Is This The Magic Battery?

Old October 29th 10, 11:59 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.news.internet.discuss
Dave Head

Default Is This The Magic Battery?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...charge-record/

Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. These guys have run a
car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
mph. That's awesome if true. It could be America's way out of buying
foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.

My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. A Chevy Volt goes
40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. Big
difference. Maybe we have cheap transportation again? CAFE
standards? Unncessary. And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.

Just hope its real.
Old October 29th 10, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.news.internet.discuss
Dave__67

On Oct 29, 6:59*am, Dave Head > wrote:
> http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...cle-sets-600km...
>
> Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. *These guys have run a
> car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
> mph. *That's awesome if true. *It could be America's way out of buying
> foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.
>
> My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. *A Chevy Volt goes
> 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. *Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
> The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. *Big
> difference. *Maybe we have cheap transportation again? *CAFE
> standards? *Unncessary. *And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
> natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.
>
> Just hope its real.

liPos are great- use them in my model airplane.
Very light, awesome capacity.

They have a huge downside though- physical trauma tends to make them,
well, explode.
So does overcharging.

They are also damaged if they are discharged beyond a certain point.

Dave
Old October 29th 10, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.news.internet.discuss
Harry K

On Oct 29, 4:30*am, Dave__67 > wrote:
> On Oct 29, 6:59*am, Dave Head > wrote:
>
> >http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...cle-sets-600km...

> > Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. *These guys have run a
> > car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
> > mph. *That's awesome if true. *It could be America's way out of buying
> > foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.

> > My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. *A Chevy Volt goes
> > 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. *Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
> > The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. *Big
> > difference. *Maybe we have cheap transportation again? *CAFE
> > standards? *Unncessary. *And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
> > natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.

> > Just hope its real.

> liPos are great- use them in *my model airplane.
> Very light, awesome capacity.
>
> They have a huge downside though- physical trauma tends to make them,
> well, explode.
> So does overcharging.
>
> They are also damaged if they are discharged beyond a certain point.
>
> Dave

I haven't really dug into the electrics but I don't see them ever
replacing IC powered, augmenting, yes. I would love to have one but
it would have to be a 3rd vehicle and used just for local trips
(within around 40 miles). I live in a sparsely populated farming
rural area withing 4 miles of town but that town is less that 2,000
pop and thus shopping is limited. Nearest real shopping (and it is
not all that great) is a 60 mile round trip.

Electrics, even the current ones, should do fine in an urban setting
but the price is going to have to come down.

Harry K
Old October 29th 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.news.internet.discuss
richard

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 06:59:07 -0400, Dave Head wrote:

> http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...charge-record/
>
> Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. These guys have run a
> car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
> mph. That's awesome if true. It could be America's way out of buying
> foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.
>
> My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. A Chevy Volt goes
> 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
> The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. Big
> difference. Maybe we have cheap transportation again? CAFE
> standards? Unncessary. And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
> natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.
>
> Just hope its real.

Sure it's real. Just don't expect the vehicle to show up on the sales floor
in the USA in the next 50 years or so. As the big four auto makers in the
USA will keep it from being imported.

We could have had similar cars already in production and being sold. But
because the big four are not willing to change, they will not even begin
the production of such vehicles.

Why do you think we do not have engines that get 100mpg? Although the
technology is here to do it. It is a conspiracy between the big four and
OPEC to keep producing gas guzzlers.
Old October 29th 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Dave Head > wrote in
:

> http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...e-sets-600km-s
> ingle-charge-record/
>
> Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. These guys have run a
> car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
> mph. That's awesome if true. It could be America's way out of buying
> foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.
>
> My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. A Chevy Volt goes
> 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
> The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. Big
> difference. Maybe we have cheap transportation again? CAFE
> standards? Unncessary. And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
> natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.
>
> Just hope its real.

go to Wiki and read about NiMH batteries;there's a section in there about
NiMH for autos,and how the car companies blocked it's use.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old October 29th 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2010-10-29, Jim Yanik > wrote:
> Dave Head > wrote in
> :
>
>> http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...e-sets-600km-s
>> ingle-charge-record/
>>
>> Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. These guys have run a
>> car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
>> mph. That's awesome if true. It could be America's way out of buying
>> foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.
>>
>> My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. A Chevy Volt goes
>> 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
>> The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. Big
>> difference. Maybe we have cheap transportation again? CAFE
>> standards? Unncessary. And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
>> natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.
>>
>> Just hope its real.
>>

> go to Wiki and read about NiMH batteries;there's a section in there about
> NiMH for autos,and how the car companies blocked it's use.

Since I bothered to find the reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_...MH_batter ies

There's one of the real purposes of patents and other intellectual
property laws and government granted monopolies of intellectual property
(patents). Not to mention one of the fruits of corporatism. This
effectively gets ideas locked up in the dysfunction of a single company
or small group there of.

The wiki article paints a picture that GM and later Texaco intentionally
killed and locked up the technology. That picture seems rather
simplistic. Being in product development I've seen and been in the
internal battles between those who want to innovate and those who want
to keep everything the same. The strength of the later grows with the
size of the company and the more radically different the technology is
from their existing product line.

It sounds as if the forces of 'no change' won the war but I doubt
the purchases were made to close off the technology. Those purchases
were likely victories by the people who wanted to try something
different. The problem is that one of the key arguments of doing
something different is to get there before someone else does. That it is
better for your own new business to hurt your present one than somebody
else's new business. Then some 'no change' person gets deivious enough
to let the innovative people move forward, then sabotege it and close it
all down. Internal corporate politics at its finest.

Also keep in mind the control freak nature of many corporate executives.
That makes veto power etc and so forth unremarkable. It would have been
little different for some new technology to extract 5% more gasoline
from a barrel of oil.

Old October 29th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.news.internet.discuss
Dave Head

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:13:56 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
> wrote:

>On Oct 29, 4:30*am, Dave__67 > wrote:
>> On Oct 29, 6:59*am, Dave Head > wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...cle-sets-600km...

>> > Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. *These guys have run a
>> > car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
>> > mph. *That's awesome if true. *It could be America's way out of buying
>> > foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.

>> > My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. *A Chevy Volt goes
>> > 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. *Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
>> > The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. *Big
>> > difference. *Maybe we have cheap transportation again? *CAFE
>> > standards? *Unncessary. *And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
>> > natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.

>> > Just hope its real.

>> liPos are great- use them in *my model airplane.
>> Very light, awesome capacity.
>>
>> They have a huge downside though- physical trauma tends to make them,
>> well, explode.
>> So does overcharging.
>>
>> They are also damaged if they are discharged beyond a certain point.
>>
>> Dave

>I haven't really dug into the electrics but I don't see them ever
>replacing IC powered, augmenting, yes. I would love to have one but
>it would have to be a 3rd vehicle and used just for local trips
>(within around 40 miles).

Howcum? Why would you not want to jump in it and drive it from, say,
New York to Las Vegas?

>I live in a sparsely populated farming
>rural area withing 4 miles of town but that town is less that 2,000
>pop and thus shopping is limited. Nearest real shopping (and it is
>not all that great) is a 60 mile round trip.

Well, they just drove this particular car 400 miles without refueling,
sooo... what's the problem?

>Electrics, even the current ones, should do fine in an urban setting
>but the price is going to have to come down.

Oh, yeah, the price has to come down... but the cost of fuel is a big
mitigating factor.

Old October 29th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.news.internet.discuss
Dave Head

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:52:04 -0700, richard >
wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 06:59:07 -0400, Dave Head wrote:
>
>> http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...charge-record/
>>
>> Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. These guys have run a
>> car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
>> mph. That's awesome if true. It could be America's way out of buying
>> foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.
>>
>> My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. A Chevy Volt goes
>> 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
>> The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. Big
>> difference. Maybe we have cheap transportation again? CAFE
>> standards? Unncessary. And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
>> natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.
>>
>> Just hope its real.

>Sure it's real. Just don't expect the vehicle to show up on the sales floor
>in the USA in the next 50 years or so. As the big four auto makers in the
>USA will keep it from being imported.

Big 4? GM, Ford, Chrysler, and... ?

They haven't been successful in preventing the importation of any
other sort of foreign competitive vehicle, why would they all of a
sudden be successful with this?

>We could have had similar cars already in production and being sold. But
>because the big four are not willing to change, they will not even begin
>the production of such vehicles.

>Why do you think we do not have engines that get 100mpg?

Why, because they buried the 100 mpg carburetor in the 50's, and have
been furiously spending millions of dollars on fuel injection to FAKE
the effort to build a 100 mpg vehicle since then...

>Although the
>technology is here to do it.

Uh huh.

>It is a conspiracy between the big four and
>OPEC to keep producing gas guzzlers.

Sure is. Its facilitated by the Roswell space aliens, too. That's
why it works so good, y'know?
Old October 29th 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

:

>> http://www.caradvice.com.au/89483/au...e-sets-600km-s
>> ingle-charge-record/
>>
>> Maybe, if it doesn't cost a million dollars. These guys have run a
>> car for about 400 miles on a single battery charge at around 70 - 80
>> mph. That's awesome if true. It could be America's way out of buying
>> foreign oil, and greatly reducing ur operating costs.
>>
>> My Subaru WRX gets 25 mpg on a typical long trip. A Chevy Volt goes
>> 40 miles on a 10 KwH charge. Around here, 10 KwH costs 62 1/2 cents.
>> The WRX takes premium and costs about $4.72 to go 40 miles. Big
>> difference. Maybe we have cheap transportation again? CAFE
>> standards? Unncessary. And we have absolutely oceans of domestic
>> natural gas to build clean power generation for these cars.
>>
>> Just hope its real.
>>

>go to Wiki and read about NiMH batteries;there's a section in there about
>NiMH for autos,and how the car companies blocked it's use.

It says: "Currently, more than 2 million hybrid cars worldwide are
running with NiMH batteries,[6] e.g., Prius, Lexus (Toyota), Civic,
Insight (Honda), Fusion (Ford), and others."

NiMH is not as power dense as LiIon which is probably a bigger reason
that they are not used as much.
Old October 30th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.news.internet.discuss
Brent[_4_]

On 2010-10-29, Dave Head > wrote:

> Oh, yeah, the price has to come down... but the cost of fuel is a big
> mitigating factor.

The issue I find is that the cost of electricity vs. the cost of
gasoline equation is generally rigged by not considering the taxes on
the electricity but including them on gasoline. Then there is the
question of taxes for roads which one way or another will be charged
towards electrics.

New Magic Opportunity ORGspirit Technology 0 November 17th 08 05:16 AM
It's Like Magic Richard Chrysler 4 November 19th 07 12:42 AM
MAGIC TRICKS [email protected] BMW 0 July 23rd 07 04:54 PM
MAGIC TRICKS [email protected] Chrysler 0 July 23rd 07 04:54 PM
MAGIC TRICKS [email protected] Driving 0 July 23rd 07 05:29 AM