2007 GT models with hood scoops and Solara opinions.

Old November 11th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 2007 GT models with hood scoops and Solara opinions.

I drove by a dealer this week and saw a few 2007 model GTs with nice
hood scoops. The Ford web site shows 2007 GTs with plain hoods. Does
anyone know if this is an option or is there some sort of new model
that offers this? To me, the fake hood scoops makes a big difference
(for some reason). The only pic I found on the web was California
Special edition that had this. Is this the model I'm seeing on the
lots?
As a separate question, I tested a new Solara SLE convertible today as
a possible replacement for my 2000 GT 'vert. The ride was a bit too
smooth and I felt like a total homo driving it. Anyone has any
experience with Solaras? Same price as new GT with more leg room but
like I said, homo looking IMHO.

Thanks
Ron

Old November 11th 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher

On 10 Nov 2006 18:12:47 -0800, wrote:

>I drove by a dealer this week and saw a few 2007 model GTs with nice
>hood scoops. The Ford web site shows 2007 GTs with plain hoods. Does
>anyone know if this is an option or is there some sort of new model
>that offers this? To me, the fake hood scoops makes a big difference
>(for some reason). The only pic I found on the web was California
>Special edition that had this. Is this the model I'm seeing on the
>lots?
>As a separate question, I tested a new Solara SLE convertible today as
>a possible replacement for my 2000 GT 'vert. The ride was a bit too
>smooth and I felt like a total homo driving it. Anyone has any
>experience with Solaras? Same price as new GT with more leg room but
>like I said, homo looking IMHO.
>
>Thanks
>Ron

Hmm, a coincidence. I drove over to the ford dealer today to buy a new
outside lock to replace the one some would be thief had messed up on
my 99 GT. As I was leaving I saw quite a few new stangs and about
half had a hood scope. Not sure if they are the same scoops you saw
but my take on them was that they were ugly. They were too narrow and
were just out of proportion to the hood. Some didn't even look like
they were the same color as the car but that might have just been from
sunlight reflection. The last time I noticed any scoops on any recent
mustangs I didn't think they looked so narrow so maybe there are more
then one style.
Old November 11th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

wrote:
> I drove by a dealer this week and saw a few 2007 model GTs with nice
> hood scoops. The Ford web site shows 2007 GTs with plain hoods. Does
> anyone know if this is an option or is there some sort of new model
> that offers this? To me, the fake hood scoops makes a big difference
> (for some reason). The only pic I found on the web was California
> Special edition that had this. Is this the model I'm seeing on the
> lots?
> As a separate question, I tested a new Solara SLE convertible today as
> a possible replacement for my 2000 GT 'vert. The ride was a bit too
> smooth and I felt like a total homo driving it. Anyone has any
> experience with Solaras? Same price as new GT with more leg room but
> like I said, homo looking IMHO.
>
> Thanks
> Ron

A few dealers in this area are adding the scoops on their
own. I've seen them with a '69 GT/MI style scoop, and I like it.
The stock hood is just too big and flat. To me, it looks just
too empty. The old style scoop goes good with the factory retro
styling.

I've also seen them with a flat black hood, like a '69, and I
like that too.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old November 11th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nicholas Anthony

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I drove by a dealer this week and saw a few 2007 model GTs with nice
> hood scoops. The Ford web site shows 2007 GTs with plain hoods. Does
> anyone know if this is an option or is there some sort of new model
> that offers this? To me, the fake hood scoops makes a big difference
> (for some reason). The only pic I found on the web was California
> Special edition that had this. Is this the model I'm seeing on the
> lots?
> As a separate question, I tested a new Solara SLE convertible today as
> a possible replacement for my 2000 GT 'vert. The ride was a bit too
> smooth and I felt like a total homo driving it. Anyone has any
> experience with Solaras? Same price as new GT with more leg room but
> like I said, homo looking IMHO.
>
> Thanks
> Ron

Yes it is new for 2007 on all GT's.

Nick

Old November 11th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Just to clarify: The hood scoop is *not* on all 2007 GTs (thank god).
It's available only when you order the GT California Special Package
(which is butt-ugly) or the GT Appearance Package. I'm planning to buy
an '07 GT and had to revert to buying a Mustang brochure on eBay
because none of my local dealerships have any. The brochure clarifies
the hood scoop issue.

John E.

Old November 11th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Whoops, I made a mistake in the previous post. The ugly scoop is just
part of the GT Appearance Package. It just happens to be shown in all
the GT California Special Package pictures. Now if I could only make
sense of the various interior packages... I've studied the brochure for
a couple of hours. When is Ford (and the other domestics) going to
learn how to offer simple, straightforward packages?

John E.

Old November 12th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
news[_4_]

ups.com...

Old November 12th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"news" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Whoops, I made a mistake in the previous post. The ugly scoop is just
>> part of the GT Appearance Package. It just happens to be shown in all
>> the GT California Special Package pictures. Now if I could only make
>> sense of the various interior packages... I've studied the brochure for
>> a couple of hours. When is Ford (and the other domestics) going to
>> learn how to offer simple, straightforward packages?
>>
>> John E.
>> that is correct but lets be real; the scoop is not functional so why
>> would you want it?

CAN YOU SAY RICE?

Old November 13th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Nov 11, 8:02 am, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On 10 Nov 2006 18:12:47 -0800, wrote:
>
> >I drove by a dealer this week and saw a few 2007 model GTs with nice
> >hood scoops. The Ford web site shows 2007 GTs with plain hoods. Does
> >anyone know if this is an option or is there some sort of new model
> >that offers this? To me, the fake hood scoops makes a big difference
> >(for some reason). The only pic I found on the web was California
> >Special edition that had this. Is this the model I'm seeing on the
> >lots?
> >As a separate question, I tested a new Solara SLE convertible today as
> >a possible replacement for my 2000 GT 'vert. The ride was a bit too
> >smooth and I felt like a total homo driving it. Anyone has any
> >experience with Solaras? Same price as new GT with more leg room but
> >like I said, homo looking IMHO.

> >Thanks
> >RonHmm, a coincidence. I drove over to the ford dealer today to buy a new

> outside lock to replace the one some would be thief had messed up on
> my 99 GT. As I was leaving I saw quite a few new stangs and about
> half had a hood scope. Not sure if they are the same scoops you saw
> but my take on them was that they were ugly. They were too narrow and
> were just out of proportion to the hood. Some didn't even look like
> they were the same color as the car but that might have just been from
> sunlight reflection. The last time I noticed any scoops on any recent
> mustangs I didn't think they looked so narrow so maybe there are more
> then one style.

Couldn't agree more on the new hood scoops being way to small and
narrow! I put a Boss 429 replica hood scoop on my 2005... and IMHO
looks pretty darn good... however it is non-functional... but I don't
feel it's ricey at all.. I think it goes with the retro styling of the
S197.... However that being said... I hit a deer last week and I'll be
replacing the hood with an aftermarket hood.. Going with the MRT Cherry
6T6 hood...

Old November 13th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Grover C. McCoury III

Is this a functional hood scoop or merely a drag enhancement device?

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 featuring a
Shaker hood scoop @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

ups.com...