Battery warning light!!

Old January 5th 07, 03:22 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
thedaddy432 via CarKB.com

Default Battery warning light!!

Well a new year and a new problem,
Just the other day noticed the battery warning light still lit up while
driving, i know this proberly means that the alternator is faulty, but hope
it's something as simple as a loose wire,
Just woundering how expensive this is likely to be? how easy/hard is it to do
myself? and where can i find a recon alternator at a good price.
I live in Cardiff and i drive aa 156 1.8ts 1999.

Please Help.

Thabks
Simon.

P.s i threw that engine mod in the bin.

Old January 5th 07, 05:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
James Ewen

"thedaddy432 via CarKB.com" <u12132@uwe> wrote in message
> Well a new year and a new problem,
> Just the other day noticed the battery warning light still lit up while
> driving, i know this proberly means that the alternator is faulty, but
> hope
> it's something as simple as a loose wire,
> Just woundering how expensive this is likely to be? how easy/hard is it to
> do
> myself? and where can i find a recon alternator at a good price.
> I live in Cardiff and i drive aa 156 1.8ts 1999.

First you need to verify that the alternator is indeed, a duffer.
Get yourself a multimeter and measure the voltage across the battery
terminals with the engine off. Then start it up, measure the voltage across
the terminals again. With a good charge in the battery, and engine off, it
should read 11.xxxx - 12.xxxx. When the engine is running the voltage will
be higher IF the alternator is working, usually around 14v or so. Should
the indications be that the alternator is working, it could be that the
battery is no longer accepting a charge, in which case changing the battery
will solve the problem. Given the age of the vehicle, I'd guess you're
going to find a duff battery.

Rgds

Stuart

Old January 5th 07, 06:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
thedaddy432 via CarKB.com

James Ewen wrote:
>> Well a new year and a new problem,
>> Just the other day noticed the battery warning light still lit up while

>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>> myself? and where can i find a recon alternator at a good price.
>> I live in Cardiff and i drive aa 156 1.8ts 1999.

>First you need to verify that the alternator is indeed, a duffer.
>Get yourself a multimeter and measure the voltage across the battery
>terminals with the engine off. Then start it up, measure the voltage across
>the terminals again. With a good charge in the battery, and engine off, it
>should read 11.xxxx - 12.xxxx. When the engine is running the voltage will
>be higher IF the alternator is working, usually around 14v or so. Should
>the indications be that the alternator is working, it could be that the
>battery is no longer accepting a charge, in which case changing the battery
>will solve the problem. Given the age of the vehicle, I'd guess you're
>going to find a duff battery.
>
>Rgds
>
>Stuart

checked the battery and it is reading 10.5 when engine running.
looks like a newish battery,

Old January 5th 07, 11:04 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

thedaddy432 via CarKB.com wrote:
> James Ewen wrote:
>>> Well a new year and a new problem,
>>> Just the other day noticed the battery warning light still lit up while

>> [quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>> myself? and where can i find a recon alternator at a good price.
>>> I live in Cardiff and i drive aa 156 1.8ts 1999.

>> First you need to verify that the alternator is indeed, a duffer.
>> Get yourself a multimeter and measure the voltage across the battery
>> terminals with the engine off. Then start it up, measure the voltage across
>> the terminals again. With a good charge in the battery, and engine off, it
>> should read 11.xxxx - 12.xxxx. When the engine is running the voltage will
>> be higher IF the alternator is working, usually around 14v or so. Should
>> the indications be that the alternator is working, it could be that the
>> battery is no longer accepting a charge, in which case changing the battery
>> will solve the problem. Given the age of the vehicle, I'd guess you're
>> going to find a duff battery.
>>
>> Rgds
>>
>> Stuart

> checked the battery and it is reading 10.5 when engine running.
> looks like a newish battery,

Not good. What does it read with the engine off?

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old January 7th 07, 12:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
John Chapman

>> checked the battery and it is reading 10.5 when engine running.
>> looks like a newish battery,
>>

> Not good. What does it read with the engine off?

My 146 was also new in 1999.
Last summer the battery would not hold a charge whilst the car was parked
during 2 weeks holiday in Alfaland. So to avoid any problems this winter
I got a new
battery. I reckon that seven years on one battery is good value.

The instructions on my very old Gunsons Sparktune indicate:

Battery condition with no load should be 12.6 volts
Less than 11.6 volts indicates low state of charge or faulty battery.
Battery condition: During cranking voltage should fall by 2-4 volts.
Alternator test: with engine at 2500rpm charging voltage at battery
should be
between 13.6 and 14.6volts.
Run engine at 2500 with lights and other accessories on. Volts should be
above 12.6.
Voltage below 12.6 indicates alternator failure.

Hope this helps
John Chapman