Audi 100 S shuts down mysteriously on highway

Old May 8th 07, 11:42 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
audi100S

Default Audi 100 S shuts down mysteriously on highway

Hello all,
I was cruising at 70mph, when my tach (rpm) started to oscillate with
a clicking sound, and the engine shut down (rpm went to zero and I
lost power steering). all warning lights came on. I pulled over the
emergency lane, and came to a complete stop. The clicking sound still
persisted until I turned the ignition off. I restarted the car
immediately, and it started without any problem. After 20 miles or so,
it happend again.

I took it to a shop, and they pulled the codes, and there were a bunch
of them.

00545 - Engine transmission electrical connection open/short circuit
to ground - intermittent

00518 - throttle position sensor G69 short circuit to ground -
intermittent

00638 - Engine/transmission electrical connection 2 open/short circuit
to ground - intermittent

00532 - Supply voltage (B+) too low - Permanent

They cleared the fault codes, and I set on a 1500 mile long drive. The
first 800 miles were perfect, and the car died mysteriously again
(with the same symptoms as above). After a couple of seconds, i
restarted the car without any problems. This seems to happen only when
I exceed 60mph. The car died again a couple of times in the next 700
miles when I seemed to go over 60mph. At the end of my trip, I had the
mechanic pull codes, and there were no codes !!! They were not able to
replicate the problem as well

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old May 9th 07, 05:55 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_10_]

audi100S wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was cruising at 70mph, when my tach (rpm) started to oscillate with
> a clicking sound, and the engine shut down (rpm went to zero and I
> lost power steering). all warning lights came on. I pulled over the
> emergency lane, and came to a complete stop. The clicking sound still
> persisted until I turned the ignition off. I restarted the car
> immediately, and it started without any problem. After 20 miles or so,
> it happend again.
>
> I took it to a shop, and they pulled the codes, and there were a bunch
> of them.
>
> 00545 - Engine transmission electrical connection open/short circuit
> to ground - intermittent
>
> 00518 - throttle position sensor G69 short circuit to ground -
> intermittent
>
> 00638 - Engine/transmission electrical connection 2 open/short circuit
> to ground - intermittent
>
> 00532 - Supply voltage (B+) too low - Permanent
>
> They cleared the fault codes, and I set on a 1500 mile long drive. The
> first 800 miles were perfect, and the car died mysteriously again
> (with the same symptoms as above). After a couple of seconds, i
> restarted the car without any problems. This seems to happen only when
> I exceed 60mph. The car died again a couple of times in the next 700
> miles when I seemed to go over 60mph. At the end of my trip, I had the
> mechanic pull codes, and there were no codes !!! They were not able to
> replicate the problem as well
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

What year / engine is this?

the T44 series (with the I5) had problems with electrical connections
for the ECU in the drivers side kick panel when sun roof drains didn't
work properly and allowed rain water to get to that component.

The Auto trans is electronically controlled and the wiring sounds like
it needs work.

Take it to an independent Audi mechanic who is recommended by the locals
Old May 9th 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
audi100S

this is a 1994 audi 100 S