>> Release Date: 12/12/96

>That's when the reissue as CART Racing came out. ICR2 was summer of 95.

It says ICR2 on that website and not CART. But you may be correct as I
also had the Dos version and I now seem to remember playing it before
GP2.
Old September 13th 05, 02:56 PM
Praxiteles Democritus

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:38:25 GMT, Sidney H Bridge
> wrote:

>Wrong, sonny.

OK, gramps.
Old September 13th 05, 03:36 PM
Sidney H Bridge

Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:38:25 GMT, Sidney H Bridge
> > wrote:
>

>>Wrong, sonny.

> OK, gramps.

NP, boy.
Old September 13th 05, 04:40 PM
ymenard

>"Byron Forbes" > wrote
> And even with 6 months extra cpu evolution, at a time when cpu
> evolution
> rate was VERY high, GP2 still ran like a pig. GP2 was good for testing
> sessions and a glimpse of the future unless you liked being a slow mo
> league
> king with the keyboard. Just junk really.

Technically anybody could run GP2 with all the graphics at 25fps...

....It would just take you 4 minutes to go around the circuit

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old September 13th 05, 04:58 PM
Sidney H Bridge

ymenard wrote:
>>"Byron Forbes" > wrote
>> And even with 6 months extra cpu evolution, at a time when cpu
>>evolution
>>rate was VERY high, GP2 still ran like a pig. GP2 was good for testing
>>sessions and a glimpse of the future unless you liked being a slow mo
>>league
>>king with the keyboard. Just junk really.

> Technically anybody could run GP2 with all the graphics at 25fps...
>

> ...It would just take you 4 minutes to go around the circuit

More importantly, to me it never felt like the car had wheels.
Old September 13th 05, 07:24 PM
Tony Rickard

ymenard wrote:

> Technically anybody could run GP2 with all the graphics at 25fps...
>
> ...It would just take you 4 minutes to go around the circuit

I thought I had lightening reflexes but then I upgraded my PC...
Old September 13th 05, 09:46 PM
jason moyer

Sidney H Bridge wrote:

> Exactly. A silly little hotlap toy for F1 fanboys, and nothing more.

Except that GP2 (and 3 and 4) actually have AI that can complete laps
without smashing headfirst into every barrier, and generally behave
like humans.

If anything was a "silly little hotlap toy" it was the EA F1 series ISI
put out, since both the multiplayer and the AI sucked dick.

Old September 13th 05, 09:49 PM
jason moyer

jason moyer wrote:

> If anything was a "silly little hotlap toy" it was the EA F1 series ISI
> put out, since both the multiplayer and the AI sucked dick.

That sounds harsher than I intended. What I meant really, is that the
only good thing about the ISI series were the physics. The Crammond
games were excellent in every area *except* the physics and multiplayer.

Old September 14th 05, 12:22 AM
ymenard

>"jason moyer" > wrote
> That sounds harsher than I intended. What I meant really, is that the
> only good thing about the ISI series were the physics. The Crammond
> games were excellent in every area *except* the physics and multiplayer.

The Crammond series was plagued with so many idiosyncrasies that it's no
surprise that Geoff ain't able to release a sim anymore. It's a relic of
the 80's way of making a game. iRacing has much more chances of producing a
quality sim than him lending his name on a box.

The friggin menus were the same in GP4 than those in World Circuit.
That's one of the big gripe, he never understood proper gui, that tree
branching of menus in the system was so poor, so against any proper
logistic. The game engine, the file architecture, all those little thingies
are all relics of past times. That friggin bmp of a hand wiping your visor
that stuck for oh-so-many-releases. The way even in GP4, it wasn't true 3d
with many sprites and 2d process of the physics. The time-stretching was
the worse thing of all, its an abomination of all things gaming-wise, the
way it would put out of synch any kind of multiplayer racing because of its
illogic nature.

Geoff, SKIP frames, don't stretch time on your next game if you ever release
one.

He's the only modern game developper who still worked in assemblor. The
only other one I know, in modern gaming, was that guy who made the Roller
Coaster Tycoon games.