Trailer hitch questions?

Old September 11th 05, 01:20 AM

Default Trailer hitch questions?

To what part of the car frame are the hitches mounted?

How much down (tongue) weight will they carry?

Would it be safe to lift a car using the hitch as the lifting point?

Thanks,

BoyntonStu

Old September 11th 05, 02:03 AM
Floyd Rogers

> wrote
> To what part of the car frame are the hitches mounted?

Most cars now have no frame - they're unibody or similar. Usually
they're mounted to the same strengthened attachment points that
the bumpers are.

> How much down (tongue) weight will they carry?

Depends upon whether it's a class I, II, III or IV hitch. Generally,
most cars can only mount a I hitch, although some larger ones
can handle II. FYI, tongue weight is only one measure of capability,
and is usually small compared to the total trailer load - you've
got to balance the load over the trailer axle to a large extent.

> Would it be safe to lift a car using the hitch as the lifting point?

Perhaps yes, perhaps no.

FloydR
Old September 11th 05, 08:08 PM

Let me rephrase:

Would it be safe to lift a car using the hitch bar as the lifting
point?

BoyntonStu

Old September 11th 05, 10:44 PM
Alexander Rogge

> Would it be safe to lift a car using the hitch bar as the lifting
> point?

No, unless "hitch bar" is the bar on the Hummer. Trailer hitches on
cars are not meant for lifting or towing heavy loads.
Old September 11th 05, 11:07 PM
Ulf

Alexander Rogge wrote:
>> Would it be safe to lift a car using the hitch bar as the lifting
>> point?

> No, unless "hitch bar" is the bar on the Hummer. Trailer hitches on
> cars are not meant for lifting or towing heavy loads.

The trailer hitch on my BMW is rated the same as the curb weight.
However, the problem is that the hitch is designed to withstand forces
horizontally, and not vertically as would be the case if you tried
lifting the car with it. You might also damage the hitch to the point it
would be unsafe to use.

Ulf
Old September 12th 05, 06:33 AM
Alexander Rogge

> The trailer hitch on my BMW is rated the same as the curb weight.

That's likely a better tow hitch than a lot on the market. How much
weight it can tow depends on how the hitch is attached to the body and
if the engine and brakes can handle towing. There have been some
incidents where Induhviduals overload their engines or can't stop
because of the trailer load. There's a VW commercial with the Beetle
trying to tow a trailer, and the trailer has lifted the front end of the
car off the ground.
Old September 14th 05, 04:36 PM
Ulf

Alexander Rogge wrote:
>> The trailer hitch on my BMW is rated the same as the curb weight.

> That's likely a better tow hitch than a lot on the market. How much
> weight it can tow depends on how the hitch is attached to the body and
> if the engine and brakes can handle towing. There have been some
> incidents where Induhviduals overload their engines or can't stop
> because of the trailer load. There's a VW commercial with the Beetle
> trying to tow a trailer, and the trailer has lifted the front end of the
> car off the ground.

I wonder how may people know the difference between curb and gross
weight, and how to properly calculate the actual weight. My folks are
planning on buying a camper to pull behind their Grand Caravan, but
unfortunately my Dad doesn't know the first thing about towing. Among
other things I had to explain to him that the gross weight is the weight
when it's fully loaded four times before he got it, and even if the
gross weight is above the allowed trailer weight for their minivan it's
still okay as long as it's not loaded more than the difference between
the camper's curb weight and their minivan's trailer weight.

The trailer weight for my BMW is 3740 lbs., while theirs is 3520. So my
goal is to find a camper with a curb weight that's below 3520 and a
gross weight that's as close to 3740 as possible. Since when I borrow
it, which I intend to do, I want to be able to bring my motorcycle,
preferable inside the camper, and I want lots of space. I did find one I
liked, twin axle and 27 feet long with a gross weight of just under two
tons, but so far my Dad thinks it's too big for them...

Ulf