1998 Stratus vibration when accelerating

Old September 18th 12, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
greybuck

Default 1998 Stratus vibration when accelerating

I have a 1998 Dodge Stratus with a 2.4L engine. A couple of weeks ago, I was stuck in traffic. All the sudden it jerked, and the engine stalled. It would not re-start, until I waited for a couple of minutes.

It seems to run fine since that event. No codes were set, but there is noticeable vibration upon acceleration, that was not there before. I had all the engine mounts replaced since one was broken, and hoped that would solved the problem. It didn't.

I also had the entire exhaust system checked, hoping there was a broken hanger, or leak. Neither of these were an issue either.

When the engine is idling, it is smooth, and there is no vibration.

Any suggestions? It occurs while sitting, so I am guessing that it doesn't have anything to do with the drive train, or suspension.

Thanks,

Kirk M
Old September 19th 12, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

"greybuck" > wrote in message
>I have a 1998 Dodge Stratus with a 2.4L engine. A couple of weeks ago, I
>was stuck in traffic. All the sudden it jerked, and the engine stalled. It
>would not re-start, until I waited for a couple of minutes.
>
> It seems to run fine since that event. No codes were set, but there is
> noticeable vibration upon acceleration, that was not there before. I had
> all the engine mounts replaced since one was broken, and hoped that would
> solved the problem. It didn't.
>
> I also had the entire exhaust system checked, hoping there was a broken
> hanger, or leak. Neither of these were an issue either.
>
> When the engine is idling, it is smooth, and there is no vibration.
>
> Any suggestions? It occurs while sitting, so I am guessing that it doesn't
> have anything to do with the drive train, or suspension.
>
> Thanks,

If a FWD check for a failing CV joint. If RWD check for a failing universal
joint.

Old September 19th 12, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:39:37 -0700 (PDT), greybuck >
wrote:

>I have a 1998 Dodge Stratus with a 2.4L engine. A couple of weeks ago, I was stuck in traffic. All the sudden it jerked, and the engine stalled. It would not re-start, until I waited for a couple of minutes.
>
>It seems to run fine since that event. No codes were set, but there is noticeable vibration upon acceleration, that was not there before. I had all the engine mounts replaced since one was broken, and hoped that would solved the problem. It didn't.
>
>I also had the entire exhaust system checked, hoping there was a broken hanger, or leak. Neither of these were an issue either.
>
>When the engine is idling, it is smooth, and there is no vibration.
>
>Any suggestions? It occurs while sitting, so I am guessing that it doesn't have anything to do with the drive train, or suspension.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kirk M

I found this....

The 2.4 liter Mopar engine is similar to the 2.0-liter Neon engine in
design and construction, but has a longer stroke, a taller block, a
dual overhead camshaft cylinder head and dual counter-rotating balance
shafts that reduce engine vibration

............ which says that engine has balance shafts. I wonder if
the noise you heard was some part of those shafts breaking and that's
why you now have the vibration.
Old September 20th 12, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

lets find out how many miles are on it first.....

Old September 20th 12, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
greybuck

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:17:12 PM UTC-6, Rob wrote:
> lets find out how many miles are on it first.....

> "Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message

>>>Snip

It has 111,000 miles on it. That was one of my fears. What would happen if the chain the runs the two balance shafts from the crankshaft were to break.. The engine runs smooth at idle. What is involved in inspecting the chain? How much has to be removed to get to the chain and sprockets?
Old September 20th 12, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
greybuck

I looked on Alldata, and they show that the balance shafts are located above the oil pan. They only mention removing the oil pan to access the plate where they are hidden. Does anyone know if the timing belt has to be removed?

It looks to me that the gear on the crankshaft the drives the balance shafts, sits behind the timing belt pulley, meaning that the timing belt must be removed too.

Thanks,

KM
Old September 21st 12, 10:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:27:20 -0700 (PDT), greybuck >
wrote:

>I looked on Alldata, and they show that the balance shafts are located above the oil pan. They only mention removing the oil pan to access the plate where they are hidden. Does anyone know if the timing belt has to be removed?
>
>It looks to me that the gear on the crankshaft the drives the balance shafts, sits behind the timing belt pulley, meaning that the timing belt must be removed too.
>
>Thanks,
>
>KM

It's possible that if one of the balance shafts broke it just means
that the front half is still rotating while the back half no longer
is. Other then the vibration it might not really cause any further
problems. I don't think either of the half's can go anywhere. If the
engine is otherwise running the same then it seems unlikely any of the
gears or the belt is broken or messed up. The balance shafts are
there to make the engine "seem" smoother, I doubt they affect
longevity one way or the other.
Old September 21st 12, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
greybuck

-------------------------------snip----------------------
> It's possible that if one of the balance shafts broke it just means
>
> that the front half is still rotating while the back half no longer
>
> is. Other then the vibration it might not really cause any further
>
> problems. I don't think either of the half's can go anywhere. If the
>
> engine is otherwise running the same then it seems unlikely any of the
>
> gears or the belt is broken or messed up. The balance shafts are
>
> there to make the engine "seem" smoother, I doubt they affect
>
> longevity one way or the other.

I am really begining to doubt that it has anything to do with the engine. It is like someone has installed a glass pack muffler on the car. My brother did this on two of his cars, and the vibration is consistent with what I remember.

Can a bad catalytic converter cause this? No check engine light has come on.

KM

Old September 22nd 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bllsht[_2_]

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:01:02 -0700 (PDT), greybuck >
wrote:

>On Friday, September 21, 2012 3:13:21 AM UTC-6, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:27:20 -0700 (PDT), greybuck >

>-------------------------------snip----------------------
>> It's possible that if one of the balance shafts broke it just means
>>
>> that the front half is still rotating while the back half no longer
>>
>> is. Other then the vibration it might not really cause any further
>>
>> problems. I don't think either of the half's can go anywhere. If the
>>
>> engine is otherwise running the same then it seems unlikely any of the
>>
>> gears or the belt is broken or messed up. The balance shafts are
>>
>> there to make the engine "seem" smoother, I doubt they affect
>>
>> longevity one way or the other.

>I am really begining to doubt that it has anything to do with the engine. It is like someone has installed a glass pack muffler on the car. My brother did this on two of his cars, and the vibration is consistent with what I remember.
>
>Can a bad catalytic converter cause this? No check engine light has come on.
>
>KM

You are calling it a vibration but describing a noise. Which is it?

Old September 22nd 12, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

"greybuck" > wrote in message
> On Friday, September 21, 2012 3:13:21 AM UTC-6, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:27:20 -0700 (PDT), greybuck >

> -------------------------------snip----------------------
>> It's possible that if one of the balance shafts broke it just means
>>
>> that the front half is still rotating while the back half no longer
>>
>> is. Other then the vibration it might not really cause any further
>>
>> problems. I don't think either of the half's can go anywhere. If the
>>
>> engine is otherwise running the same then it seems unlikely any of the
>>
>> gears or the belt is broken or messed up. The balance shafts are
>>
>> there to make the engine "seem" smoother, I doubt they affect
>>
>> longevity one way or the other.

> I am really begining to doubt that it has anything to do with the engine.
> It is like someone has installed a glass pack muffler on the car. My
> brother did this on two of his cars, and the vibration is consistent with
> what I remember.
>
> Can a bad catalytic converter cause this? No check engine light has come
> on.
>
> KM

if your catalytic convertor gets plugged you will notice an extreme loss of
power....