Don't know where else to turn...

Old March 26th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Don't know where else to turn...

.... got a 1990 Mustang GT Conv. triple white... The top just WILL
NOT close all the way - to the point of a 1/3 gap along top. (head
get real cold in the winter) Ford dealers won't even touch it. Any
ideas, bending, forcing? TIA

Kevin Miller
Old March 26th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Hey Kevin

If I read this correctly, you are saying you have a 1/3 inch gap when you
try to close it?

The top IS adjustable. What you need is to find an upholstry shop that does
convertible tops.

It's possible that you could heat it and let it relax some before closing
it.
I wouldn't force it. You could tear it or bend something or even break
something.

Give a bit more info, maybe even post a lin to a picture.
Is it out in freezing cold all the time? When was the last time that you
closed it completely? Did you open it on a cold day? (That's a no no, great
way to crack your top)
Where is it stored?
How long has it been like this?

Kate

:

Old March 28th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Thank you for your response! I believe you're on the right track...
The top is obviously 'old' and I believe 'hard'... Does this make
sense? In turn in doesn't close right. I was/am just afraid to sink
$600 for a new top and not have the issue resolved... Thanks again!

Kevin

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:09:26 -0600, "KJ.Kate"
(please ask)> wrote:

>Hey Kevin
>
>If I read this correctly, you are saying you have a 1/3 inch gap when you
>try to close it?
>
>The top IS adjustable. What you need is to find an upholstry shop that does
>convertible tops.
>
>It's possible that you could heat it and let it relax some before closing
>it.
>I wouldn't force it. You could tear it or bend something or even break
>something.
>
>Give a bit more info, maybe even post a lin to a picture.
>Is it out in freezing cold all the time? When was the last time that you
>closed it completely? Did you open it on a cold day? (That's a no no, great
>way to crack your top)
>Where is it stored?
>How long has it been like this?
>
>Kate

.. .

Old March 29th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Hey Kevin,
You can get a good one for less and then have it installed.
It will total that much, maybe more but you will love it when through.

Hope you get it fixed and let us know your results ok!

Kate

"Me" > wrote in message
:
: Thank you for your response! I believe you're on the right track...
: The top is obviously 'old' and I believe 'hard'... Does this make
: sense? In turn in doesn't close right. I was/am just afraid to sink
: $600 for a new top and not have the issue resolved... Thanks again!
:
: Kevin
:
: On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:09:26 -0600, "KJ.Kate"
: (please ask)> wrote:
:
: >Hey Kevin
: >
[...]
: >"Me" > wrote in message
: .. .
: >:
: >: ... got a 1990 Mustang GT Conv. triple white... The top just WILL
: >: NOT close all the way - to the point of a 1/3 gap along top. (head
: >: get real cold in the winter) Ford dealers won't even touch it. Any
: >: ideas, bending, forcing? TIA
: >:
: >: Kevin Miller
: >