Lincoln 1996 Sentinel Concept sdn (RM-lot 255) rsr clip .JPG (1/1)-5-5

Old February 21st 10, 04:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
doby

Default Lincoln 1996 Sentinel Concept sdn (RM-lot 255) rsr clip .JPG (1/1)-5-5

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lincoln 1996 Sentinel Concept sdn (RM-lot 255) rsr clip .JPG
Views:	368
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	194410
Old February 21st 10, 08:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
Max Magister

I can't help thinking that if Lincoln made cars that looked like this
instead of just pumping out gussied-up Fords they might actually get back
into the game. But they'd better hurry up or nobody will care any longer.

Max

Old February 21st 10, 05:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
Wolf K

Max Magister wrote:
> I can't help thinking that if Lincoln made cars that looked like this
> instead of just pumping out gussied-up Fords they might actually get back
> into the game. But they'd better hurry up or nobody will care any longer.
>
> Max
>
> "Doby" > wrote in message

Interesting pictures, despite the poor lighting. But I don't agree with
your judgemnt of the car's styling. I think it's ugly. There's a German
word that describes it accurately IMO: "protzig", which means something
like "arrogantly ostentatious." That's been Lincoln's styling problem
for several model cycles now. It used to be an elegant marque.

wolf k.
Old February 21st 10, 06:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
Max Magister

You know, as I was making my comment I thought about the overwhelming grille
on this concept and wondered if I should maybe have mentioned how much I
disliked it and how it simply didn't fit with the rest of the design. What
I was referring to in particular was the sharp fender lines, based on the
beautiful and simple Continentals starting in 1961. That's the look Lincoln
should be aiming for and the silly split grille homage going back to the
thirties should be trashed ASAP.

Before my previous lease ended I did an extended test drive in a new Lincoln
MkSomething (the one based on the Ford Fusion) but couldn't get over the
grille they'd grafted onto it to replace the previous simple design. It was
nice enough inside, had plenty of toys included, but it really did feel just
like a padded Ford Fusion. Mind you, the amazing off the top discounts were
pretty enticing until one took into account what they would do to the
residual value. No, they haven't quite found their way yet and unless they
get to it quickly it won't matter at all.

Max

m...

Old February 21st 10, 07:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

"Max Magister" > wrote in message
> You know, as I was making my comment I thought about the overwhelming
> grille on this concept and wondered if I should maybe have mentioned how
> much I disliked it and how it simply didn't fit with the rest of the
> design. What I was referring to in particular was the sharp fender lines,
> based on the beautiful and simple Continentals starting in 1961. That's
> the look Lincoln should be aiming for and the silly split grille homage
> going back to the thirties should be trashed ASAP.
>
> Before my previous lease ended I did an extended test drive in a new
> Lincoln MkSomething (the one based on the Ford Fusion) but couldn't get
> over the grille they'd grafted onto it to replace the previous simple
> design. It was nice enough inside, had plenty of toys included, but it
> really did feel just like a padded Ford Fusion. Mind you, the amazing off
> the top discounts were pretty enticing until one took into account what
> they would do to the residual value. No, they haven't quite found their
> way yet and unless they get to it quickly it won't matter at all.

Right now I think Ford Motor is about as viable as any car company you can
find. Or more so.
--
Pat Durkin (clovers)

http://tiny.cc/Z0EKR

Old February 21st 10, 07:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
Max Magister

I agree, Pat, but it's not because of Lincoln or Mercury. If they don't
find product for those two brand names, why keep them going? And if they're
going after a luxury position, they need to do more than they're doing with
Lincoln. I'm not saying that Cadillac is on the right track but at least
their product doesn't look like a Chevrolet or a Buick, SUVs excepted, of
course.

Max

Old February 21st 10, 11:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.vehicles
Wolf K

Paddy's Pig wrote:
> "Max Magister" > wrote in message
>> You know, as I was making my comment I thought about the overwhelming
>> grille on this concept and wondered if I should maybe have mentioned how
>> much I disliked it and how it simply didn't fit with the rest of the
>> design. What I was referring to in particular was the sharp fender lines,
>> based on the beautiful and simple Continentals starting in 1961. That's
>> the look Lincoln should be aiming for and the silly split grille homage
>> going back to the thirties should be trashed ASAP.
>>
>> Before my previous lease ended I did an extended test drive in a new
>> Lincoln MkSomething (the one based on the Ford Fusion) but couldn't get
>> over the grille they'd grafted onto it to replace the previous simple
>> design. It was nice enough inside, had plenty of toys included, but it
>> really did feel just like a padded Ford Fusion. Mind you, the amazing off
>> the top discounts were pretty enticing until one took into account what
>> they would do to the residual value. No, they haven't quite found their
>> way yet and unless they get to it quickly it won't matter at all.

> Right now I think Ford Motor is about as viable as any car company you can
> find. Or more so.

Agreed, they know something, mostly having to do with price-quality
ratio, I think. We drive an '05 Escape AWD V6, and like it; In fact I'd
like a new(er) one, because more recent models are quieter, have better
fuel economy, and much better stability control (according to the
reviews I've read.) Can't afford a newer one yet (I like to pay cash for
my cars), and anyhow it has another 100K clicks or so in it, I think.
I've become fanatical about regular servicing, which increases longevity
and then some. Our previous car, a '97 Taurus, had 240,000km when I sold
it to a former son-in-law. We would've kept it, but we wanted a car we
could more easily get in and out of, what with knee joints approaching
70 years of continuous use... ;-)

cheers,
wolf k.