FFB (new development)

Old October 26th 11, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default FFB (new development)

Well, this is what I did.
First I set Damper how I like it (to not feel friction, and to not
feel wheel too thin). This is at 96% on my system.
Then I tested Centering Spring with Spring being 0% (Damper at 96%).
And it turned out that the best Centering Spring is also 96%. So, I would
say that Centering Spring should be the same as Damper. If it is bigger than
Damper, it develops snap-loose condition, if it is smaller it tries to spin
car.
So, it looks like the trick is in setting up Spring. I didn't have
time to do this, but on my system it is somewhere around 120-130%. This I
will set some other day. I'll try with Damper and Centering Spring at 0% to
see how it behaves.
I just went to Lime Rock with Legends, and saw a lot of people
spinning. The difference between Damper and Centering Spring induces those
spins, so I would suggest to make those two the same.

Mario

Old October 26th 11, 12:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

>On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 03:24:35 +0200, "Mario Petrinovic" > wrote:
> I just went to Lime Rock with Legends, and saw a lot of people
>spinning. The difference between Damper and Centering Spring induces those
>spins, so I would suggest to make those two the same.
>
> Mario

And here I have been thinking a spin is caused by too much speed, bad
use of throttle, or wrong steering inputs!
Old October 26th 11, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

GaryR:
> >Mario Petrinovic:
>> I just went to Lime Rock with Legends, and saw a lot of people
>>spinning. The difference between Damper and Centering Spring induces those
>>spins, so I would suggest to make those two the same.

> And here I have been thinking a spin is caused by too much speed, bad
> use of throttle, or wrong steering inputs!

You can spin like that, or you can spin just turning into a corner
at normal speed, because wrong FFB fools your senses into doing wrong
things.
BTW, I still didn't find time to test (I am too tired now, coming
back from work), but from little test of Spring the previous day, it could
very well be that the right setting for Spring on my system is 128%. If this
is the case, then this would mean that iRacing locked Spring also at 75%,
because 128 x 0.75 = 96. We know that Damper was also locked at 75%, but
iRacing reverted it back to 100%.
This 75% lock only confused things, because with this lock the right
settings for my system should be 128/128/96 (because Centering Spring wasn't
locked at 75%), and this is far from the default 100/100/100. I am looking
forward in a few days to find out if this is so.

Mario

Old October 29th 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
> GaryR:
>> >Mario Petrinovic:
>>> I just went to Lime Rock with Legends, and saw a lot of people
>>>spinning. The difference between Damper and Centering Spring induces
>>>those
>>>spins, so I would suggest to make those two the same.

>> And here I have been thinking a spin is caused by too much speed, bad
>> use of throttle, or wrong steering inputs!

> You can spin like that, or you can spin just turning into a corner
> at normal speed, because wrong FFB fools your senses into doing wrong
> things.
> BTW, I still didn't find time to test (I am too tired now, coming
> back from work), but from little test of Spring the previous day, it could
> very well be that the right setting for Spring on my system is 128%. If
> this is the case, then this would mean that iRacing locked Spring also at
> 75%, because 128 x 0.75 = 96. We know that Damper was also locked at 75%,
> but iRacing reverted it back to 100%.
> This 75% lock only confused things, because with this lock the
> right settings for my system should be 128/128/96 (because Centering
> Spring wasn't locked at 75%), and this is far from the default
> 100/100/100. I am looking forward in a few days to find out if this is so.

Ok, here it is what happened.
It looks like Spring isn't locked at 75%. It looks like, for the
most "realistic" feel Spring and Damper should be both at 100%. Centering
Spring, while it worked well at 96% when Spring and Damper were 0/96, it
doesn't work well at 96% when Spring and Damper are both at 96%. It does
work well though at the setting I determined with Damper and Spring both at
0%, and this is 22% on my system. So, now I am using 100/100/22. I also
matched the Overall with what I like, so now I have 118/100/100/22
(Centering Spring unchecked, and everything else unchecked).
Well, this is it, I tried everything, and I cannot do better than
this. Now I will start to race, I hope it will be "truetful" to me when I
start to work on car setups (which I will not do right now, first a little
bit rookie racing, : )), which is the main reason why I tried to find the
most "true" FFB settings in the first place, so that I can feel the best
what is happening within the car.

Mario

Old October 29th 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
> Mario Petrinovic:
>> GaryR:
>>>
>>> And here I have been thinking a spin is caused by too much speed, bad
>>> use of throttle, or wrong steering inputs!

>> You can spin like that, or you can spin just turning into a corner
>> at normal speed, because wrong FFB fools your senses into doing wrong
>> things.
>> BTW, I still didn't find time to test (I am too tired now, coming
>> back from work), but from little test of Spring the previous day, it
>> could
>> very well be that the right setting for Spring on my system is 128%. If
>> this is the case, then this would mean that iRacing locked Spring also at
>> 75%, because 128 x 0.75 = 96. We know that Damper was also locked at 75%,
>> but iRacing reverted it back to 100%.
>> This 75% lock only confused things, because with this lock the
>> right settings for my system should be 128/128/96 (because Centering
>> Spring wasn't locked at 75%), and this is far from the default
>> 100/100/100. I am looking forward in a few days to find out if this is
>> so.

> Ok, here it is what happened.
> It looks like Spring isn't locked at 75%. It looks like, for the
> most "realistic" feel Spring and Damper should be both at 100%. Centering
> Spring, while it worked well at 96% when Spring and Damper were 0/96, it
> doesn't work well at 96% when Spring and Damper are both at 96%. It does
> work well though at the setting I determined with Damper and Spring both
> at 0%, and this is 22% on my system. So, now I am using 100/100/22. I also
> matched the Overall with what I like, so now I have 118/100/100/22
> (Centering Spring unchecked, and everything else unchecked).
> Well, this is it, I tried everything, and I cannot do better than
> this. Now I will start to race, I hope it will be "truetful" to me when I
> start to work on car setups (which I will not do right now, first a little
> bit rookie racing, : )), which is the main reason why I tried to find the
> most "true" FFB settings in the first place, so that I can feel the best
> what is happening within the car.

Actually, I still have something to do. I'll try different Spring
with 100/22 of Damper and Centering Spring.

Mario

Old October 31st 11, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
> Mario Petrinovic:
>> Mario Petrinovic:
>>> GaryR:

>>> You can spin like that, or you can spin just turning into a
>>> corner
>>> at normal speed, because wrong FFB fools your senses into doing wrong
>>> things.
>>> BTW, I still didn't find time to test (I am too tired now, coming
>>> back from work), but from little test of Spring the previous day, it
>>> could
>>> very well be that the right setting for Spring on my system is 128%. If
>>> this is the case, then this would mean that iRacing locked Spring also
>>> at
>>> 75%, because 128 x 0.75 = 96. We know that Damper was also locked at
>>> 75%, but iRacing reverted it back to 100%.
>>> This 75% lock only confused things, because with this lock the
>>> right settings for my system should be 128/128/96 (because Centering
>>> Spring wasn't locked at 75%), and this is far from the default
>>> 100/100/100. I am looking forward in a few days to find out if this is
>>> so.

>> Ok, here it is what happened.
>> It looks like Spring isn't locked at 75%. It looks like, for the
>> most "realistic" feel Spring and Damper should be both at 100%. Centering
>> Spring, while it worked well at 96% when Spring and Damper were 0/96, it
>> doesn't work well at 96% when Spring and Damper are both at 96%. It does
>> work well though at the setting I determined with Damper and Spring both
>> at 0%, and this is 22% on my system. So, now I am using 100/100/22. I
>> also matched the Overall with what I like, so now I have 118/100/100/22
>> (Centering Spring unchecked, and everything else unchecked).
>> Well, this is it, I tried everything, and I cannot do better than
>> this. Now I will start to race, I hope it will be "truetful" to me when I
>> start to work on car setups (which I will not do right now, first a
>> little
>> bit rookie racing, : )), which is the main reason why I tried to find the
>> most "true" FFB settings in the first place, so that I can feel the best
>> what is happening within the car.

> Actually, I still have something to do. I'll try different Spring
> with 100/22 of Damper and Centering Spring.

Ok, I did some testing. It turned out that Spring and Cenetring
Spring should be the same. But, on my system it isn't 22%. I went lower, and
now I am at 14% (it is too late over here, so I have enough for today), but
it probably is 13%.
It looks like Damper doesn't have to be at 100%. For now I am
testing with 100%, but probably I will go back to 96% with it.

Mario

FFB (so far) Mario Petrinovic Simulators 0 September 25th 11 10:57 AM
FFB Mario Petrinovic Simulators 26 September 5th 11 08:52 AM
G25 v. ECCI - To FFB or not to FFB [email protected] Simulators 1 August 17th 07 02:35 PM
rFactor development Tony Rickard Simulators 8 August 18th 06 07:06 AM
Burnout 5 and Road Rash likely in development AirRaid[_1_] Simulators 2 August 9th 06 02:45 AM