Heloo People!

Old March 8th 09, 02:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Default Heloo People!

Newbie here, thought I would introduce myself.

<Waves to Catman & SteveH>
- quiet, innit?

Anyway, Just bought a new(to me) 156JTD Sportwagon.
'53 plate, silver, bog standard, sadly with only the 115
motor, but almost pristine and only 38k on the clock, for
price of 10p for every mile it's done since new.

I've fancied one for a while, and the ageing Mitsubishi
Gallant V6 was well overdue replacement, but I thought the
156 might be a tad impractical with 3 dogs to squeeze into
the back, so my trip to see this example was mainly to
convince myself that it would be to small.

Then I took a test drive!

My last Alfa was a 164 V6 Lusso about 9 years ago, and I
loved that car then, and, remarkable to some, it was one of
the most reliable motors I have done >100k in - it *never*
broke down on me.

By the time I traded it in it was a wreck, mind! - I like
to imagine there is still a 3.0l V6 Hillman Imp stomping to
victory at grass-track events even today.

Anyway, first problem! - last night the bloody handbrake
cable snapped!

Is this a major job?
I'll probably book it into the local garage on Monday, but
is it likely to cost an arm and a leg?

Next question - is it worth looking into one of those
tuning boxes, or an engine re-map?
Claims I've seen reckon power up to 130 or 135bhp +
improved mileage, is this right? and is it likely to cause
any long-term harm to the engine?

--
Rob Pearson

Old March 8th 09, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

R C Nesbit wrote:
> Newbie here, thought I would introduce myself.

Are you? I've seen that name before. Ahh yes.

> <Waves to Catman & SteveH>
> - quiet, innit?

Very. It was moderately busy when I started it off, but usenet OTW has
dropped out if favour and alfaowner.com get more of 'our' traffic these
days.

> Anyway, Just bought a new(to me) 156JTD Sportwagon.
> '53 plate, silver, bog standard, sadly with only the 115
> motor, but almost pristine and only 38k on the clock, for
> price of 10p for every mile it's done since new.
>
> I've fancied one for a while, and the ageing Mitsubishi
> Gallant V6 was well overdue replacement, but I thought the
> 156 might be a tad impractical with 3 dogs to squeeze into
> the back, so my trip to see this example was mainly to
> convince myself that it would be to small.
>
> Then I took a test drive!
>
> My last Alfa was a 164 V6 Lusso about 9 years ago, and I
> loved that car then, and, remarkable to some, it was one of
> the most reliable motors I have done >100k in - it *never*
> broke down on me.

You get used to that. Alfas these days are, IME no more un-reliable than
any other car. And better than most.

> By the time I traded it in it was a wreck, mind! - I like
> to imagine there is still a 3.0l V6 Hillman Imp stomping to
> victory at grass-track events even today.
>
> Anyway, first problem! - last night the bloody handbrake
> cable snapped!

arsebiscuits.

> Is this a major job?
> I'll probably book it into the local garage on Monday, but
> is it likely to cost an arm and a leg?

I don't *think* so. Can't see any reason why it should but I've never
had one done, so can't really comment.

> Next question - is it worth looking into one of those
> tuning boxes, or an engine re-map?
> Claims I've seen reckon power up to 130 or 135bhp +
> improved mileage, is this right? and is it likely to cause
> any long-term harm to the engine?

Hoping that SWK will come along in a bit, but AIUI the diesel lumps are
utterly bullet proof. There are certainly plenty on alfaowner that have
chipped theirs to silly power.

HTH and welcome (back). It's a bit different in here

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old March 9th 09, 09:26 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stef[_2_]

In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
Catman > wrote:
> R C Nesbit wrote:
>
>> Anyway, Just bought a new(to me) 156JTD Sportwagon.
>> '53 plate, silver, bog standard, sadly with only the 115

Ehh, '53, that can't be the year. ;-)
Whatever happened to that FAQ that got posted here once in a while?

>> Anyway, first problem! - last night the bloody handbrake
>> cable snapped!

> arsebiscuits.
>>
>> Is this a major job?
>> I'll probably book it into the local garage on Monday, but
>> is it likely to cost an arm and a leg?

> I don't *think* so. Can't see any reason why it should but I've never
> had one done, so can't really comment.

Cables are not really expensive (cost me around 20 euro's each a year ago).
Changing them is real easy and should not take a lot of time (as long as you
remember to loosen the adjustment screw under the lever before you try to
remove/fit them).

If the other cable doesn't look in real good condition, put 2 new ones on.
The protective cap on the wheel end is probably already torn which will
lead to cable failure eventually. (the broken/missing cap is an MOT failure
over here (the Netherlands)).

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

Your supervisor is thinking about you.
Old March 9th 09, 10:18 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Stef wrote:
> In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
> Catman > wrote:
>> R C Nesbit wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, Just bought a new(to me) 156JTD Sportwagon.
>>> '53 plate, silver, bog standard, sadly with only the 115

> Ehh, '53, that can't be the year. ;-)

Oh yes it can, the odd reg we have in the UK

> Whatever happened to that FAQ that got posted here once in a while?

Pete used to do that. I hope he's OK.

<snip>

Old March 9th 09, 10:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

On Mar 8, 1:49*pm, R C Nesbit > wrote:
> Newbie here, thought I would introduce myself.
>
> <Waves to Catman & SteveH>
> *- quiet, innit?
>
> *Anyway, Just bought a new(to me) 156JTD Sportwagon.
> *'53 plate, silver, bog standard, sadly with only the 115
> motor, but almost pristine and only 38k on the clock, for
> price of 10p for every mile it's done since new.
>
> I've fancied one for a while, and the ageing Mitsubishi
> Gallant V6 was well overdue replacement, but I thought the
> 156 might be a tad impractical with 3 dogs to squeeze into
> the back, so my trip to see this example was mainly to
> convince myself that it would be to small.
>
> Then I took a test drive!
>
> My last Alfa was a 164 V6 Lusso about 9 years ago, and I
> loved that car then, and, remarkable to some, it was one of
> the most reliable motors I have done >100k in - it *never*
> broke down on me.
>
> By the time I traded it in it was a wreck, mind! - I like
> to imagine there is still a 3.0l V6 Hillman Imp stomping to
> victory at grass-track events even today.
>
> Anyway, first problem! - last night the bloody handbrake
> cable snapped!
>
> Is this a major job?
> I'll probably book it into the local garage on Monday, but
> is it likely to cost an arm and a leg?
>
> Next question - is it worth looking into one of those
> tuning boxes, or an engine re-map?
> Claims I've seen reckon power up to 130 or 135bhp +
> improved mileage, is this right? and is it likely to cause
> any long-term harm to the engine?
>
> --
> Rob Pearson

Rob,what part of the country are you in??

Regards

Richie
Old March 10th 09, 03:55 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

spoke:
> Rob,what part of the country are you in??

Nottinghamshire