Bumper Boyz?

Old September 10th 04, 03:27 AM
J. Dan Jones

Default Bumper Boyz?

It is always best to have YOUR bumper replated instead of an exchange,
here's why.
1. the bumper you get might have been wrapped around a tree then
straightened. Any guess on how hard it's going to be to align in your holes?
Maybe your bumper has been tweaked?
2. you might get one that has been rust repaired. again the fitment might be
a problem. BBz will let you unwrap them usually to see any patches that
might have been made.
If you can live with that, go for it.
BBz have been around a good while, and although I have never bought from
them, I have checked out their plating. It isn't show quality, but the few
that I have looked at were pretty good body shop quality. And they are
reasonable plus you save on shipping.
If you were to get a show chrome plating on your 53 caddy, I suppose it
would cost you close to a new car price.
Good Luck,
Carlisle and Charlotte coming up!
Danno

"Robin Banks" > wrote in message
> Anyone here ever use Bumper Boyz? I've heard good things about them, but
> never got to talk to anyone that's had any of their replate jobs for very
> long.
>
> I'm mainly wondering about durability and shine long after they're new,
> peeling problems, etc.
>
> They do a trade system... they'll bring what you need to a car show (one

of
> the many they visit during the year), and you give them your old stuff.

Sort
> of like "instant plating", and I like that idea. :-) Saves on shipping

too,
> and some bumpers can cost a whole lot to ship. ...like on my '53 Caddie.
> There's more metal in my bumpers than in an entire new car, or so it

seems.

Old September 10th 04, 05:35 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Blake wrote:

> Besides, do you really want to do business with people who are so dim
> that cannot even spell "Boys" correctly?

Well, when you get right down to it, I'd rather deal with adults than boys anyway.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old September 10th 04, 06:53 PM
Rabbit

> Besides, do you really want to do business with people who are so dim
> that cannot even spell "Boys" correctly?

It's a trademark name. I'm willing to bet that if you asked them, they'd
know it's spelled incorrectly.

Sheesh.

Rabbit

Old September 10th 04, 09:11 PM
tom

I know a few people that made the mistake of buying from them. nothing
lasted more than 2 years.
also, they are about as bright as a 2 watt light bulb. for the past 3 years,
I have gotten stuck next to them at 6 swap meets, and they do not know how
to read, every time I have had to call security on them because they set up
in and take over my spots. the last time, I rolled in and saw all their crap
in one of my spots, I parked my 11,000 lb pickup on a stack of their
bumpers. they called security on me and tried to hand me a $13,000 bill for
the ruined bumpers. I told them to kiss my grits. if they were not in my
spot in the first place nothing would have happened. the track backed me,
and told them to shove it and go back to cal where they belong

Old September 11th 04, 12:49 AM
Nate Nagel

Roger Blake wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:53:08 -0400, Rabbit > wrote:
>
>>It's a trademark name. I'm willing to bet that if you asked them, they'd
>>know it's spelled incorrectly.

> I very much doubt it. Ten to one that when wearing caps these guys don't
> know which end is supposed to point forward, either.

They're actually very nice guys. Ther chrome isn't the best, but it
isn't the worst either. Good "driver" quality but for show I'd go with
someone better.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Old September 11th 04, 05:41 AM
v8z

A quick check on www.infospace.com using the "near an address" search using
"plating" as your search term, then Metal Polishing Buffing & Plating
within 20 miles of Detroit lists 45 entries. You might consider calling a
few of them and asking for some references - like maybe a list of some local
resto or hot rod shops they've done work for? Or call the Antique & Classic
Auto Restoration & Repair, or Auto Customizing Conversion & Restoration
shops directly and ask who they recommend.

--
V8Z
Chevy V6 powered '66 Datsun Roadster
http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/

> I've been asking at every local car "get together" about local rechrome
> places, and I either get nothing, or recommendations to stay away from

others.

Old September 11th 04, 08:23 AM
charge

"v8z" > wrote in message

> A quick check on www.infospace.com using the "near an address" search

using
> "plating" as your search term, then Metal Polishing Buffing & Plating
> within 20 miles of Detroit lists 45 entries. You might consider calling a
> few of them and asking for some references - like maybe a list of some

local
> resto or hot rod shops they've done work for? Or call the Antique &

Classic
> Auto Restoration & Repair, or Auto Customizing Conversion & Restoration
> shops directly and ask who they recommend.
>
> --
> V8Z
> Chevy V6 powered '66 Datsun Roadster
> http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/
> Chevy V8 powered '77 Datsun 280Z
> http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/
>

> > I've been asking at every local car "get together" about local rechrome
> > places, and I either get nothing, or recommendations to stay away from

> others.
> > Frustrating. I'm in Detroit, you'd think there'd be tons of places

around
> > here that I could get a good recommendation for.

I have seen their trailer at a few recent Car N' Parts Show(s) in
Springfield Ohio.

The Fall show should be soon.

---

Old September 11th 04, 01:17 PM
Rabbit

> My main concern is a job that's not going to rust or peel 3-4 years down

the
> road. It just has to look like chrome, not the Hope Diamond. <g> Of

course,
> I don't want it to look yellowish either. (I've seen some jobs like

that...
> yeech!)

Is there a company in your area that supplies bumpers for newer cars? They
often have connections to chrome companies -- that's how I got my '47
Cadillac bumpers done. But I also found out who did the work for them, and
went directly when I needed a second batch done. Could have saved
considerably on the first batch.

There are different qualities of chrome, and obviously you don't need the
show stuff. Make this clear at the beginning.

I'm also in the "your bumpers are better" school. The last thing you need is
to get them home and find that they don't line up, or they're bent, and your
own bumpers aren't available to you anymore.

Rabbit

Old September 11th 04, 08:19 PM
charge

"Rabbit" > wrote in message

> > My main concern is a job that's not going to rust or peel 3-4 years down

> the
> > road. It just has to look like chrome, not the Hope Diamond. <g> Of

> course,
> > I don't want it to look yellowish either. (I've seen some jobs like

> that...
> > yeech!)

> Is there a company in your area that supplies bumpers for newer cars? They
> often have connections to chrome companies -- that's how I got my '47
> Cadillac bumpers done. But I also found out who did the work for them, and
> went directly when I needed a second batch done. Could have saved
> considerably on the first batch.
>
> There are different qualities of chrome, and obviously you don't need the
> show stuff. Make this clear at the beginning.
>
> I'm also in the "your bumpers are better" school. The last thing you need

is
> to get them home and find that they don't line up, or they're bent, and

your
> own bumpers aren't available to you anymore.
>
> Rabbit

This thread has had some very interesting and sometimes condescending
comments from various posters..

We car restorers have US EPA and State EPA's to thank for causing the
demise of many replating and chrome shops.

I stated in a previous post of having seen The Bumper Boyz trailer at the
Springfield Ohio Cars N' Parts Show and Swap Meet.

---

Old September 12th 04, 02:21 AM
Rabbit

> > There are different qualities of chrome, and obviously you don't need
the
> > show stuff. Make this clear at the beginning.

> Thought I was pretty clear on what I was interested in. I originally

said:

Yes, yes, I realized that. I meant that when you're talking to the plater,
let him know what type you want.

Obviously you weren't clear that I was clear!

Rabbit

Chevy Blazer Rear Bumper Removal Spiderman 4x4 1 October 29th 04 12:28 PM
Rear bumper dvc Alfa Romeo 0 September 9th 04 02:22 AM
Rear Bumper Replacement Options for a '77 Spider G. MacPherson Alfa Romeo 12 June 23rd 04 06:16 PM
Help on replacing 2002 4runner bumper. cadenas 4x4 2 May 11th 04 04:06 PM