1999 Caravan Serpentine Belt Issue

Old December 9th 04, 01:18 PM
noname

First, At 82k miles, you should have already gone through 2 belts and a
tensioner.
Belts don't last as long as YOU want them to. They are made of rubber.
Second, in order for the serpentine belt system to work the way it was
intended to, there has to be a weak link in the system. These belts rob less
power from the engine, last longer than v-belts, and are cheaper to produce.
Also the brackets on the engine are lighter than the old systems where each
access. was movable for adjustment.
It is no big Dodge/Mopar/whatever company conspiracy to put out a defective
or substandard product.
All the automakers have similar serpentine systems and none that I have seen
last 100k miles with no maintenance.

"Jim Candela" > wrote in message
m...

> Hi,
>
> My 1999 Caravan has been wonderful for 82,000 miles. My only real
> complaint was about the brakes until last week. While taking my kid to
> school in the rain, the serpentine belt popped off. It was original, and
> still looks pretty good to me. I replaced the belt anyway, and learned a

few
> things:
>
> 1.) The AutoZone de-tensioner that they rent is a POS, and I did better

with
> a ratcheting box end 15 mm wrench with a cheater bar over the other end.

The
> trick is to get the tensioner retracted enough before the tool hits an
> obstruction. The AutoZone tool could not do that.
>
> 2.) The internet is full of Dodge hating folk that lose their serpentine
> belts whenever it gets a little wet. Apparently there was never a recall,
> and all a dealer will do is replace parts where the fault appears to be in
> the design. The only sure thing after servicing the problem is the bill

will
> be stiff.
>
> 3.) I have run across some references concerning a bracket used in snow
> states, and some other guy that uses GM parts to fix the problem. The
> bracket part number was not a good one, and the GM guy wants money to make
> it worth his while.
>
> So far the new belt is staying on. I can however see that the tensioning
> idler is a little bit crooked, and I guess this is the crux of the

problem.
> Many folk seem to trade the van off because they won't dare let the wife

or

Old December 9th 04, 01:34 PM
RWM

So, what's your view of serpentine belt and tensioner failures at 37,000
miles?

Not to mention head gasket failure on a 3.3L at 33,000 miles, and
internally rusted and chunking/crumbling rotors at 37,000?

Can you say "junk"?

I thought so.

noname wrote:

>First, At 82k miles, you should have already gone through 2 belts and a
>tensioner.
>Belts don't last as long as YOU want them to. They are made of rubber.
>Second, in order for the serpentine belt system to work the way it was
>intended to, there has to be a weak link in the system. These belts rob less
>power from the engine, last longer than v-belts, and are cheaper to produce.
>Also the brackets on the engine are lighter than the old systems where each
>access. was movable for adjustment.
>It is no big Dodge/Mopar/whatever company conspiracy to put out a defective
>or substandard product.
>All the automakers have similar serpentine systems and none that I have seen
>last 100k miles with no maintenance.

om...

Old December 9th 04, 01:34 PM
RWM

Old December 9th 04, 04:24 PM
noname

Well in the models of Chrysler vehicles that I work on every day compared to
other makes, the Dodge/Plymouth products are cheaper made and are priced
less.
That's why we have so many of them as state/government vehicles.
The low bid gets the sale.
To get low bids you have to cut corners, fact of business.
Sometimes the corners are quality.
Maybe you need to go get a Toyota, they make great cheap cars.

Old December 9th 04, 04:24 PM
noname

Old December 9th 04, 06:41 PM
maxpower

head gasket failures is not a common thing for that mileage for the 3.3 but
i have seen it, as far as the rotors rusting, yea that will happen,
especially if the vehicle sits for long periods without being driven and
in a salt belt area makes it worse.
> >>and all a dealer will do is replace parts where the fault appears to be

in
> >>the design. The only sure thing after servicing the problem is the

bill<<< the dealer has no say so, they cant make up the rules, they follow
guidelines set by Chrysler, that is why the dealer has a district rep, if
you have a problem take it up with him/her....
> Can you say "junk"? yes i can say junk, I can also say Maintenace and

alittle common sense goes a long way

Old December 9th 04, 06:41 PM
maxpower

Old December 9th 04, 09:51 PM
RWM

Factory recommended "severe" maintenance schedule, same as our Honda,
where we never saw these sorts of failures. Junk by design, and the
Chrysco zone rep refused any consideration. Common sense? Absolutely.
No more Chrysco products... Just bought another Honda.

maxpower wrote:
> head gasket failures is not a common thing for that mileage for the 3.3 but
> i have seen it, as far as the rotors rusting, yea that will happen,
> especially if the vehicle sits for long periods without being driven and
> in a salt belt area makes it worse.

> in

> bill<<< the dealer has no say so, they cant make up the rules, they follow
> guidelines set by Chrysler, that is why the dealer has a district rep, if
> you have a problem take it up with him/her....
>
>>Can you say "junk"? yes i can say junk, I can also say Maintenace and

> alittle common sense goes a long way
>

> "RWM" > wrote in message ...
>
>>So, what's your view of serpentine belt and tensioner failures at 37,000
>>miles?
>>
>>Not to mention head gasket failure on a 3.3L at 33,000 miles, and
>>internally rusted and chunking/crumbling rotors at 37,000?
>>
>>Can you say "junk"?
>>
>>I thought so.
>>

>>noname wrote:
>>

>>>First, At 82k miles, you should have already gone through 2 belts and a
>>>tensioner.
>>>Belts don't last as long as YOU want them to. They are made of rubber.
>>>Second, in order for the serpentine belt system to work the way it was
>>>intended to, there has to be a weak link in the system. These belts rob

> less
>
>>>power from the engine, last longer than v-belts, and are cheaper to

> produce.
>
>>>Also the brackets on the engine are lighter than the old systems where

> each
>
>>>access. was movable for adjustment.
>>>It is no big Dodge/Mopar/whatever company conspiracy to put out a

> defective
>
>>>or substandard product.
>>>All the automakers have similar serpentine systems and none that I have

> seen
>
>>>last 100k miles with no maintenance.

.com...

Old December 9th 04, 09:51 PM
RWM

Old December 10th 04, 12:13 AM
Neil Nelson

In article >,
RWM > wrote:

> Factory recommended "severe" maintenance schedule, same as our Honda,
> where we never saw these sorts of failures. Junk by design, and the
> Chrysco zone rep refused any consideration. Common sense? Absolutely.
> No more Chrysco products... Just bought another Honda.

Good luck.
I have a friend who owns a Honda only repair shop. He just built
a huge new building because he's swamped with work year 'round,
and he's still booking three weeks out.

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan zoom16v Dodge 8 October 17th 04 12:55 PM
1999 Grand Caravan Power Steering Mike Lenahan Dodge 2 July 26th 04 10:59 PM
LF - Hubcap for 1999 Dodge Caravan gjong Dodge 0 June 4th 04 09:51 PM