California Smog Check Question

Old February 1st 05, 12:11 AM
TheSmogTech

Default California Smog Check Question

Here's the deal with How Long is a California Smog Certificate Valid
For? Depending on why you obtain your smog test, it may be valid for 60
or 90 days. If you obtained a smog certificate during your vehicle's
registration renewal, once you use the certificate to register you car,
it will only be good "for the purpose of sale" for 60 days. If however
you obtain a smog certificate simply for the purpose of selling your
vehicle, the certificate will be good for 90 days.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If there is anything I can
help with in the future, don't hesitate to e-mail.

I can be reached at

Sincerely,
Alec - SmogTips Support
http://www.smogtips.com

wrote:
> Alan Quan > wrote:
>
> =B7 Greetings,
> =B7 About two months ago, we bought a 1989 Nissan Maxima SE,

3=2E0L
> =B7 engine, with 172,000 miles on it from a family friend. By

acquiring the
> =B7 vehicle, we had to have the vehicle smogged before it can be

registered
> =B7 under our name. The car passed the smog inspection with

flying colors.
> =B7 Now, the car's annual tag renewal is coming up in

September, and --
> =B7 guess what? -- this is the year which the vehicle is due for

its
> =B7 biannual smog inspection.
> =B7
> =B7 QUESTION: Do I still have to get the vehicle smogged again or

can I
> =B7 just show the California DMV my receipt and report of the smog
> =B7 inspection that was done only 2 months ago to acquire the

vehicle? I
> =B7 highly doubt that the vehicle, within a matter of two months,

will fail
> =B7 the smog check after only been driven for 3000 miles since it

was
> =B7 smogged (to get the vehicle registered under our name). The

price of
> =B7 the smog check doesn't bother me too much, but the hassle of

having to
> =B7 take the car down again to have it smogged does bother me.
> =B7
> =B7 Thanks in advance to anyone who has an answer to this

question.
> =B7
> =B7 -Alan
> =B7
>
> According to the CA DMV the smog check you got two months ago was

supposed to have
> been obtained by the _seller_.
>
> On the other hand, the Vehicle Inspection Report (the

"Congratulations!" paper you
> get as a result of the smog check) is valid for 60 days. If it has

been less than 60
> days since you got the VIR, and if you have the renewal form already,

why not sail it
> to Sacramento today? If it's too late, well, then that's a cost

incurred by excusing

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/