Switching E36 UK headlamps for EU mainland dip

Old September 11th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Burns

Default Switching E36 UK headlamps for EU mainland dip

> I'm off to drive in that funny world on t'other side of the road in a
> few month, so being the prepared chappy that I am, I thought I'd try
> to find how the headlamps on my E36 are aimed to the left, and how to
> switch them to aim to the right.
>
> The manual is no help "refer to BMW garage" etc etc.
>
> Looking at the headlamp from the front, I really can't see how it
> managed to create the wedge of light to the left, the whole dipped
> beamed unit looks identical either side of the centre line.
>
> Is there a way of re-aiming them as I've seen with many other cars, or
> am I reduced to a bit of dark sticky tape and driving with the bit of
> light left in the middle?

I think you adjust them from behind.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old September 11th 07, 03:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dodgy

I'm off to drive in that funny world on t'other side of the road in a
few month, so being the prepared chappy that I am, I thought I'd try
to find how the headlamps on my E36 are aimed to the left, and how to
switch them to aim to the right.

The manual is no help "refer to BMW garage" etc etc.

Looking at the headlamp from the front, I really can't see how it
managed to create the wedge of light to the left, the whole dipped
beamed unit looks identical either side of the centre line.

Is there a way of re-aiming them as I've seen with many other cars, or
am I reduced to a bit of dark sticky tape and driving with the bit of
light left in the middle?

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old September 11th 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
adder1969

On Sep 11, 3:48 pm, Dodgy > wrote:
> I'm off to drive in that funny world on t'other side of the road in a
> few month, so being the prepared chappy that I am, I thought I'd try
> to find how the headlamps on my E36 are aimed to the left, and how to
> switch them to aim to the right.
>
> The manual is no help "refer to BMW garage" etc etc.
>
> Looking at the headlamp from the front, I really can't see how it
> managed to create the wedge of light to the left, the whole dipped
> beamed unit looks identical either side of the centre line.
>
> Is there a way of re-aiming them as I've seen with many other cars, or
> am I reduced to a bit of dark sticky tape and driving with the bit of
> light left in the middle?

I'm pretty sure mine weren't adjustable so I just drove with the tape
on and I had no problems.

Old September 11th 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dodgy

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:47:06 +0100, John Burns
> waffled on about something:

>> I'm off to drive in that funny world on t'other side of the road in a
>> few month, so being the prepared chappy that I am, I thought I'd try
>> to find how the headlamps on my E36 are aimed to the left, and how to
>> switch them to aim to the right.
>>
>> The manual is no help "refer to BMW garage" etc etc.
>>
>> Looking at the headlamp from the front, I really can't see how it
>> managed to create the wedge of light to the left, the whole dipped
>> beamed unit looks identical either side of the centre line.
>>
>> Is there a way of re-aiming them as I've seen with many other cars, or
>> am I reduced to a bit of dark sticky tape and driving with the bit of
>> light left in the middle?

>I think you adjust them from behind.

I had a look behind, and nothing was obvious... I remember having a
casual look when I had the whole lamp unit out a few months ago to
change the broken glass, and nothing jumped out at me.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old September 11th 07, 05:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

My knowledge is that the headlamps must be replaced to get the wedge to
switch to the other side.

Old September 11th 07, 05:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ulf

Dodgy wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:47:06 +0100, John Burns
> > waffled on about something:
>
>>> I'm off to drive in that funny world on t'other side of the road in a
>>> few month, so being the prepared chappy that I am, I thought I'd try
>>> to find how the headlamps on my E36 are aimed to the left, and how to
>>> switch them to aim to the right.
>>>
>>> The manual is no help "refer to BMW garage" etc etc.
>>>
>>> Looking at the headlamp from the front, I really can't see how it
>>> managed to create the wedge of light to the left, the whole dipped
>>> beamed unit looks identical either side of the centre line.
>>>
>>> Is there a way of re-aiming them as I've seen with many other cars, or
>>> am I reduced to a bit of dark sticky tape and driving with the bit of
>>> light left in the middle?

>> I think you adjust them from behind.

> I had a look behind, and nothing was obvious... I remember having a
> casual look when I had the whole lamp unit out a few months ago to
> change the broken glass, and nothing jumped out at me.

Are they projector lights? If so, there are three screws you loosen and
turn the reflector ~30 degrees. It's pretty straight forward.

Ulf
Old September 11th 07, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ulf

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> My knowledge is that the headlamps must be replaced to get the wedge to
> switch to the other side.

Not projector beams, which are standard on E36's. The old style
headlights without the "magnifying glass", which also have markings on
the lens where to put the sticker/tape for opposite side use, can't be
converted though.

Old September 11th 07, 05:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"Dodgy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:47:06 +0100, John Burns
> > waffled on about something:
>
>>> I'm off to drive in that funny world on t'other side of the road in a
>>> few month, so being the prepared chappy that I am, I thought I'd try
>>> to find how the headlamps on my E36 are aimed to the left, and how to
>>> switch them to aim to the right.
>>>
>>> The manual is no help "refer to BMW garage" etc etc.
>>>
>>> Looking at the headlamp from the front, I really can't see how it
>>> managed to create the wedge of light to the left, the whole dipped
>>> beamed unit looks identical either side of the centre line.
>>>
>>> Is there a way of re-aiming them as I've seen with many other cars, or
>>> am I reduced to a bit of dark sticky tape and driving with the bit of
>>> light left in the middle?

>>I think you adjust them from behind.

> I had a look behind, and nothing was obvious... I remember having a
> casual look when I had the whole lamp unit out a few months ago to
> change the broken glass, and nothing jumped out at me.
> --

There is no adjustment. The feature you are looking for is ground into the
lens during manufacture.

If you are moving to the mainland and will be driving on the right side of
the roadway, then you need to make this change. But, if you are just
visiting, then it seems to that the mainland gets lots of visitors from the
island, and they just deal with it.

Old September 11th 07, 06:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:48:20 +0100, Dodgy > wrote:

>I'm off to drive in that funny world on t'other side of the road in a
>few month, so being the prepared chappy that I am, I thought I'd try
>to find how the headlamps on my E36 are aimed to the left, and how to
>switch them to aim to the right.
>
>The manual is no help "refer to BMW garage" etc etc.
>
>Looking at the headlamp from the front, I really can't see how it
>managed to create the wedge of light to the left, the whole dipped
>beamed unit looks identical either side of the centre line.
>
>Is there a way of re-aiming them as I've seen with many other cars, or
>am I reduced to a bit of dark sticky tape and driving with the bit of
>light left in the middle?
>
>Dodgy.

There is nothing in the EKT or TIS about this but the lamps are similar to the
E38 which has a small red lever by the side of the dip beam lamp after removing
the cover this turns a shield that simply cuts off the left wedge of the dip
beam making it a flat beam and NOT true LHD. Same goes for the HID units and if
anyone has an E65 reading this the lever is on the right side an both units and
not on the outside as BMW insist in the book!

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old September 11th 07, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dodgy > wrote:
> I'm off to drive in that funny world on t'other side of the road in a
> few month, so being the prepared chappy that I am, I thought I'd try
> to find how the headlamps on my E36 are aimed to the left, and how to
> switch them to aim to the right.

> The manual is no help "refer to BMW garage" etc etc.

> Looking at the headlamp from the front, I really can't see how it
> managed to create the wedge of light to the left, the whole dipped
> beamed unit looks identical either side of the centre line.

> Is there a way of re-aiming them as I've seen with many other cars, or
> am I reduced to a bit of dark sticky tape and driving with the bit of
> light left in the middle?

The hard edge and shape is created by a metal 'flag' just in front of the
bulb itself. Depending on model there may be an adjusting lever to change
this to right hand dip - or it might mean dismantling the lamp unit to get
at it. Others simply remove the spike of light down the left so the dip
beam is near central by applying a bit of tape to the outside of the unit
glass.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Identifying headlamps [email protected] Antique cars 3 October 20th 06 06:22 AM
Lund headlamps vincent Antique cars 1 July 3rd 06 12:17 AM
New Headlamps Jim S. Ford Mustang 5 January 13th 05 05:54 AM
New Headlamps -- cost v. value '96 black on, black in, black over Mazda 3 December 29th 04 03:12 AM