WingMan Formula Force Settings, Old Red ONe

Old March 31st 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default WingMan Formula Force Settings, Old Red ONe

Try setting FF to 'off' in an ISI game and see if the framerates improve.
It's only Win2K/XP that suffers a big framerate hit - Win98/ME don't have
the problem.

Old March 31st 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

test wrote in :

> Hey Darryl, anyway you can email the disassembly instructions.
> Thanks,

It's ... uh ... about 50 pages worth. I'd have to scan it all in,
so all you'd get would be jpegs of the various pages. They'd be
huge files (legible version) or smaller files but illegible.

But why do all that when you can get the stuff "from the horse's
mouth". Jens Shumi pages have moved, but they're still up.

http://jensschumi.drition.net/LogiCorner.htm

HTH,
--
Darryl
Old March 31st 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Steve Simpson wrote in :

> Try setting FF to 'off' in an ISI game and see if the framerates
> improve. It's only Win2K/XP that suffers a big framerate hit -
> Win98/ME don't have the problem.

Duh! Why didn't I think of that? <grin>

I'll try to remember to give it a try next time I've got rFactor
fired up.

--
Darryl
Old March 31st 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Darryl Johnson wrote in news:lGaXf.2933$m35.231619
@news20.bellglobal.com:

> Steve Simpson wrote in :
>
>> Try setting FF to 'off' in an ISI game and see if the framerates
>> improve. It's only Win2K/XP that suffers a big framerate hit -
>> Win98/ME don't have the problem.
>>

> Duh! Why didn't I think of that? <grin>
>
> I'll try to remember to give it a try next time I've got rFactor
> fired up.

Bad form, I know, replying to one's own post, but I have done a
quick test.

Papyrus NASCAR Racing 2003
Sitting in pits 100fps FF ON 110fps FF OFF
Driving 143fps 141fps

[Odd that, big difference to fps while in pits, no significant
difference while driving, at least on this one track at the same
point for both tests]

ISI rFactor 1.070
Sitting in pits 99-102fps FF ON 100fps FF OFF
Driving 64-65fps 95-106fps

[Pretty *big* difference in fps while driving!]

Summary.

OK, a *very* cursory test, and not one that would stand up to any
rigorous examination. The rFactor test involved one car (rF3) at
one track (The Mother), although I did at least use the same spot
on the track to measure the fps while driving -- halfway between
pit exit and T1.

Both the games were used in "testing" mode, offline and with only
one car on the track. Online lag might make an even bigger (or
smaller) difference to the fps with FF turned on, and the addition
of other cars -- generally an fps hit -- might also increae or
decrease the fps differences. I'll let someone else with more free
time work on that aspect.

I have to say that I *like* FF; it not only adds to the sense of
being there, but I find it improves my feel for the handling of the
car as well. I can no longer recall the original premise: was it
that all wheels suffer a drop in fps in ISI games, or was it that
the old Logi wheels suffer and newer wheels do not?

In any case, I'll stick with using FF in rFactor, even with my
antique wheel. <grin> Anything better than 50fps is smooth enough
for my driving skills anyway.

All the best,
--
Darryl

Old April 1st 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"test" > wrote in message
>I dug out my old Red Logitech Wingman Formula Force and trying to find some
>settings that will work with it for rFactor, can't seem to get any
>centering spring, and the forces are a little week. I use to love this
>great and still the smoothest wheel I have ever had.

I'm still running my old red LWFF. Were I to purchase a new wheel to
replace it, what's the most comparable out there now?

Old April 4th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> I have to say that I *like* FF; it not only adds to the sense of
> being there, but I find it improves my feel for the handling of the
> car as well. I can no longer recall the original premise: was it
> that all wheels suffer a drop in fps in ISI games, or was it that
> the old Logi wheels suffer and newer wheels do not?

Yeah, the red LWFF is the only wheel affected. Newer Logitech wheels are
fine.

It's just a combination of...

LWFF
+
ISI Game
+
Win2K/XP
+
FF
= bad framerates

Replace any one of the above and the problem disappears.