Any word on US versions of the diesel Jeep Liberty or diesel Land Rover Discovery?

Old January 14th 04, 11:21 PM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 1/14/04 03:29, Exit's monkeys randomly typed:

> R. David Steele wrote:
>> I thought that these two were to be coming out this month?
>>
>> any word on this?

> I'm not sure about the Jeep which uses the Mercedes turbo-diesel but you
> won't see the Discovery diesel for a while. There are no plans to export the
> current Disco with the TD5 unit to North America but they may send over the
> all-new Discovery when it comes out later this year. It uses a jointly
> developed Ford/Peugeot 2.7l V6 turbo diesel with the latest common rail
> technology and puts out 200hp and over 300lbs-ft of torque but should still
> return 30mpg. The petrol engine will be a Jaguar 4.2 V8 with 300hp.

Hmmm, once the mounts and such for the Jag 4.2 are in there, isn't
much more effort to stuff in the good Jaguar bits and make that a
470 hp turbo, aka Discovery S.

Old January 15th 04, 12:24 AM
Bret Chase

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:33:49 +0000, ColonelTupperware
> wrote:

>:|On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:29:52 GMT, "Exit" > employed a
>:|troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:
>:|
>:|>R. David Steele wrote:
>:|>> I thought that these two were to be coming out this month?
>:|>>
>:|>> any word on this?
>:|>
>:|>I'm not sure about the Jeep which uses the Mercedes turbo-diesel but you
>:|>won't see the Discovery diesel for a while.
>:|
>:|The European Jeep Cherokee Diesels (Liberty for US) KJ models are
>:|powered by VM Diesels (2.5 for the manual and 2.8 for the Auto, both
>:|Common Rail types) not a Mercedes Diesel. The only Mercedes engine
>:|being used so far is in the WG Grand Cherokee which has a 2.7 Litre 5
>:|cyl variable vane turbo with electronic injection on a Common Rail
>:|system.
>:|Awesome engine, pity about the rest of the car.
>:|
>:|No idea of the introduction to the US though.
>:|Why would you want a diesel in the US?
>:|Doesn't gasoline cost less than the stuff you call beer? ;-)

gas is waaaaaaaaay cheaper than beer.... a gal (128 Oz) of gas here
(Maine, USA) is currently $1.60US... a 12 (144 Oz) pack of cheap
domestic beer is about $7.99. diesel has been cheaper than gas for
the last couple of years... it's price has remained rock solid while
gas prices do the yo-yo.

-Bret

Old January 15th 04, 12:24 AM
Bret Chase

Old January 15th 04, 08:26 AM
Exit

L0nD0t.$t0we11" <"L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
> Roughly 1/14/04 03:29, Exit's monkeys randomly typed:
>
>> R. David Steele wrote:
>>> I thought that these two were to be coming out this month?
>>>
>>> any word on this?

>> I'm not sure about the Jeep which uses the Mercedes turbo-diesel but
>> you won't see the Discovery diesel for a while. There are no plans
>> to export the current Disco with the TD5 unit to North America but
>> they may send over the all-new Discovery when it comes out later
>> this year. It uses a jointly developed Ford/Peugeot 2.7l V6 turbo
>> diesel with the latest common rail technology and puts out 200hp and
>> over 300lbs-ft of torque but should still return 30mpg. The petrol
>> engine will be a Jaguar 4.2 V8 with 300hp.

> Hmmm, once the mounts and such for the Jag 4.2 are in there, isn't
> much more effort to stuff in the good Jaguar bits and make that a
> 470 hp turbo, aka Discovery S.

Or even easier, the jag 4.2 supercharged version can easily put out 500hp
with a change of chip. . . . . ;-)

--
Julian
---------

Old January 15th 04, 08:26 AM
Exit

Old January 15th 04, 12:08 PM
rnf2

"Exit" > wrote in message
> L0nD0t.$t0we11" <"L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
> > Roughly 1/14/04 03:29, Exit's monkeys randomly typed:

> >> I'm not sure about the Jeep which uses the Mercedes turbo-diesel but
> >> you won't see the Discovery diesel for a while. There are no plans
> >> to export the current Disco with the TD5 unit to North America but
> >> they may send over the all-new Discovery when it comes out later
> >> this year. It uses a jointly developed Ford/Peugeot 2.7l V6 turbo
> >> diesel with the latest common rail technology and puts out 200hp and
> >> over 300lbs-ft of torque but should still return 30mpg. The petrol
> >> engine will be a Jaguar 4.2 V8 with 300hp.

> > Hmmm, once the mounts and such for the Jag 4.2 are in there, isn't
> > much more effort to stuff in the good Jaguar bits and make that a
> > 470 hp turbo, aka Discovery S.

> Or even easier, the jag 4.2 supercharged version can easily put out 500hp
> with a change of chip. . . . . ;-)
>
> --

Why not go the whole hog with the V12?

rhys

Old January 15th 04, 12:08 PM
rnf2

Old January 15th 04, 01:46 PM
Exit

rnf2 wrote:
> "Exit" > wrote in message
>> L0nD0t.$t0we11" <"L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
>>> Roughly 1/14/04 03:29, Exit's monkeys randomly typed:

>>> Hmmm, once the mounts and such for the Jag 4.2 are in there, isn't
>>> much more effort to stuff in the good Jaguar bits and make that a
>>> 470 hp turbo, aka Discovery S.

>> Or even easier, the jag 4.2 supercharged version can easily put out
>> 500hp with a change of chip. . . . . ;-)
>>
>> --

> Why not go the whole hog with the V12?
>
> rhys

There's a chap on alt.fan.landrover with a 4.2 jag unit in a Series 3 and
someone I used to know had a Series 3 with a V12 but he had to move the
radiator rather a long way forward. Went well though!

--
Julian
---------

Old January 15th 04, 01:46 PM
Exit

Old January 16th 04, 05:58 PM
ColonelTupperware

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:24:27 -0500, Bret Chase >
employed a troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:

>>:|
>>:|No idea of the introduction to the US though.
>>:|Why would you want a diesel in the US?
>>:|Doesn't gasoline cost less than the stuff you call beer? ;-)

>gas is waaaaaaaaay cheaper than beer.... a gal (128 Oz) of gas here
>(Maine, USA) is currently $1.60US... a 12 (144 Oz) pack of cheap
>domestic beer is about $7.99. diesel has been cheaper than gas for
>the last couple of years... it's price has remained rock solid while
>gas prices do the yo-yo.

Sheesh
Around my neck of the woods, draught beer (real ale not chemicalager)
is typically around £2 a pint and Petrol and Diesel is about 80p /
litre or about 45p a pint. That's about a quarter of the price of
beer.
There are more expensive beers of course, but somewhere near £2 will
get you a pint of session bitter in most places.

I cant work out your quantities in ounces because you use different
ounces and gallons to us. How much is your ordinary bar draft beer a
US gallon?

--
Russ
Jeep Technician and Big Hairy Biker