Your Comments would be welcome

Old May 31st 09, 05:17 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tall Dave

Default Your Comments would be welcome

Hi Guys,

Things are not going well for me. On Saturday I had the 166 serviced at a
dealers including an oil change. It was them that recommended I swap my
tyres about.
This morning I saw some liquid stains on my drive, looked underneath the
Alfa and saw a pool of oil. the car has never leaked oil before, its
definitley as a consequence of the oil change, in fact I see on the invoice
I was billed for a new sump washer.
My recently laid block paved driveway is badly stained which is very
annoying.

How would you tackle this?

Cheers

Tall Dave.

Old May 31st 09, 08:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Tall Dave wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Things are not going well for me. On Saturday I had the 166 serviced at a
> dealers including an oil change. It was them that recommended I swap my
> tyres about.
> This morning I saw some liquid stains on my drive, looked underneath the
> Alfa and saw a pool of oil. the car has never leaked oil before, its
> definitley as a consequence of the oil change, in fact I see on the invoice
> I was billed for a new sump washer.
> My recently laid block paved driveway is badly stained which is very
> annoying.
>
> How would you tackle this?

Regular user of that garage? If so, I'd ask them politely to fix it.

If I wasn't, I'd probably sort it myself and chalk it up to experience
and never go back.

Depends really on the relationship you have with the firm in question.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/ra...B-5DABEBA9F37D

and a pressure washer

I suspect lots of other people would suggest you take it back anyway,
but personally my time is too valuable. By the time I'd taken it
anywhere, waited and got it back, I could have done it myself 5 times over.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 1st 09, 11:25 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Malcolm Osborne

"Tall Dave" > wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Things are not going well for me. On Saturday I had the 166 serviced at a
> dealers including an oil change. It was them that recommended I swap my
> tyres about.
> This morning I saw some liquid stains on my drive, looked underneath the
> Alfa and saw a pool of oil. the car has never leaked oil before, its
> definitley as a consequence of the oil change, in fact I see on the
> invoice I was billed for a new sump washer.
> My recently laid block paved driveway is badly stained which is very
> annoying.
>
> How would you tackle this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Tall Dave.

I had this problem after a service by an AR dealer - they must have stripped
the sump plug. They fixed it - not sure how - re-welding and tapping a new
thread, perhaps?

Malcolm Osborne
South Africa
1999 156TS - 273 000 Km

Old June 2nd 09, 08:52 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stef[_2_]

In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
Malcolm Osborne > wrote:

> "Tall Dave" > wrote in message
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Things are not going well for me. On Saturday I had the 166 serviced at a
>> dealers including an oil change. It was them that recommended I swap my
>> tyres about.
>> This morning I saw some liquid stains on my drive, looked underneath the
>> Alfa and saw a pool of oil. the car has never leaked oil before, its
>> definitley as a consequence of the oil change, in fact I see on the
>> invoice I was billed for a new sump washer.
>> My recently laid block paved driveway is badly stained which is very
>> annoying.
>>
>> How would you tackle this?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Tall Dave.

> I had this problem after a service by an AR dealer - they must have stripped
> the sump plug. They fixed it - not sure how - re-welding and tapping a new
> thread, perhaps?

This seems to happen a lot on the newer alfas. Use a new original sump
washer. These are metal with a plastic rim that seals it with very litle
tightning and can be used only once. The older copper or aluminum washers
require more torque for good sealing.

Easiest fix would be an oversize plug, I've heard a conical gearbox plug
can do the job but have no details on that. Possibly it can be fixed with
a suitable helicoil insert.

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

Baby On Board.
Old July 3rd 09, 11:28 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> Tall Dave wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Things are not going well for me. On Saturday I had the 166 serviced at a
>> dealers including an oil change. It was them that recommended I swap my
>> tyres about.
>> This morning I saw some liquid stains on my drive, looked underneath the
>> Alfa and saw a pool of oil. the car has never leaked oil before, its
>> definitley as a consequence of the oil change, in fact I see on the
>> invoice I was billed for a new sump washer.
>> My recently laid block paved driveway is badly stained which is very
>> annoying.
>>
>> How would you tackle this?

> Regular user of that garage? If so, I'd ask them politely to fix it.
>
> If I wasn't, I'd probably sort it myself and chalk it up to experience and
> never go back.
>
> Depends really on the relationship you have with the firm in question.
>
> http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/ra...B-5DABEBA9F37D
>
> and a pressure washer

Experience talking here - a pressure washer will spread the oil nicely all
over your drive. Get some sand on it first and soak it up, then get some
detergent on it to break down the oil and lift it from the stones... then a
pressure washer! And avoid any cemented parts as the pressure washer cleans
those out nicely too!!

Comments Please: BryanUT VW air cooled 1 November 7th 06 04:01 PM
Comments on '97 through '02 SL1 & SL2? Bob Shuman Saturn 5 May 23rd 06 05:14 AM
Buying our 3rd VW!/GLI comments? Steve Grauman VW water cooled 26 December 9th 04 06:35 PM
X3 comments??? mike BMW 20 December 3rd 04 02:40 AM
should we buy a durango? your comments please jojo Dodge 24 September 15th 04 02:23 AM