Any word on US versions of the diesel Jeep Liberty or diesel Land Rover Discovery?

Old January 18th 04, 03:33 AM
rnf2

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> rnf2 > wrote:
>
> > > Or even easier, the jag 4.2 supercharged version can easily put out

500hp
> > > with a change of chip. . . . . ;-)
> > >
> > > --

> > Why not go the whole hog with the V12?

> Because the 4.2 V8 has better fuel economy and more oomph than the V12.
> The V12 was a lovely engine, still is, but it's no match for the AJV8.
> Not unless it's tuned up "quite a bit" in which case the 6.0 V12 can
> produce over 700bhp.
>
> However in standard form, the supercharged V8 is the mutts nutts. Should
> be easy to retrofit a supercharger to V8 Land Rover products in the near
> future and I expect to see Overfinch do exactly that.
>
> --

I've seen Range rovers here in NZ re-engined with Australian Holden V6 3.8L
engines. they'll take a supercharger without modification. Not sure the
output, but the Holden cars go fast! a 3.8L SS Berlina maxes over 290K on a
track.

rhys

Old January 18th 04, 04:25 AM
rnf2

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
.. .
> rnf2 > wrote:
>
> > I've seen Range rovers here in NZ re-engined with Australian Holden V6

3.8L
> > engines. they'll take a supercharger without modification. Not sure the
> > output, but the Holden cars go fast! a 3.8L SS Berlina maxes over 290K

on a
> > track.

> All sorts of weird and wonderful engines go into Land Rover vehicles in
> the UK. 6.2L GMC diseasels used to be a popular conversion. Overfinch
> are acknowledged as *the* tuning experts for Rangies and they used to
> regularly produce 5.7L Corvette engined Rangies with scary 0-60 times.
>
> The attraction with the Jag V8 is that if Land Rover fit the standard
> unit, then adding a supercharger will consist of finding a scrapped XJR
> or alternatively buying from the Jag parts catalogue. Either way, an
> easy conversion.
>
> --

If they take a Corvette 5.7 they'll take a Holden 5.7 from the same factory,
Holden make their own 3.8's which started as a Buick(?) V6 and ended up
entirely Aussie, but the amout of V8 holdens is low enough they still import
the V8s from america. The make their own Aussie Supercharger for the 5.7
tho. you can buy the supercharger right out of the catalogue and have it
dropped into any V8 holden enginend car.

Thik of your 5.7 rangies with a fan on it!

rhys

Old January 18th 04, 04:25 AM
rnf2

Old January 18th 04, 05:57 AM
rnf2

"Chris Phillipo" > wrote in message
.. .

> > Thats Expensive, the AA New car price comparasions are available at
> > www.nzaa.co.nz
> >

> > The Land rover Freelander for example comes in a 4 cyl 2L turbo diesel

and a
> > 2.5L V6 for exactly the same price. $57.490NZD for the auto. the manual

is
> > only available as a diesel for 2K less. the Disco SE Td5 2.5L diesel

and
> > the 4L V8 petrol are the same price at $69,500 NZD, petrol and diesel

HSEs
> > are $90,000 NZD. only the SE Td5 is available as a manual for 4K less.
> > Petrol Range rovers cost more than diesel range rovers.
> >
> > The BMW 330i SE Petrol is $100,900NZD while the 330D SE Diesel is
> > $98,900NZD.
> >
> > Toyota Hilux 4x2 SR5 manual D/cab petrol is $40,800NZD while the diesel

is
> > $40,000
> > The same in 4x4 are both $51,500
> >
> > Landcruiser Prado RV, Diesel and Petrol are the same price
> >
> > theres a big range of vehicles with diesels at the same or lower

price...

> > rhys
> >

> Typically if you get a diesel engine in anything here it's a big truck
> and the diesel is bigger than the gas engine so we have nothing that I
> know of that would compare besides VW cars which are overpriced by $6000
> even without an engine.
> --

Different countries, different laws, tariffs, fuel specs... Here there are
plenty of meduim size sedans with 2L diesel engines. Nissan Laurel for one.

rhys

Old January 18th 04, 05:57 AM
rnf2

Old January 20th 04, 05:12 PM
Blippie

>How much is your ordinary bar draft beer a
>US gallon?

I'm glad it's not my round ...

Cheers

Blippie
Visit the alt.aviation.safety FAQ online at www.blippie.org.uk

Old January 20th 04, 05:12 PM
Blippie

>How much is your ordinary bar draft beer a
>US gallon?

I'm glad it's not my round ...

Cheers

Blippie