So *that* is what the whining noise was!

Old July 3rd 11, 09:27 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Default So *that* is what the whining noise was!

Started on the 156jtd on Saturday, a whining noise, raising
and dropping with engine revs.

Thought:
"I'll take it to a man who can on Monday to find out what
it is"

Today, took the dogs for a walk (their mad hour hareing
around the forest) and on the way back stopped at the local
7-11 for a bottle of milk.

No start!
Flat battery!

Green Flag recovery man arrived before the txt from
GreenFlag to tell me he was on his way!

Jump leads, car starts, multimeter on battery, 3/5ths of
bugger all charge going into the battery.

So.

How much of a dent in the empty wallet is a replacement
alternator likely to be?

Seeing as how it appears to be at the back of the effing
engine, it doesn't actually look like a DIY job (unless you
happen to have a hydraulic lift in the garage!)

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old July 4th 11, 08:10 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 03/07/2011 21:27, R C Nesbit wrote:

<snip>
> Seeing as how it appears to be at the back of the effing
> engine, it doesn't actually look like a DIY job (unless you
> happen to have a hydraulic lift in the garage!)

Think I had one done a while ago, although on a TS. While it stung, I
don't recall it being *that* bad.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 147 TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 4th 11, 09:01 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Catman spoke:
> > Seeing as how it appears to be at the back of the effing
> > engine, it doesn't actually look like a DIY job (unless you
> > happen to have a hydraulic lift in the garage!)
> >

> Think I had one done a while ago, although on a TS. While it stung, I
> don't recall it being *that* bad.

Hopefully not - since this has come on the back of SWMBO's 147 now
showing an "Engine Control Failure" warning (difficult to start & lumpy
tickover) my laptop died and has been replaced, the dishwasher, washing
machine and microwave have all died in the last month or three!

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old July 4th 11, 11:50 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 04/07/2011 09:01, R C Nesbit wrote:
> Catman spoke:
>>> Seeing as how it appears to be at the back of the effing
>>> engine, it doesn't actually look like a DIY job (unless you
>>> happen to have a hydraulic lift in the garage!)
>>>

>> Think I had one done a while ago, although on a TS. While it stung, I
>> don't recall it being *that* bad.

> Hopefully not - since this has come on the back of SWMBO's 147 now
> showing an "Engine Control Failure" warning (difficult to start& lumpy
> tickover)

AFM.

>my laptop died and has been replaced, the dishwasher, washing
> machine and microwave have all died in the last month or three!

Not bad. We're moving house.

<takes trick>

Old July 4th 11, 03:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Catman spoke:
> > Hopefully not - since this has come on the back of SWMBO's 147 now
> > showing an "Engine Control Failure" warning (difficult to start& lumpy
> > tickover)

> AFM.

SwotIFort

> >my laptop died and has been replaced, the dishwasher, washing
> > machine and microwave have all died in the last month or three!

> Not bad. We're moving house.

We *want* to move house[1] but can't bloody sell this one!

[1] Well, move onto a boat.

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old July 4th 11, 04:05 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 09:01:15 +0100, R C Nesbit > wrote:

>Catman spoke:
>> > Seeing as how it appears to be at the back of the effing
>> > engine, it doesn't actually look like a DIY job (unless you
>> > happen to have a hydraulic lift in the garage!)
>> >

>> Think I had one done a while ago, although on a TS. While it stung, I
>> don't recall it being *that* bad.

>Hopefully not - since this has come on the back of SWMBO's 147 now
>showing an "Engine Control Failure" warning (difficult to start & lumpy
>tickover) my laptop died and has been replaced, the dishwasher, washing
>machine and microwave have all died in the last month or three!

LOL. I fondly remember those days! In a similar way that having
children refocuses the moans and complaints of adults, having a car
that chews its way relentlessly through 1720UKP worth of tyres in
24000 miles (yes, that's 14ppm) refocuses how I moan about (car)
expenses. Ok, it's not as bad as depreciation but, wow, is it trying.

I used to put aside 1000UKP for every service the Alfa had from new
and, sadly, some needed more. Now I need to put that kind of money
aside for tyres at MOT time. No matter how much changes, things seem
to still stay the same..

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old July 4th 11, 07:25 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

SteveH spoke:
> > We *want* to move house[1] but can't bloody sell this one!
> >
> > [1] Well, move onto a boat.

> Water pikey!

Not yet!

Just plain Pikey for now!

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old July 5th 11, 06:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

R C Nesbit spoke:
> Started on the 156jtd on Saturday, a whining noise, raising
> and dropping with engine revs.

Well what an interesting and expensive day!

Call from the garage:
"you have a water leek, we think the noise is the water pump,
might as well do a cam-belt change if we have to replace it."

2nd call:
" Scrub that, it's not the water pump, it's the radiator -
shot to hell, can't repair it, needs a new one! Oh! and the
alternator is stuffed as well, throwing out 11v, and the noise
is the slipper-clutch on the pulley wheel"

So that'll be around £150 for alternator, £130 for radiator, +
labour!

:^(

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old July 6th 11, 09:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
D A Stocks

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
>R C Nesbit spoke:
>> Started on the 156jtd on Saturday, a whining noise, raising
>> and dropping with engine revs.

> Well what an interesting and expensive day!
>
> Call from the garage:
> "you have a water leek, we think the noise is the water pump,
> might as well do a cam-belt change if we have to replace it."
>
> 2nd call:
> " Scrub that, it's not the water pump, it's the radiator -
> shot to hell, can't repair it, needs a new one! Oh! and the
> alternator is stuffed as well, throwing out 11v, and the noise
> is the slipper-clutch on the pulley wheel"
>
> So that'll be around £150 for alternator, £130 for radiator, +
> labour!

ISTR it cost about £600 (can't remember the parts/labour split) on a 2.4
JTD. The part was an exchange recon. job, but it's very difficult to get at.

Weirdly, the only indication I got that anything was wrong (until the
battery went flat and the engine wouldn't start) was that the speedometer
failed ...

--
DAS

Old July 7th 11, 09:00 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

On 06/07/2011 21:01, D A Stocks wrote:
> "R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
>> R C Nesbit spoke:
>>> Started on the 156jtd on Saturday, a whining noise, raising
>>> and dropping with engine revs.

>> Well what an interesting and expensive day!
>>
>> Call from the garage:
>> "you have a water leek, we think the noise is the water pump,
>> might as well do a cam-belt change if we have to replace it."
>>
>> 2nd call:
>> " Scrub that, it's not the water pump, it's the radiator -
>> shot to hell, can't repair it, needs a new one! Oh! and the
>> alternator is stuffed as well, throwing out 11v, and the noise
>> is the slipper-clutch on the pulley wheel"
>>
>> So that'll be around £150 for alternator, £130 for radiator, +
>> labour!
>>

> ISTR it cost about £600 (can't remember the parts/labour split) on a 2.4
> JTD. The part was an exchange recon. job, but it's very difficult to get
> at.
>
> Weirdly, the only indication I got that anything was wrong (until the
> battery went flat and the engine wouldn't start) was that the
> speedometer failed ...

That's standard on some bikes these days. Particularly Triumphs.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 147 TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Whining/grinding noise on PT Cruiser John Foyt[_2_] Chrysler 5 February 12th 11 10:31 PM
aidi a6 :- whining noise Stef Audi 0 July 5th 07 10:34 PM
VW 2000 Passat with whining noise [email protected] VW water cooled 3 April 8th 07 06:40 PM
whining noise coming from rear Mike Ford Explorer 2 November 15th 04 07:39 AM
520i 1994: whining noise ikle BMW 0 October 17th 04 05:14 PM