'06 Corvette?

Old February 25th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default '06 Corvette?

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:32:19 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>GM recomends 60-90 miles per hour on the public roads?

I thought it was keep it under 60 and vary the speed, maybe an RPM
restriction too, for the first 500 miles.

This to break in the gears in the tranny and rear end. Maybe no hard
braking too.
Old February 25th 06, 08:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Mutts wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:32:19 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:
>

>>GM recomends 60-90 miles per hour on the public roads?
>>

>I thought it was keep it under 60 and vary the speed, maybe an RPM
>restriction too, for the first 500 miles.
>
>This to break in the gears in the tranny and rear end. Maybe no hard
>braking too.

You got the brakes part backwards.... With new pads and rotors you want
to do a series
of very very hard stops from 50-60mph to stop, with time for them to
cool between. This
will deposit a layer of pad material on the rotors, creating a proper
co-efficient of friction material...
That way you won't suffer from weak braking in the wet, and shorter
stopping distance in the dry...

Babying the brakes during break-in and you will have terrible terrible
brakes in the wet,
and so so brakes in the dry.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old February 26th 06, 09:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:31:38 -0600, RicSeyler >
wrote:

>Mutts wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:32:19 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:
>>

>>>GM recomends 60-90 miles per hour on the public roads?
>>>

>>I thought it was keep it under 60 and vary the speed, maybe an RPM
>>restriction too, for the first 500 miles.
>>
>>This to break in the gears in the tranny and rear end. Maybe no hard
>>braking too.
>>

>You got the brakes part backwards.... With new pads and rotors you want
>to do a series
>of very very hard stops from 50-60mph to stop, with time for them to
>cool between. This
>will deposit a layer of pad material on the rotors, creating a proper
>co-efficient of friction material...
>That way you won't suffer from weak braking in the wet, and shorter
>stopping distance in the dry...
>
>Babying the brakes during break-in and you will have terrible terrible
>brakes in the wet,
>and so so brakes in the dry.

Owners manual sez...........

Starting and Operating Your
Vehicle
New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate
break-in. But it will perform better in the long run
if you follow these guidelines:
• Keep your speed at 55 mph (88 km/h) or less for
the first 500 miles (805 km).
• Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast
or slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do
not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting
to brake, or slow, the vehicle.
• Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
(322 km) or so. During this time your new brake
linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new
linings can mean premature wear and earlier
replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline
every time you get new brake linings.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can be
gradually increased.
Old February 26th 06, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

<shrugs shoulders>
dunno what GM has going then.
But any other brake manufacturer will tell you to do
what I was saying..... Maybe that is something very unusual
and specific with GM "manufactured" pads.. But if the manual states
that, then I guess I'd do as it says. <shrugs shoulders again>

Old February 27th 06, 07:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

RicSeyler wrote:
> <shrugs shoulders>
> dunno what GM has going then.
> But any other brake manufacturer will tell you to do
> what I was saying..... Maybe that is something very unusual
> and specific with GM "manufactured" pads.. But if the manual states
> that, then I guess I'd do as it says. <shrugs shoulders again>
>
> Mutts wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:31:38 -0600, RicSeyler >
>>

>> • Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
>> (322 km) or so. During this time your new brake
>> linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new
>> linings can mean premature wear and earlier
>> replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline
>> every time you get new brake linings.
>> Following break-in, engine speed and load can be
>> gradually increased.

I tend to think you're both right here. Aside from drive train concerns,
some 'fast start/hard stop' counsel for the first 50 miles is aimed at
letting tire beads settle. I agree with several conditioning stops from
50 mph to condition brake pucks--that was even standard in the drum-shoe
days. A cool down after each stop is in the cards as well. For a
Corvette, I consider a "hard stop" to be from something over 85 mph.

--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe