316i

Old June 24th 06, 12:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 316i

hey all,
just bougt a 95' model 316i
love the car, its my 2nd BM, had a 318is, but I crashed that, anyway, a
quick question.
I can smell fuel in the cabin.....all the time, the 318is did the same
thing.
Is this a prob of the 3series? or am I just having bad luck.....?
I've had the car detailed and cleaned professional inside but the smell
remains.........
I love 98 octane, but only through the injectors, anyone have an idea?????
thanx, any help appreciated
mikker

Old June 24th 06, 02:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

mikker wrote:
> hey all,
> just bougt a 95' model 316i
> love the car, its my 2nd BM, had a 318is, but I crashed that, anyway,
> a quick question.
> I can smell fuel in the cabin.....all the time, the 318is did the same
> thing.
> Is this a prob of the 3series? or am I just having bad luck.....?
> I've had the car detailed and cleaned professional inside but the
> smell remains.........
> I love 98 octane, but only through the injectors, anyone have an
> idea????? thanx, any help appreciated
> mikker

pull the rear seat base out and check the two screwed down panels, both give
access to the fuel tank, one for the fuel pump, one for the fuel guage. The
rubbery 'O' ring can perish, easilly replaced. Another possibility is the
pipe from the filler cap to the tank perishing.

http://www.hacksawgaming.com
servers so good, it's like cheating.....

Old June 25th 06, 02:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article > ,
mikker > wrote:
>hey all,
>just bougt a 95' model 316i
>love the car, its my 2nd BM, had a 318is, but I crashed that, anyway, a
>quick question.
>I can smell fuel in the cabin.....all the time, the 318is did the same
>thing.
>Is this a prob of the 3series? or am I just having bad luck.....?
>I've had the car detailed and cleaned professional inside but the smell
>remains.........
>I love 98 octane, but only through the injectors, anyone have an idea?????
>thanx, any help appreciated

A lot of cars do this. Fuel lines near the tank are leaking. Vapours
get sucked into the trunk with a window or sunroof open and the smell
of petrol is worse with the windows open than closed. Renew rotted
or missing lines.

If you have fuel leaking under the hood I wouldn't drive it again without
having a fire extinguisher in the car.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

WTD: E30 316i manual gearbox (UK) JB BMW 2 January 14th 06 07:59 PM
E30 316i manual box, stuck in reverse gear JB BMW 3 November 18th 05 06:07 PM
2000 316i SE compact X reg Richard Clarke BMW 0 November 2nd 05 05:57 PM
'94 316i Cold Start Shudder Behan BMW 0 May 5th 05 11:30 AM
BMW 316i Compact engine query RS990 BMW 3 December 10th 04 05:31 PM