trailer towing question

Old November 7th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dave Gower[_1_]

Default trailer towing question

For my next vehicle I'm looking at one of those mini-SUV or cross-over
vehicles such as the HHR, Compass, or Vibe/Matrix. I need to occasionally
pull a small utility trailer, empty weight 500 lbs, max gross weight 2000.
Trips would be mostly short that is from the building centre to home.

I'm trying to make sense of the official company ratings for towing. The HHR
and the 2wd Compass weigh about the same, but the Chevy has a 1000 lb rating
and the Jeep twice that. And the Matrix/Vibe which weighs 400 lb less has a
rating of 1500 lb. I'm wondering if all this really reflects ability to pull
a trailer safely, or is GM simply being more cautious?

Old November 7th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Dave Gower wrote:

> For my next vehicle I'm looking at one of those mini-SUV or cross-over
> vehicles such as the HHR, Compass, or Vibe/Matrix. I need to occasionally
> pull a small utility trailer, empty weight 500 lbs, max gross weight 2000.
> Trips would be mostly short that is from the building centre to home.
>
> I'm trying to make sense of the official company ratings for towing. The HHR
> and the 2wd Compass weigh about the same, but the Chevy has a 1000 lb rating
> and the Jeep twice that. And the Matrix/Vibe which weighs 400 lb less has a
> rating of 1500 lb. I'm wondering if all this really reflects ability to pull
> a trailer safely, or is GM simply being more cautious?

The tow vehicle weight is only one relatively small part of the
equation. The tow vehicles braking system capacity and suspension system
capacity are much more important, particularly if the trailer doesn't
have brakes.

None of the cars or cars in SUV disguise will have the towing ability of
a real pickup or large SUV that has a frame (not unibody) and more
substantial suspension and drivetrain.

Pete C.
Old November 7th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dave Gower

"Pete C." > wrote

> The tow vehicle weight is only one relatively small part of the
> equation. The tow vehicles braking system capacity and suspension system
> capacity are much more important, particularly if the trailer doesn't
> have brakes.
>
> None of the cars or cars in SUV disguise will have the towing ability of
> a real pickup or large SUV that has a frame (not unibody) and more
> substantial suspension and drivetrain.

Uh, well thank you but I was aware of these general points, but I was hoping
someone could comment on the specific vehicles mentioned.

Old November 7th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Dave Gower wrote:

> For my next vehicle I'm looking at one of those mini-SUV or cross-over
> vehicles such as the HHR, Compass, or Vibe/Matrix. I need to occasionally
> pull a small utility trailer, empty weight 500 lbs, max gross weight 2000.
> Trips would be mostly short that is from the building centre to home.
>
> I'm trying to make sense of the official company ratings for towing. The HHR
> and the 2wd Compass weigh about the same, but the Chevy has a 1000 lb rating
> and the Jeep twice that. And the Matrix/Vibe which weighs 400 lb less has a
> rating of 1500 lb. I'm wondering if all this really reflects ability to pull
> a trailer safely, or is GM simply being more cautious?

Its not just power vs. weight, its about braking, cornering, and other
aspects of vehicle dynamics. The HHR is a front-drive, and the Compass
is rear-drive. That alone makes the Compass a much better towing
platform than the HHR. If anything, I'd say the Matrix is over-rated at
1500 lb.

Old November 7th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dave Gower[_1_]

"Steve" > wrote

>The HHR is a front-drive, and the Compass is rear-drive.

The Compass (which in fact is a Caliber with a Jeep-like body) is either
front-drive or 4WD. I'd buy the front-drive.

Old November 7th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
bob

"Dave Gower" > wrote in message
> For my next vehicle I'm looking at one of those mini-SUV or cross-over
> vehicles such as the HHR, Compass, or Vibe/Matrix. I need to occasionally
> pull a small utility trailer, empty weight 500 lbs, max gross weight 2000.
> Trips would be mostly short that is from the building centre to home.
>
> I'm trying to make sense of the official company ratings for towing. The
> HHR and the 2wd Compass weigh about the same, but the Chevy has a 1000 lb
> rating and the Jeep twice that. And the Matrix/Vibe which weighs 400 lb
> less has a rating of 1500 lb. I'm wondering if all this really reflects
> ability to pull a trailer safely, or is GM simply being more cautious?

I'll probably get flamed but I'd buy the one I liked best. Infrequent short
trip from Home Depot can be managed by a riding lawn mower. Drive
cautionsly when loaded and I doubt you will have any issue unless you have
serious hills to navigate.

The ratings are based on several things. The 1000 pound rating is for
driving at highway speeds down the highway for significant miles. To avoid
warranty issues, this car can perform this task or they wouldn't print it.
A 2000 load will most likely overhead a small automatic transmission at high
way speeds for hours one end in a car rated for 1000 max. Again, 1500 lb
for 5 miles at 35mph, allowing ample stopping space will probably hurt
nothing.. Oh yeah, be sure to balance the load with like 60% on the tong,
40% behnid axle (toung weight should be about 10% of total load or 150# for
1500#. This should not be an issue to the suspension...

Again, that is what I would do. Not saying this is the best solution.

Old November 8th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Richard Krause

"Dave Gower" > wrote in message
> For my next vehicle I'm looking at one of those mini-SUV or cross-over
> vehicles such as the HHR, Compass, or Vibe/Matrix. I need to occasionally
> pull a small utility trailer, empty weight 500 lbs, max gross weight 2000.
> Trips would be mostly short that is from the building centre to home.
>
> I'm trying to make sense of the official company ratings for towing. The
> HHR and the 2wd Compass weigh about the same, but the Chevy has a 1000 lb
> rating and the Jeep twice that. And the Matrix/Vibe which weighs 400 lb
> less has a rating of 1500 lb. I'm wondering if all this really reflects
> ability to pull a trailer safely, or is GM simply being more cautious?

Dave: does the trailer have brakes? How occasional is the towing? What kind
of terrain?

Richard

Old November 8th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dave Gower[_1_]

"Richard Krause" > wrote

> Dave: does the trailer have brakes? How occasional is the towing? What
> kind of terrain?

No trailer brakes, hard to say how often (maybe once a week?), mainly flat
or moderate low hills. Distances unlikely to exceed 30 miles, probably much
less.

Old November 8th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Richard Krause

"Dave Gower" > wrote in message

> "Richard Krause" > wrote
>
>> Dave: does the trailer have brakes? How occasional is the towing? What
>> kind of terrain?

> No trailer brakes, hard to say how often (maybe once a week?), mainly flat
> or moderate low hills. Distances unlikely to exceed 30 miles, probably
> much less.

Once a week seems more than occasional to me. Many people who need to tow
buy "too much" tow vehicle in my opinion. But in this case, you need a
beefier vehicle than the Vibe or the HHR. The Compass would be barely
adequate. I'd still think you will have marginal braking and acceleration. A
vehicle in the Trailblazer size range is going to be a lot more suitable.

Richard

Old November 8th 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Dave Gower wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote
>
> > The tow vehicle weight is only one relatively small part of the
> > equation. The tow vehicles braking system capacity and suspension system
> > capacity are much more important, particularly if the trailer doesn't
> > have brakes.
> >
> > None of the cars or cars in SUV disguise will have the towing ability of
> > a real pickup or large SUV that has a frame (not unibody) and more
> > substantial suspension and drivetrain.

> Uh, well thank you but I was aware of these general points, but I was hoping
> someone could comment on the specific vehicles mentioned.

I think the point was that the vehicles mentioned will all be about the
same as far as actually towing ability regardless of manufacturers
claimed capacity. All should handle the light, brakeless trailer
reasonably well if it's loaded with a couple sheets of sheetrock or
similar. All will handle like **** if you load the trailer to that
2,000# gross max, though you'll probably survive if it's only a 10 mile
trip. Do not consider any of those vehicles as viable for frequent
towing as that will in all probability cause premature wear on the
lightweight suspension components.

Pete C.

Trailer crackdown; anyone know anything about this? brink Driving 28 September 20th 06 07:14 AM
Towing a trailer tent with an Accord 2002 Martin Honda 1 April 19th 06 08:09 PM
Towing Question - Vue PerfectReign Saturn 5 December 27th 05 01:08 AM
"over-run" brakes? Michael White Jeep 15 June 7th 05 07:56 PM
Simple question about towing a Chevi Nova '85 or '88 Alejandro Castillo General 9 September 17th 04 07:35 AM