Check Engine Light With E85

Old January 2nd 08, 09:37 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Neil[_2_]

Default Check Engine Light With E85

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "Neil" > wrote in message
> et...
>>
>> > "Neil" > wrote in message
>> > t...

> tank

> Today

> such

> my

> and

> full,

> http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/10...d-to-gasoline/

> my

> putting

> that
>> >>

>> "Refinish King" > wrote in message
>> > The engine wasn't used to it?
>> >
>> > Sounds like a Ford problem, but mechanical things don't get used to
>> > things.
>> >
>> > LOL
>> >
>> > Newer vehicles have a sensor that actually determines the ethanol

> content.
>> > But, the few tanks of E-85 usually cleans off the sensor.
>> >
>> > RK

>> So you're saying that the sensor isn't working right until the first few
>> tankfuls? And then, once it gets cleaned off, it works properly?
>>
>> I wonder about my situation where the light went on when I was using 50%
>> E85, then turned itself off after a couple of days, and then went back on
>> right after I increased the E85 in the tank to 85%.
>>

> Find a place that will tell you what the stored fault code is!!

I'm not worried about it, after reading that article. I was just replying to
Refinish King and asking for clarity about what he was saying. Thanks,
though.

Old January 2nd 08, 09:38 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Neil" > wrote in message
. net...

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Neil" > wrote in message
> > et...

on

> > tank

> > Today

today

> > such

(The

be
> > my

month,
> > and

yet

> > full,

miles

again.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/10...d-to-gasoline/

that

no

she

on
> > my

> > putting

that,

> > that

introducing

> >> "Refinish King" > wrote in message

> > content.

> >> So you're saying that the sensor isn't working right until the first

few
> >> tankfuls? And then, once it gets cleaned off, it works properly?
> >>
> >> I wonder about my situation where the light went on when I was using

50%
> >> E85, then turned itself off after a couple of days, and then went back

on
> >> right after I increased the E85 in the tank to 85%.
> >>

> > Find a place that will tell you what the stored fault code is!!
> >

> I'm not worried about it, after reading that article. I was just replying

> Refinish King and asking for clarity about what he was saying. Thanks,
> though.

But just because you read an article does not mean it pertains to your
vehicle until you find out what the fault code is.

Old January 2nd 08, 10:52 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Neil[_2_]

> But just because you read an article does not mean it pertains to your
> vehicle until you find out what the fault code is.

That's true, and good point. I guess it was the article, combined with the
fact that the light went off by itself (and then only went on again when I
increased the concentration of E85) that makes me feel comfortable about it.
But, I need to get my state inspection this month, and am hoping the light
goes off before that. So, whether the light goes off or stays on, I'll have
to bring it in and I'll get the code read. Or would I need to bring it to
the dealer to get the code read?

Old January 2nd 08, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge

>> Find a place that will tell you what the stored fault code is!!

Said maxpower.

>I'm not worried about it, after reading that article. I was just replying to
>Refinish King and asking for clarity about what he was saying. Thanks,
>though.

Said the same thing said me a while ago. Just because the lite went
out, doen't mean the fault code isn't there. Instead of relying on
an article and thinking you know, get the fault code read and then
know for sure.

Pete
Old January 3rd 08, 12:03 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Neil" > wrote in message
. net...

> > But just because you read an article does not mean it pertains to your
> > vehicle until you find out what the fault code is.
> >

> That's true, and good point. I guess it was the article, combined with the
> fact that the light went off by itself (and then only went on again when I
> increased the concentration of E85) that makes me feel comfortable about

it.
> But, I need to get my state inspection this month, and am hoping the light
> goes off before that. So, whether the light goes off or stays on, I'll

have
> to bring it in and I'll get the code read. Or would I need to bring it to
> the dealer to get the code read?

If there is a fault code , it may have disabled an IM monitor. The vehicle
will not pass if all monitors have not been run. That's why I say to have
the fault code checked and make sure the problem is fixed. Some monitors
could take days to run and pass

Old January 3rd 08, 04:08 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Refinish King[_2_]

Ethanol has more water than anything else:

There's always garbage on the bottom of the tank, so increasing the alcohol
content, tends to loosen up the water soluble; i.e.: Rust, sand, metal
filings that haven't stratified to the bottom of the tank yet.

So, usually the sensor will clean it self, with the fuel flow. But, on the
other hand. Sometimes the garbage solidifies on the sensor, or renders it's
ability to measure the conductance of either fuel in the mix, and can be
removed and with a little luck, cleaned off.

Otherwise, you'll need a new one. I helped a friend at a dealer diagnose
one, and the sensor was about $87.00 plus tax.

I hope this helps.

RK

PS
I think in your case, the sensor might be covered under the federal
emissions warranty, which I believe is 7/70 or 8/80.
et...

Old January 3rd 08, 04:11 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Refinish King[_2_]

I would have to agree.

What fails on one vehicle, isn't necessarily the same failure on another.

RK
. ..

Old March 29th 19, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
MAlvarez

replying to Neil, MAlvarez wrote:
I had read from the Chevrolet website about the horsepower gains by using E85.
So I started filling up with E85 a few times. Check engine light turned on
last time I filled up. Took it to get checked out and it gave me the code
PO50D, cold start rough idle, .. ran the tank down to empty and filled up with
Regular 87 unleaded.. after a quarter tank the check engine light turned off..
my vehicle is flex fuel, I don’t understand why it does this. 2014 Chevrolet
Silverado 5.3 4x4 LT

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/dodge/ch...e85-10412-.htm

Old March 30th 19, 01:17 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ken Olson[_2_]

On 3/29/2019 6:18 PM, MAlvarez wrote:
> replying to Neil, MAlvarez wrote:
> I had read from the Chevrolet website about the horsepower gains by
> using E85.
> So I started filling up with E85 a few times. Check engine light turned on
> last time I filled up. Took it to get checked out and it gave me the code
> PO50D, cold start rough idle, .. ran the tank down to empty and filled
> up with
> Regular 87 unleaded.. after a quarter tank the check engine light turned
> off..
> my vehicle is flex fuel, I don’t understand why it does this. 2014
> Chevrolet
> Silverado 5.3 4x4 LT

Can you provide the Chevy link you refer to?
Old March 30th 19, 04:47 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

I had a similar issue with my flex fuel 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. I used E85 in the winter and it got difficult to start. I switched back to regular and no further problems. The check engine light did not come on in my case. I decided it usually wasn't worth the lower cost of E85 because I lost about 30% mileage.