Strong Vapour Pressure in Gas Tank?

Old June 3rd 05, 01:58 AM
Geoff Glave

Default Strong Vapour Pressure in Gas Tank?

Hey Everyone,

I've got an '89 VW Cabriolet. Over the past few months, when it's been warm
and I've been driving for a while there's been a strong scent of gas back by
the tank. Of course it's never reproducible at the mechanic.

Also of late, when I take the gas cap off there has been a strong whoosh as
vapours exhaust from the tank, almost as if the tank is over-pressured.
(This never happens in my Nissan pickup).

Today, I filled the tank after driving for about an hour in rush hour
stop-and-go traffic. The tank was still two-thirds full and the WHOOSH and
resultant venting was so strong when I removed the gas cap that fuel
literally sprayed out of filler neck/opening and down the side of the car
(and all over my pants!). Probably a good half-liter or so of fuel.

Seems to me like there's a strong vapour-pressure building up in the tank.
Might also explain the scent of fuel when it's warm.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this and what I should be doing to
correct it?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old June 3rd 05, 02:06 AM
Geoff Glave

PS I'll also add that I certainly don't live in Death Valley. Today the
outside temperature on the drive home was probably 15C / 60F -ish.

GG

Old June 3rd 05, 02:36 AM
Woodchuck

I would start by having you mechanic check the purge system to make sure
it's working.

Old June 3rd 05, 03:11 AM
Mystic

Woodchuck wrote:
> I would start by having you mechanic check the purge system to make sure
> it's working.
>

> "Geoff Glave" > wrote in message
>
>>Hey Everyone,
>>
>>I've got an '89 VW Cabriolet. Over the past few months, when it's been
>>warm
>>and I've been driving for a while there's been a strong scent of gas back
>>by
>>the tank. Of course it's never reproducible at the mechanic.
>>
>>Also of late, when I take the gas cap off there has been a strong whoosh
>>as
>>vapours exhaust from the tank, almost as if the tank is over-pressured.
>>(This never happens in my Nissan pickup).
>>
>>Today, I filled the tank after driving for about an hour in rush hour
>>stop-and-go traffic. The tank was still two-thirds full and the WHOOSH
>>and
>>resultant venting was so strong when I removed the gas cap that fuel
>>literally sprayed out of filler neck/opening and down the side of the car
>>(and all over my pants!). Probably a good half-liter or so of fuel.
>>
>>Seems to me like there's a strong vapour-pressure building up in the tank.
>>Might also explain the scent of fuel when it's warm.
>>
>>Any thoughts as to what could be causing this and what I should be doing
>>correct it?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Geoff Glave
>>Vancouver, Canada

Most vehicles now have hoses that suck the excess fumes back to the
engine to be burned....maybe the hose is blocked. Just a thought.

Old June 3rd 05, 05:00 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Geoff Glave wrote:

> I've got an '89 VW Cabriolet. Over the past few months, when it's been
> warm and I've been driving for a while there's been a strong scent of
> gas back by the tank. Of course it's never reproducible at the
> mechanic. Also of late, when I take the gas cap off there has been a
> strong whoosh as vapours exhaust from the tank, almost as if the tank is
> over-pressured. (This never happens in my Nissan pickup).

Definitely a problem with your evaporative emission control system (fuel
tank, tank cap, charcoal canister, canister inlet filter and
canister purge valve, plus all associated hoses, lines and control
electronics if applicable). Have it corrected as soon as you can.