GTR2 - NFS2 - help

Old December 15th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dowell

Default GTR2 - NFS2 - help

A few weeks ago, I asked this group for suggestions on an auto sim that used
the mouse (instead of keyboard, joystick or wheel).

GTR-2 was suggested, so I bought it. Yes, it runs great with just the
mouse. Thanks for the great tip on a fantastic program. It *is* fantastic.

I only have one issue with it.....it is too much for me. Man, this thing
needed 3 discs for the install and is very, very detailed.....for what I was
looking for, too detailed.

I was looking for something like NFS2 (the one that could be controlled with
a mouse).......I have a copy, but it won't run on Windows XP (if you know
how that can be done, please let me know, as I could never find an answer
via Google, and I really enjoyed that program.)

Otherwise, is there a way to simply start GTR-2, get in a car, and drive
around the track? I really don't want to learn the tracks, the circuits,
take lessons, take various levels of lessons within lessons then tests
within various levels of levels within lessons, learn the physics of
traction and take tests on it, adjust my tire pressure, etc., for hours or
weeks just to be able to get into a car and drive around a track.

This program is just waaaayyyyy ahead of me on the learning curve. It
reminds me of MS Flight Simulator on full-manual mode in a Lear jet.....just
way too much to learn. It took me days just to take off in a Piper Cub.

If this program is just too advanced for my needs, I understand, and I'll
sell it or trade it for something that is like NFS2 (mouse controlled), a
program like "Driver" (but with better graphics), a NASCAR simple sim, or
something like that.

All advice and suggestions welcomed. TIA!

Old December 16th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mark[_10_]

Dowell wrote:
> A few weeks ago, I asked this group for suggestions on an auto sim that used
> the mouse (instead of keyboard, joystick or wheel).
>
> GTR-2 was suggested, so I bought it. Yes, it runs great with just the
> mouse. Thanks for the great tip on a fantastic program. It *is* fantastic.
>
> I only have one issue with it.....it is too much for me. Man, this thing
> needed 3 discs for the install and is very, very detailed.....for what I was
> looking for, too detailed.
>
> I was looking for something like NFS2 (the one that could be controlled with
> a mouse).......I have a copy, but it won't run on Windows XP (if you know
> how that can be done, please let me know, as I could never find an answer
> via Google, and I really enjoyed that program.)
>
> Otherwise, is there a way to simply start GTR-2, get in a car, and drive
> around the track? I really don't want to learn the tracks, the circuits,
> take lessons, take various levels of lessons within lessons then tests
> within various levels of levels within lessons, learn the physics of
> traction and take tests on it, adjust my tire pressure, etc., for hours or
> weeks just to be able to get into a car and drive around a track.
>
> This program is just waaaayyyyy ahead of me on the learning curve. It
> reminds me of MS Flight Simulator on full-manual mode in a Lear jet.....just
> way too much to learn. It took me days just to take off in a Piper Cub.
>
> If this program is just too advanced for my needs, I understand, and I'll
> sell it or trade it for something that is like NFS2 (mouse controlled), a
> program like "Driver" (but with better graphics), a NASCAR simple sim, or
> something like that.
>
> All advice and suggestions welcomed. TIA!

I just jumped in and started racing with GTR2 immediately (admittedly
with the wheel). It has various difficulty options, but just stick with
the default, that gives you traction control, etc. (more realistic in my
opinion). You do need to learn the tracks though, if you aren't already
familiar with them. I don't see how you could have a racing game where
you don't need to learn the tracks - unless the car drives itself.
Old December 17th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"Mark" > wrote in message
> Dowell wrote:
>> A few weeks ago, I asked this group for suggestions on an auto sim that
>> used
>> the mouse (instead of keyboard, joystick or wheel).
>>
>> GTR-2 was suggested, so I bought it. Yes, it runs great with just the
>> mouse. Thanks for the great tip on a fantastic program. It *is*
>> fantastic.
>>
>> I only have one issue with it.....it is too much for me. Man, this thing
>> needed 3 discs for the install and is very, very detailed.....for what I
>> was
>> looking for, too detailed.
>>
>> I was looking for something like NFS2 (the one that could be controlled
>> with
>> a mouse).......I have a copy, but it won't run on Windows XP (if you know
>> how that can be done, please let me know, as I could never find an answer
>> via Google, and I really enjoyed that program.)
>>
>> Otherwise, is there a way to simply start GTR-2, get in a car, and drive
>> around the track? I really don't want to learn the tracks, the circuits,
>> take lessons, take various levels of lessons within lessons then tests
>> within various levels of levels within lessons, learn the physics of
>> traction and take tests on it, adjust my tire pressure, etc., for hours
>> or
>> weeks just to be able to get into a car and drive around a track.
>>
>> This program is just waaaayyyyy ahead of me on the learning curve. It
>> reminds me of MS Flight Simulator on full-manual mode in a Lear
>> jet.....just
>> way too much to learn. It took me days just to take off in a Piper Cub.
>>
>> If this program is just too advanced for my needs, I understand, and I'll
>> sell it or trade it for something that is like NFS2 (mouse controlled), a
>> program like "Driver" (but with better graphics), a NASCAR simple sim, or
>> something like that.
>>
>> All advice and suggestions welcomed. TIA!
>>

> I just jumped in and started racing with GTR2 immediately (admittedly with
> the wheel). It has various difficulty options, but just stick with the
> default, that gives you traction control, etc. (more realistic in my
> opinion). You do need to learn the tracks though, if you aren't already
> familiar with them. I don't see how you could have a racing game where you
> don't need to learn the tracks - unless the car drives itself.

Actually, GTR2 without a wheel would, at least for me, be impossible to
drive. The NFS Underground series might be a better bet but I am not sure it
will work with a mouse. I know it has keyboard controls though. At least it
has the option to just drive around, although you may get some challenges.

Ed

Old December 18th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andi Cole

Create an empty file called SDNDTG.DYN in your GTR2 folder and run GTR2 you
will now have all cars and tracks to play with. Set the sim up for amateur
level and have fun.

Andi.

.. .

Old December 19th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> I was looking for something like NFS2 (the one that could be controlled with
> a mouse).......I have a copy, but it won't run on Windows XP (if you know
> how that can be done, please let me know, as I could never find an answer
> via Google, and I really enjoyed that program.)

Do you have NFS2 or NFS2SE?

NFS2 and NFS2SE will run with Windows XP, but they have a problem if
ram or the swap file is bigger than 512MB. There are two workarounds.

You can download this zip file: http://jeffareid.net/nfs2/w512mb.zip,
and run w512mb.exe one or more times to allocate (use up) ram and
swap file space. I run it 4 times, and then I can run NFS2SE.

The other workaround is to create an Application Compatability database
entry for it via a .SDB file. I made one for NFS2SEN.EXE and NFS2SEA.EXE.

You need to install \support\tools\act20.exe from your Windows XP
cd-rom. This is the appication compatability tool kit. Then run
the "Compatibility Administration Tool" to create an .SDB file for
NFS2.EXE. Click on Database, create application fix, and click on
these 3 items:

CorrectFilePaths
EmulateGetDiskFreeSpace
GlobalMemoryStatusLie

Then do a save as ..., I suggest you use the name nfs2xp.sdb.

Now that you have the sdb created, you need to install it. To do this
run \windows\system32\sdbinst.exe nfs2xp.sdb.

If you have NFS2SE, there's a 3d version that you can use a glide
wrapper with it to increase resolution.

Old December 19th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

You should probably post this stuff at alt.games.needforspeed

>> I was looking for something like NFS2 (the one that could be controlled with
>> a mouse).......I have a copy, but it won't run on Windows XP (if you know

Links (I've added replies to these), for NFS2SE.

http://www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.p.../175472/page/1

http://computing.net/gaming/wwwboard/forum/7545.html

Old December 20th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Dowell wrote:

> I only have one issue with it.....it is too much for me. Man, this thing
> needed 3 discs for the install and is very, very detailed.....for what I was
> looking for, too detailed.
>
> I was looking for something like NFS2 (the one that could be controlled with
> a mouse).......I have a copy, but it won't run on Windows XP (if you know
> how that can be done, please let me know, as I could never find an answer
> via Google, and I really enjoyed that program.)
>
> Otherwise, is there a way to simply start GTR-2, get in a car, and drive
> around the track? I really don't want to learn the tracks, the circuits,
> take lessons, take various levels of lessons within lessons then tests
> within various levels of levels within lessons, learn the physics of
> traction and take tests on it, adjust my tire pressure, etc., for hours or
> weeks just to be able to get into a car and drive around a track.
>
> All advice and suggestions welcomed. TIA!

Just use arcade mode. There'll be some locked tracks, but plenty are
unlocked as defaults. None of the cars are locked. If that's too
easy, semi-pro with your choice of driving aids.

Note that the school exercises definitely help you learn to go faster,
tho.

Old December 20th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I agree. The driving school is actually pretty darned good in GTR2.

I still get my ass kicked in the hairpin lesson.

-Larry

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Note that the school exercises definitely help you learn to go faster,
> tho.

The ADC is Replacing GTR With GTR2 David Fletcher Simulators 2 November 27th 06 11:28 PM
NAP patch for GTR2 Tony Rickard Simulators 15 October 12th 06 02:45 AM
GTR2 fps help needed Jim C Simulators 2 October 9th 06 01:48 AM
GTR VS GTR2? BRH Simulators 20 October 2nd 06 07:46 PM
rFactor vs. GTR2 Chang Liu Simulators 9 September 18th 06 08:21 AM