A3 audio options

Old February 18th 07, 11:58 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony Rickard

Default A3 audio options

I am looking at getting a new A3. The standard Concert audio comes with
a single CD. To upgrade to a multi CD I seem to have 2 options.

1/ Add a glovebox autochanger

2/ Upgrade to the Symphony audio with an in-dash CD changer.

The Symphony option is cheaper and frees up room in the glovebox. Is
there any downside to going for the Symphony? I can't see why the
glovebox autochanger would be an option.

Cheers
Tony
Old February 19th 07, 05:59 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
Tony Rickard > wrote:

> I am looking at getting a new A3. The standard Concert audio comes with
> a single CD. To upgrade to a multi CD I seem to have 2 options.
>
> 1/ Add a glovebox autochanger
>
> 2/ Upgrade to the Symphony audio with an in-dash CD changer.
>
> The Symphony option is cheaper and frees up room in the glovebox. Is
> there any downside to going for the Symphony? I can't see why the
> glovebox autochanger would be an option.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

The glovebox CD changer makes the glovebox useless. Nothing bigger than
a bag of M&Ms will fit inside. Even the owner's manual doesn't fit!
I'm contemplating taking the A3 3.2 factory CD changer out.

Is there an option for an internal or external MP3 player? The Navi
system takes a pair of SD cards to play MP3s.
Old February 28th 07, 03:52 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Alex

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
> I am looking at getting a new A3. The standard Concert audio comes with
> a single CD. To upgrade to a multi CD I seem to have 2 options.
>
> 1/ Add a glovebox autochanger
>
> 2/ Upgrade to the Symphony audio with an in-dash CD changer.
>
> The Symphony option is cheaper and frees up room in the glovebox. Is
> there any downside to going for the Symphony? I can't see why the
> glovebox autochanger would be an option.

I just got a Sony headunit and XPlod changer in the boot.

Old March 2nd 07, 02:20 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Doug Warner

Tony Rickard > wrote:

>The Symphony option is cheaper and frees up room in the glovebox. Is
>there any downside to going for the Symphony? I can't see why the
>glovebox autochanger would be an option.

I had a Symphony radio in a loaner for a few days, and found two
incredibly annoying things about it, which may be configurable.

1. The often-changing FM radio text display showed at the top of the
cluster display, constantly, just inside my peripheral vision,. Very
distracting, and unnecessary.

2. When manually tuning, the instant you stop turning the knob, the
frequency display on the radio is replaced by text that says "Rock" ,
"classical", or whatever category of stuff the station transmits. As
a result, it's nearly impossible to see what direction you're tuning,
and whether you're getting close or not, or what station it;'s tuned
to.

If these "features" can't be disabled, I'd never consider the Symphony
radio.

(I have the NAV system in my car.. Nice radio & MP3 player, lousy GPS
display.)
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Old March 2nd 07, 02:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 21:20:46 -0500, Doug Warner >
wrote:

>Tony Rickard > wrote:
>

>>The Symphony option is cheaper and frees up room in the glovebox. Is
>>there any downside to going for the Symphony? I can't see why the
>>glovebox autochanger would be an option.
>>

>I had a Symphony radio in a loaner for a few days, and found two
>incredibly annoying things about it, which may be configurable.
>
>1. The often-changing FM radio text display showed at the top of the
>cluster display, constantly, just inside my peripheral vision,. Very
>distracting, and unnecessary.
>
>2. When manually tuning, the instant you stop turning the knob, the
>frequency display on the radio is replaced by text that says "Rock" ,
>"classical", or whatever category of stuff the station transmits. As
>a result, it's nearly impossible to see what direction you're tuning,
>and whether you're getting close or not, or what station it;'s tuned
>to.
>
>If these "features" can't be disabled, I'd never consider the Symphony
>radio.
>
>(I have the NAV system in my car.. Nice radio & MP3 player, lousy GPS
>display.)

Some folks have brains that are simply single-threaded ;-)

To disable the Symphony's Radio Data System that has proven to be oh so
distracting to you, just press the RDS button...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd - doesn't suffer any problems with RDS on ;-)
Old March 3rd 07, 08:38 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
LeakiestWink

"daytripper" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 21:20:46 -0500, Doug Warner
> >
> wrote:
>
>>Tony Rickard > wrote:
>>

>>>The Symphony option is cheaper and frees up room in the
>>>glovebox. Is
>>>there any downside to going for the Symphony? I can't see why
>>>the
>>>glovebox autochanger would be an option.
>>>

>>I had a Symphony radio in a loaner for a few days, and found
>>two
>>incredibly annoying things about it, which may be configurable.
>>
>>1. The often-changing FM radio text display showed at the top
>>of the
>>cluster display, constantly, just inside my peripheral vision,.
>>Very
>>distracting, and unnecessary.
>>
>>2. When manually tuning, the instant you stop turning the knob,
>>the
>>frequency display on the radio is replaced by text that says
>>"Rock" ,
>>"classical", or whatever category of stuff the station
>>transmits. As
>>a result, it's nearly impossible to see what direction you're
>>tuning,
>>and whether you're getting close or not, or what station it;'s
>>tuned
>>to.
>>
>>If these "features" can't be disabled, I'd never consider the
>>Symphony
>>radio.
>>
>>(I have the NAV system in my car.. Nice radio & MP3 player,
>>lousy GPS
>>display.)

> Some folks have brains that are simply single-threaded ;-)
>
> To disable the Symphony's Radio Data System that has proven to
> be oh so
> distracting to you, just press the RDS button...
>
> /daytripper
> '00 s4 6spd - doesn't suffer any problems with RDS on ;-)

Now, now, daytripper ;-) LOL

I'm sure the centre display in the instrument cluster can also be
switched off completely too - but maybe only if you have DIS.

Rgds, Sean

How do I know what options I have? Snappo Corvette 8 November 20th 06 05:51 AM
SKY options Ray Cassick \(Home\) Saturn 2 September 9th 05 04:52 AM
E46 options? E Brown BMW 2 April 14th 05 11:53 AM
AAL options? Carl Saiyed Jeep 1 January 12th 05 01:53 AM