1996 F-150 Transmission Slips First 5 Minutes

Old February 23rd 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1996 F-150 Transmission Slips First 5 Minutes

Hi. I am hoping someone can offer some help on my problem. I have a 1996
Ford F-150 truck with an automatic transmission. For the first 5 minutes
after cranking my truck, the transmission slips (I guess that is what it is
called). If I pull away from a stop sign, it will rev up some before
"catching" and going. The fluid level seems OK. This only happens when it
is cold outside 30 - 40 degrees. It did it last winter a few times also.
The truck has 185,000 miles on it. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Old February 23rd 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Name wrote:

> Hi. I am hoping someone can offer some help on my problem. I have a 1996
> Ford F-150 truck with an automatic transmission. For the first 5 minutes
> after cranking my truck, the transmission slips (I guess that is what it is
> called). If I pull away from a stop sign, it will rev up some before
> "catching" and going. The fluid level seems OK. This only happens when it
> is cold outside 30 - 40 degrees. It did it last winter a few times also.
> The truck has 185,000 miles on it. Any ideas?
>
> Thank you.

Firt thing to check in that sort of situation is fluid level. If that's
fine, when was the last time the fluid and filter was changed? If its
been more than 50,000 miles, do it.

That said, sluggishness when cold can be a symptom of aging/shrinking
seals inside an automatic. Probably just a plugged filter, but it could
be more.

Old February 23rd 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Name" > wrote in message
> Hi. I am hoping someone can offer some help on my problem. I have a 1996
> Ford F-150 truck with an automatic transmission. For the first 5 minutes
> after cranking my truck, the transmission slips (I guess that is what it

is
> called). If I pull away from a stop sign, it will rev up some before
> "catching" and going. The fluid level seems OK. This only happens when

it
> is cold outside 30 - 40 degrees. It did it last winter a few times also.
> The truck has 185,000 miles on it. Any ideas?

Slipping when it is cold often means that the line pressure is lower than
it should be and that can be a result of fluid which is too viscous or has
not been changed recently, plugged filter, dirty valve body parts,
deteriorated
rings or seals, and a worn pump.

When I took some transmission classes years ago, the instructor said always
suspect the front pump when this sort of behavior was noticed. But, as
Steve
posted, other things can affect it too.

Have you serviced it recently? A service and adjust (if it is one that has
adjustable bands) might be money well spent.

Old February 24th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Name wrote:
>
> > Hi. I am hoping someone can offer some help on my problem. I have a

1996
> > Ford F-150 truck with an automatic transmission. For the first 5

minutes
> > after cranking my truck, the transmission slips (I guess that is what it

is
> > called). If I pull away from a stop sign, it will rev up some before
> > "catching" and going. The fluid level seems OK. This only happens when

it
> > is cold outside 30 - 40 degrees. It did it last winter a few times

also.
> > The truck has 185,000 miles on it. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> Firt thing to check in that sort of situation is fluid level. If that's
> fine, when was the last time the fluid and filter was changed? If its
> been more than 50,000 miles, do it.

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I don't know how long it has been since the
fluid anf filter was changed. I think I have put about 10 - 15,000 miles on
it since I got it. I have the filter, just haven't got around to trying it
yet. I am glad to NOT hear that a filter change wouldn't help it, and that
it is shot.

> That said, sluggishness when cold can be a symptom of aging/shrinking
> seals inside an automatic. Probably just a plugged filter, but it could
> be more.

Is it just the fluid being cold that does it?

Thanks.

Old February 24th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
t...

> "Name" > wrote in message
> > Hi. I am hoping someone can offer some help on my problem. I have a

1996
> > Ford F-150 truck with an automatic transmission. For the first 5

minutes
> > after cranking my truck, the transmission slips (I guess that is what it

> is
> > called). If I pull away from a stop sign, it will rev up some before
> > "catching" and going. The fluid level seems OK. This only happens when

> it
> > is cold outside 30 - 40 degrees. It did it last winter a few times

also.
> > The truck has 185,000 miles on it. Any ideas?

> Slipping when it is cold often means that the line pressure is lower than
> it should be and that can be a result of fluid which is too viscous or has
> not been changed recently, plugged filter, dirty valve body parts,
> deteriorated
> rings or seals, and a worn pump.
>
> When I took some transmission classes years ago, the instructor said

always
> suspect the front pump when this sort of behavior was noticed. But, as
> Steve
> posted, other things can affect it too.
>
> Have you serviced it recently? A service and adjust (if it is one that

has
> adjustable bands) might be money well spent.

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I will try to change the oil and filter,
then see how it goes. I am hoping it is just old gunky oil causing the
problem, but I wanted to ask some people who know a lot about them.

Thank you.

Old February 24th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Name wrote:

> "Steve" > wrote in message

>>That said, sluggishness when cold can be a symptom of aging/shrinking
>>seals inside an automatic. Probably just a plugged filter, but it could
>>be more.

> Is it just the fluid being cold that does it?
>
> Thanks.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the lip seals on the clutch
pistons get hard and stiff when cold and won't seal against their
cylinders as well.

Old February 25th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Name wrote:
>
> > "Steve" > wrote in message

> >>That said, sluggishness when cold can be a symptom of aging/shrinking
> >>seals inside an automatic. Probably just a plugged filter, but it could
> >>be more.

> > Is it just the fluid being cold that does it?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> I think it has more to do with the fact that the lip seals on the clutch
> pistons get hard and stiff when cold and won't seal against their
> cylinders as well.

Hi. Thanks again for the information. I appreciate it.