HELP!

Old June 27th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default HELP!

My miata went from completely normal operation to no power at all. All
of the electronics appear to be ok.

The O2 sensor wire had come free and burned through the insulation on
the exhaust manifold.

I tried wrapping the wire that was exposed with no results. Putting in a
new O2 sensor also made no difference, the car cranks normally but does
not start.

Any ideas before I either have it hauled to a shop or to my scrapping area?

Thanks!

Pat
Old June 27th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

pws wrote:
> My miata went from completely normal operation to no power at all. All
> of the electronics appear to be ok.
>
> The O2 sensor wire had come free and burned through the insulation on
> the exhaust manifold.
>
> I tried wrapping the wire that was exposed with no results. Putting in a
> new O2 sensor also made no difference, the car cranks normally but does
> not start.
>
> Any ideas before I either have it hauled to a shop or to my scrapping area?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pat

Never mind, the O2 sensor was just one additional problem that hadn't
even tripped the check engine light yet.

That Miata has a snapped timing belt, it was replaced about 2 1/2 years
ago and has less than 40K on it. Ouch!

Pat
Old June 27th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> That Miata has a snapped timing belt, it was replaced about 2 1/2
> years ago and has less than 40K on it. Ouch!

Sorry to hear that, it doesn't sound reasonable for a timing belt to go
so fast, is it possible there's something else wrong that caused the
early failure? About the only thing I can think of is a camshaft not
turning freely or a tensioner not working?????

Old June 27th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> Sorry to hear that, it doesn't sound reasonable for a timing belt to go
> so fast, is it possible there's something else wrong that caused the
> early failure? About the only thing I can think of is a camshaft not
> turning freely or a tensioner not working?????

The engine was operating normally, I will check out the tensioners when
I swap the belt. I guess I can skip the water pump this time.
It is a modified engine with turbo and it gets run hard at times, but I
had hoped to get at least 60K out of the belt.

I am not sure what I was thinking with the O2 sensor, I just saw a
burned wire and thought "aha!".
It would have obviously tripped a CEL and would not have brought the car
to a sudden halt.

I finally realized that the engine was turning over more easily than
normal so I popped the cover off and sure enough, snapped belt.

Pat
Old June 28th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
S K

In previous cars, I have always had the timing belt replaced at 60k mi.
But the manual for my 2000 Miata, here in Calif. says 105k. Is not
bogus???? Will still be awhile either way. Should be nearly a year
before I hit my first 30K.

Old June 28th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

S K wrote:
> In previous cars, I have always had the timing belt replaced at 60k mi.
> But the manual for my 2000 Miata, here in Calif. says 105k. Is not
> bogus????

California law requires the timing belts to have that interval, it is
the exact same belt that they recommend replacing at 60K miles in every
other U.S. state.

I have never seen one fail before 80K miles and I figure that it a good
time to replace the timing belt and the water pump as well, with 60K
being a little early for a water pump replacement.

Part of this "logic" is seeing one miata need a new water pump at 86K
miles when it looked excellent at the time the timing belt was replaced
with 60K miles, plus I am dealing with a dead miata that has 128K miles
on the timing belt, which is intact, but the water pump has failed on
that car.

This timing belt failed at 28,726 miles. Something is definitely wrong,
I'll find out tomorrow if it was a defective belt or something else.

Pat

Old June 28th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

You need to drive that car more man, rigamortis might set in ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old June 28th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Jun 27, 7:47 pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> You need to drive that car more man, rigamortis might set in ;-)
>
> Chris
> 99BBB
>
> "S K" > wrote in message

> > In previous cars, I have always had the timing belt replaced at 60k mi.
> > But the manual for my 2000 Miata, here in Calif. says 105k. Is not
> > bogus???? Will still be awhile either way. Should be nearly a year
> > before I hit my first 30K.

We have three cars, and I split the load between them all. Although I
only drive two of them, my S10 P/U and the Miata. LOL>My Wife can not
drive the stick>>LOL.

I bought the Miata in June of 2000 as a retirement gift to myself.
Then the next month, in July it took a big trip to the Grand Canyon,
through the Mojave Desert, etc. That was a blast. Now it usually gets
fired up once per week, to keep the battery going, or is one of two
out of town cars, to the beach cars. A run down to Pismo Beach no less
than once per year, a 4 1/2 hr. drive. If I give up driving at 80,
like my Dad did, maybe I'll never get to the point of it needing a new
timing belt/water pump.(58 this Sunday). Will the water pump last
longer, like over 100K mi. if one is excellent about having the
cooling system fully power flushed on a regular basis??

Sorry I might have messed up and this may appear twice.

Old June 28th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> California law requires the timing belts to have that interval,

That's lame; couldn't they just legislate that it never fails?

miker

Old June 28th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Jazz_Azz wrote:

> We have three cars, and I split the load between them all. Although I
> only drive two of them, my S10 P/U and the Miata. LOL>My Wife can not
> drive the stick>>LOL.
>
> I bought the Miata in June of 2000 as a retirement gift to myself.
> Then the next month, in July it took a big trip to the Grand Canyon,
> through the Mojave Desert, etc. That was a blast. Now it usually gets
> fired up once per week, to keep the battery going, or is one of two
> out of town cars, to the beach cars. A run down to Pismo Beach no less
> than once per year, a 4 1/2 hr. drive. If I give up driving at 80,
> like my Dad did, maybe I'll never get to the point of it needing a new
> timing belt/water pump.(58 this Sunday). Will the water pump last
> longer, like over 100K mi. if one is excellent about having the
> cooling system fully power flushed on a regular basis??
>
> Sorry I might have messed up and this may appear twice.

Yeah, just rub it in. ;-)

The miata is a great daily driver for some people, but I am finding that
I need more room much more frequently than before.

The only way that I will be able to keep a miata is if I can afford two
cars. Otherwise I will have to drive something relatively boring for a
while.

As far as the miata water pump, I have seen one fail as early as 86K
miles and one that was still going at 150K miles.
I have seen people here with low-mileage 1990-1997 miatas asking about
the belt and the general feeling seems to be that it should be replaced
at about 10 years or so even if it isn't approaching 60K miles.

If it sits in an environment where it doesn't get very hot or cold when
not in use, I would be a bit less concerned about it, and maybe just let
it go.

As always, YMMV

Pat