Measuring battery voltage using a multimeter?

Old July 2nd 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nino NoSpam

Default Measuring battery voltage using a multimeter?

I have a multimeter that has OHM, ACV, 9V Bat, 1.5V, DCA, and DCV-- I'm not
sure I know what all these mean. Anyway, what setting do I put it on to
measure the voltage of my vehicle's battery?

Thanks

Old July 2nd 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Nino NoSpam" > wrote in message
>I have a multimeter that has OHM, ACV, 9V Bat, 1.5V, DCA, and DCV-- I'm
>not sure I know what all these mean. Anyway, what setting do I put it on
>to measure the voltage of my vehicle's battery?

DCV is for DC Voltage. With car off, should measure approx 12v give or take
a few tenths. With car running, approx 13.8 or so.

Old July 2nd 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Doyle

Nino NoSpam wrote:
> I have a multimeter that has OHM, ACV, 9V Bat, 1.5V, DCA, and DCV-- I'm not
> sure I know what all these mean. Anyway, what setting do I put it on to
> measure the voltage of my vehicle's battery?
>
> Thanks

DCV or DC Voltage.
Old July 2nd 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Seth" > wrote
> "Nino NoSpam" > wrote
>>I have a multimeter that has OHM, ACV, 9V Bat, 1.5V, DCA,
>>and DCV-- I'm not sure I know what all these mean.
>>Anyway, what setting do I put it on to measure the voltage
>>of my vehicle's battery?

> DCV is for DC Voltage. With car off, should measure
> approx 12v give or take a few tenths. With car running,
> approx 13.8 or so.

Well done. See also the five checks of voltage listed about
one-third of the way down at
http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id13.html .

Old July 2nd 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nino NoSpam

Thanks, but now next to DCV there are the following numbers: 10, 250 and
500. Do I set it at 10?

Old July 2nd 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

> "Seth" > wrote in message
>> "Nino NoSpam" > wrote in message
>>>I have a multimeter that has OHM, ACV, 9V Bat, 1.5V, DCA, and DCV-- I'm
>>>not sure I know what all these mean. Anyway, what setting do I put it on
>>>to measure the voltage of my vehicle's battery?

>> DCV is for DC Voltage. With car off, should measure approx 12v give or
>> take a few tenths. With car running, approx 13.8 or so.
>>

> Thanks, but now next to DCV there are the following numbers: 10, 250 and
> 500. Do I set it at 10?

Set for the scale ABOVE what you are looking for. In the case of your
meter, set it for 250.

Old July 2nd 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nino NoSpam

Thanks so much Seth. I followed your instructions and I can see that my
vehicle battery is at 10 MA. Which seems correct.

Old July 3rd 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

> Thanks so much Seth. I followed your instructions and I can see that my
> vehicle battery is at 10 MA. Which seems correct.

No, I think you read it wrong. There is no "MA" when reading "VOLTAGE".
With the meter set to DCV/250, you should have a reading of around 12V with
the engine off and about 14V with the engine running.

Old July 3rd 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nino NoSpam

Oh, okay then, which scale do I use? There a dB, AV10V, V-mA, and then
somw weird symbols. Yikes!

Nino

Old July 3rd 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

Nino NoSpam wrote:
> Oh, okay then, which scale do I use? There a dB, AV10V, V-mA, and then
> somw weird symbols. Yikes!

spend about $10 to $20 extra bucks and get an auto-ranging meter. then
you only have to select V, A, Ω, etc.

never test a battery in "A" mode!

Problem With Power Outlet Neil Dodge 5 March 27th 06 07:38 PM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 3 February 4th 06 05:25 AM
300 M Battery Replacement? NewsGroup Chrysler 21 November 16th 05 08:20 AM
L98: starts, but won't keep running. Dave Gee Corvette 15 October 22nd 05 08:43 PM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 3/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 0 February 18th 05 05:33 AM