NASA and Race2Play

Old December 13th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dave F

Default NASA and Race2Play

http://www.race2play.com/front/index

NATIONAL AUTO SPORT ASSOCIATION EMBRACES
SANCTIONED SIM RACING WITH RACE2PLAY

The National Auto Sport Association and Race2Play jointly announce an
alliance of firsts for both the real world of motorsports and the virtual
world of simulated auto racing: Real-time sim racing online sanctioned by a
real-world motorsports body.

Race2Play is the exclusive provider of the National Auto Sport Association's
online racing division, and conducts all events under NASA regulations where
applicable to sim racing. The two organizations plan future development
programs for transitioning experienced sim racers to the ranks of real-world
racers, bringing with them a well-earned foundation in race technique and
knowledge.

"There's no doubt that becoming experienced and accomplished in sim racing
is a huge step up for new drivers," NASA Executive Director Jerry Kunzman
said. "These drivers are farther along the learning curve than others who
may be just starting out.

"Even professionals find it useful, to be able to take sim laps at tracks
they may have never seen before, to judge their line and braking points and
throttle response through the turns. It's a huge advantage."

The National Auto Sport Association (nasaproracing.com) promotes and
sanctions racing events at major venues throughout the United States,
including its national championships at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. With the
unveiling of NASASimRacing (nasasimracing.com), powered by Race2Play, NASA
is the first real-world motorsports sanctioning body to fully embrace the
benefits of simulated auto racing and its place in the racing world at
large.

Race2Play (race2play.com) is a premier organizer of real-time simulated auto
racing online, advancing the sport as the first and only such organization
in the marketplace to be acknowledged and recognized by a real-world
motorsports sanctioning body.

"We are absolutely thrilled to be making this connection between the real
and virtual worlds of auto racing," Race2Play co-founder Todd Weiss said.
"We believe the National Auto Sport Association to be a great match for the
aims and interests of sim racers, and are extremely proud for NASA to have
judged Race2Play the equivalent of a professionally run racing organization
online."

--
David G Fisher

Old December 13th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Woodie83

Dave F wrote:

> Race2Play (race2play.com) is a premier organizer of real-time simulated auto
> racing online, advancing the sport as the first and only such organization
> in the marketplace to be acknowledged and recognized by a real-world
> motorsports sanctioning body.

First and only? Sure sounds familiar.

Don McCorkle
Old December 15th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Scott B. Husted

Woodie83 wrote:
> Dave F wrote:
>
>> Race2Play (race2play.com) is a premier organizer of real-time
>> simulated auto racing online, advancing the sport as the first and
>> only such organization in the marketplace to be acknowledged and
>> recognized by a real-world motorsports sanctioning body.

> First and only? Sure sounds familiar.
>

> Don McCorkle

I was told by TEN that my Official NROS license is in the mail. I can't
wait!

Old December 15th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

How come this whole thing sounds like a Chinease Imitation, NASA? **** me.
kinda like the Mypod aint it?
Scott B. Husted enlightened us with:

Old December 15th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Osarenren

it sounds like a sanctioned league to me . just another one that we wiL
have to pay for. I see it being a posssibility if they run it like the
leagues where you pay fees but also have a chance to win money at the
end of the season. if there is no winners money involved it will die
out quickly. I am also afraid that there is so much choice out there
that this wiL not stand a chance.

Old December 15th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Osarenren wrote:
> it sounds like a sanctioned league to me . just another one that we wiL
> have to pay for. I see it being a posssibility if they run it like the
> leagues where you pay fees but also have a chance to win money at the
> end of the season. if there is no winners money involved it will die
> out quickly. I am also afraid that there is so much choice out there
> that this wiL not stand a chance.

I would prefer to race online but outside of the league I run in I
cannot commit another evening to organised events. The pick up racing
seems to be chaotic. When I have some free time I never seem to find a
server with the right mod at a track I have driven (or have installed).
When I do the racing is of variable quality.

Bringing some organisation to this mayhem would be very welcome. R2P
looks to be well organised and we will see how it pans out. Plus it
provides a varied choice and I could see it sitting comfortably
alongside other ventures based on other racing series.

We will have to see how the financial model pans out - you can race for
free on R2P currently, but you get last shot at the grid slots compared
with those that do pay.

Compared with the dial up costs back in the late 90s the combination of
cheap broadband and subscription racing series would probably at worst
break even.

If it was all about winning money then you might as well play online
poker. The now and future subscription options will be all about the
quality of the experience, which is what will determine their success or
failure compared with what can be experienced for free.

Cheers
Tony

Old December 15th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Osarenren

I guess I don't totally undertand the idea. is this paid and sanctioned
pickup races, or are there championships involved.

if its the former then I say thanks but no. I'll stick with the free
races. its hit or miss but I am finding gtr2 to be more hit than miss
lately. maybe its because I qualify higher up now and stay far ahead of
the mayhem.

Old December 15th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Osarenren wrote:
> I guess I don't totally undertand the idea. is this paid and sanctioned
> pickup races, or are there championships involved.

There are scheduled races in various series with driver and team
rankings for each. There are going be championships of some form with
prizes it seems.

The model seems quite interesting, you can race for free, but if you
decide you want more chance of getting in the series of choice then you
can subscribe to get the choice. If it is successful and grids fill up
then people will choose to pay. Of course if it isn't and you can always
race for free then I guess it won't stay around...

Cheers
Tony
Old December 15th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Scott B. Husted

Scott B. Husted wrote:
> Woodie83 wrote:
>
>> Dave F wrote:
>>
>>> Race2Play (race2play.com) is a premier organizer of real-time
>>> simulated auto racing online, advancing the sport as the first and
>>> only such organization in the marketplace to be acknowledged and
>>> recognized by a real-world motorsports sanctioning body.

>> First and only? Sure sounds familiar.
>>

>> Don McCorkle

> I was told by TEN that my Official NROS license is in the mail. I can't
> wait!

Just for the record, I wasn't criticizing Race2Play in the least... I
was just making an attempt at a funny at the NROS' expense.

--
Scott B. Husted®
http://www.Husted.cc
Old December 16th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Ha!

I just saw NASA after talking about cheap imitation knock off things, we
have seen or gotten for xmas lately, and with China changing the xchange
rate of thier monitary standards, I also meant frak, but oh well...