1999 maxima traction control system light

Old July 23rd 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
magician

Default 1999 maxima traction control system light

I have a 1999 maxima (loaded) and last year I had two (one and then a
second different one a couple of weeks later) sensors (o2?) replaced
after running rough. Car ran fine then recently had 2 coils replaced
at a local garage after check engine light had come on. Now the
traction control system seems to be acting up - a couple of days ago
the light came on while driving and later went out - It came on again
yesterday but when i started it this morning it is off now. I called
a dealership this morning and they said they'd test it but sounds
like I probably need to replace the other 4 coils all together (and
perhaps they said plugs too but I wasnt sure whether that was
included or an additional option.)
A)Does this sound like the reason the traction control system light
came on?
B)Does this sound like the solution and is $578 a reasonable cost for
them to do a 4 coil replacement or is this unreasonable or a simple
type fixable thing??? Thanks, Dave

Old July 24th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jul 23, 1:35 pm,
(magician) wrote:
> I have a 1999 maxima (loaded) and last year I had two (one and then a
> second different one a couple of weeks later) sensors (o2?) replaced
> after running rough. Car ran fine then recently had 2 coils replaced
> at a local garage after check engine light had come on. Now the
> traction control system seems to be acting up - a couple of days ago
> the light came on while driving and later went out - It came on again
> yesterday but when i started it this morning it is off now. I called
> a dealership this morning and they said they'd test it but sounds
> like I probably need to replace the other 4 coils all together (and
> perhaps they said plugs too but I wasnt sure whether that was
> included or an additional option.)

Which "the light" went on and off several times? "Check Engine"?
"Trac Off"? "SLIP"? Several of these lights?

> A)Does this sound like the reason the traction control system light
> came on?

Possibly. Your TCS should be disabled whenever an engine code is set
that could affect driveability. The engine computer and ABS/TCS
computer communicate which allows for this provision. The "Trac OFF"
and possibly ABS lights should illuminate in this case.

That being said, you did not specifically mention the MIL (check
engine light) on. I am not aware of the TCS light illuminating before
the MIL comes on *if* the TCS light is being commanded due to an
engine problem. Usually a TCS light will flicker or illuminate
momentarily when the ABS/TCS computer senses traction related
slippage. If there really is a problem with the TCS system then that
needs to be looked at as an entirely separate issue.

> B)Does this sound like the solution and is $578 a reasonable cost for
> them to do a 4 coil replacement or is this unreasonable or a simple
> type fixable thing??? Thanks, Dave

Well, blindly throwing four ignition coils at your engine isn't a sure-
fire fix for anything. *If* the MIL has been on recently, the ECM
should be scanned for codes. You will likely find the infamous P1320
code, which is most likely what your last shop was addressing. They
chose to replace only 2 coils because of one or more of the following:

* You are strapped for cash or cheap.
* They are very good and determined through high tech testing which
coils were the worst, and let you know that the others may fail at any
time.
* The P1320 was accompanied by cylinder-specific misfire codes, so
they only replaced the coils in those cylinders that had misfire
codes.
* They have a giant diagnostic roulette wheel.

If they used any brand of aftermarket coils, be prepared to replace
them again; the industry buzz I keep my ear tuned to has nothing good
to say about these junk coils. Buy only dealer coils for this
particular car.

As far as price, $578 sounds about right in my neck of the streets.
The coils are around $100 each X 4, add 6 plugs, tax, shop fee and
labor and you're there.

BTW,
Your ABS and TCS codes can be read simply by jumping a test terminal
in the Nissan diagnostic connector to ground. If there is a
significant electrical or communication problem there should be a
stored code. The Nissan scantool is required to go more in-depth with
diagnosis (without pulling your hair out). Engine codes can be read
for free at Autozone or equivalent part-swapper stores. You can use
those two free options to arm yourself with some preliminary data.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old July 31st 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jul 23, 1:35 pm,
(magician) wrote:

>Thanks, Dave

Oh, I almost forgot... you're welcome for the thoughtful, accurate and
free answer. Thank you for the followup.

Toyota MDT in MO