What on earth does "SFI OHV" mean?

Old November 1st 06, 07:15 PM
SassyEnviroChick SassyEnviroChick is offline
Junior Member

Question What on earth does "SFI OHV" mean?

My mom has a 2001 Taurus SE with a 3.0L V6 SFI OHV engine. The transmission went out and my dad is trying to replace it - calling junk yards and the like. But he has no idea what he needs, and frankly, neither do I...can anyone help me?
Old November 2nd 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
E Frank Ball III

Default What on earth does "SFI OHV" mean?

SassyEnviroChick > wrote:

> My mom has a 2001 Taurus SE with a 3.0L V6 SFI OHV engine. The
> transmission went out and my dad is trying to replace it - calling junk
> yards and the like. But he has no idea what he needs, and frankly,
> neither do I...can anyone help me?

OHV = Over Head Valves (all car engines made in the last 40 years or so are OHV).

SFI = Sequential Fuel Injection. Also standard on virtually all engines
these days.

Neither have anything to do with the transmission.

--
E Frank Ball

Old November 2nd 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 19:15:33 +0000, SassyEnviroChick > wrote:

>My mom has a 2001 Taurus SE with a 3.0L V6 SFI OHV engine. The
>transmission went out and my dad is trying to replace it - calling junk
>yards and the like. But he has no idea what he needs, and frankly,
>neither do I...can anyone help me?

FI is typically fuel injection. I would guess SFI is sequential fuel
injection -- where there's an injector at each cylinder instead of one
sitting on an intake manifold pretending to be a carb.

OHV is overhead valve.

Step one is read a ****ing book. In a pinch, you can read a non-****ing book.
Such a repair book will detail what models had what engines.

Old November 2nd 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
« Paul »[_1_]

SassyEnviroChick wrote:

> My mom has a 2001 Taurus SE with a 3.0L V6 SFI OHV engine. The
> transmission went out and my dad is trying to replace it - calling junk
> yards and the like. But he has no idea what he needs, and frankly,
> neither do I...can anyone help me?
>
> --
> SassyEnviroChick

Its either the 17 bolt pan AX4S or the 19 bolt pan AX4N.
Go he
http://www.acerecon.com/atc/site/tra....asp?make=Ford
Old November 2nd 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
G-man422[_9_]

Yeah, that really doesnt matter w/ the tranny.

--
G-man422
G-man422's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=351285

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old November 2nd 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsguy

«» wrote:
> SassyEnviroChick wrote:
> >
> > My mom has a 2001 Taurus SE with a 3.0L V6 SFI OHV engine. The
> > transmission went out and my dad is trying to replace it - calling junk
> > yards and the like. But he has no idea what he needs, and frankly,
> > neither do I...can anyone help me?
> >
> > --
> > SassyEnviroChick

> Its either the 17 bolt pan AX4S or the 19 bolt pan AX4N.
> Go he
> http://www.acerecon.com/atc/site/tra....asp?make=Ford

trans identification is tricky. if you're determined to get one from
the junkyard (which i don't recommend), make certain that everything's
the same, including the year model. being a 2001, it's more than likely
an ax4n, but ford has changed several things on those trans over the
years. the sensors mounted on the outside of the transmission are quite
a bit different from year to year. if the junkyard has a way to match
it up with the vin number, you have a decent shot of getting a match.
be careful, though, buying a used trans is like buying a used battery.
it probably won't last long.

Old November 2nd 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

SassyEnviroChick wrote:

> My mom has a 2001 Taurus SE with a 3.0L V6 SFI OHV engine. The
> transmission went out and my dad is trying to replace it - calling junk
> yards and the like. But he has no idea what he needs, and frankly,
> neither do I...can anyone help me?

Sequential Fuel Injection Overhead Valve. IOW, nothing special at all. :-)

Old November 2nd 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

SassyEnviroChick wrote:
> My mom has a 2001 Taurus SE with a 3.0L V6 SFI OHV engine. The
> transmission went out and my dad is trying to replace it - calling junk
> yards and the like. But he has no idea what he needs, and frankly,
> neither do I...can anyone help me?
>

> --
> SassyEnviroChick

The tranny on my '03 Taurus has the transmission model number stamped
on the pan. Considering that the roads are filled with Taurus, the
junk yards should be, too. Any repair shop or junkyard worth anything
will be able to help you.

Just a question, though. Why are you doing this search yourself? If
you aren't mechanically inclined then you shouldn't be shopping for
used transmissions.

Matthew

Old November 20th 06, 03:43 PM
SassyEnviroChick SassyEnviroChick is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyEnviroChick
My mom has a 2001 Taurus SE with a 3.0L V6 SFI OHV engine. The transmission went out and my dad is trying to replace it - calling junk yards and the like. But he has no idea what he needs, and frankly, neither do I...can anyone help me?
Thank y'all so much!! I appreciate it - and to answer - I'm doing the search myself because mechanics cost money! Thanks again.
Old December 2nd 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ROY BRAGG

SFI stands for Sequential Fuel Injection, meaning fuel is injected into the
cylinders in the order that they fire. OHV stands for Overhead Valve,
meaning valves are located in the cylinder head.
Roy
"SassyEnviroChick" > wrote in
message .. .