Coolant leak - not the water pump this time...

Old April 9th 07, 09:39 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Chris G.

Default Coolant leak - not the water pump this time...

Hi group

Yep, our 1984 Audi 100CD 2.2 has started leaking coolant again; this time
it's dripping from the area around the back of the sump, not the front as
was the case when the water pump shuufled off it's mortal coil. I've taken a
look at hoses, seals and so on, but it's very difficult to locate where the
leak is...anyone have any ideas off the top of your heads?

Cheers
Chris
: )

Old April 9th 07, 01:30 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Just pressurize the coolant system with some air and watch for leaks. I
have seen tiny pin holes in hoses, corroded or deformed coolant pipes, and
more.
You can be creative and use a bike pump and a rubber tire valve in a hose to
create this pressure. ;-)
I have not tried this "tool" but it should work and most people have a tire
pump anyway.
If you leave the cap on the system you should not have to worry about
overpressurizing the system.

On my 1983 4 cylinder it was a head gasket leak. There was a groove cut out
by the coolant "maybe" that allowed the coolant a way out of the engine.
The leak I had was at the very front of the engine in the timing belt area.
I had not seen this before! 8^o
--
later,
dave