Honda Odyssey: 1 second noise at 5 mph when started (started engine as well).

Old July 14th 04, 03:29 AM
varkiliy_jar

Default Honda Odyssey: 1 second noise at 5 mph when started (started engine as well).

Hi.
I'm not a mechanic and havent done anything more complicated than oil
change, but need to understand this:
Two kinds of noises:

First:
1) metallic trembling noise (guaranteed!) moving from parking spot at
about 5-10 mph, going backward or forward , going straight ,noise -
for less than a second ;
this happens in the morning (car was left overnight), in the evening
when moving from work parking; any other time I come to complete stop
with gear in parking and engine stopped; noise is there, if going
downhill in neutral (my parking spont is nex to the hill) with engine
running or not running (here, after engine was running for a while
and brakes work easy, couldns say the same about steering wheel);

Second:
2) another kind of noise, but much quiter noise at 50-60 mph
(constant) as soon as I stop accelerating and RPM drops to 1600-1900
from 2500; in this case noise is only heard when slightly
pressing gas pedal (accelerating or maintaining speed going uphill),
but RPM doesnt change; going to higher RPM gets rid of the noise (like
if I have to pass noise speed range 50-60 mph,
accelerating more intense - at 2500 rpm for instance - no such
noise);

Other info:
3) no infuence on noise when turning;
4) when pressing brakes hard - steering wheel is trembling, so looks
like worn rotors;
5) left front tire worn much more than others;
6) Honda Service says it's not transmission (since I have extended
warranty on transmission, I asked them to check it specifically) after
15- 20 mins road test;

Thanks for your feedback.
vj
Old July 14th 04, 02:32 PM
Woody

You might want to visit www.odyclub.com for lots of Odyssey problems...

om...

Old July 14th 04, 03:17 PM
E. Meyer

On 7/13/04 9:29 PM, in article
, "varkiliy_jar"
> wrote:

> Hi.
> I'm not a mechanic and havent done anything more complicated than oil
> change, but need to understand this:
> Two kinds of noises:
>
> First:
> 1) metallic trembling noise (guaranteed!) moving from parking spot at
> about 5-10 mph, going backward or forward , going straight ,noise -
> for less than a second ;
> this happens in the morning (car was left overnight), in the evening
> when moving from work parking; any other time I come to complete stop
> with gear in parking and engine stopped; noise is there, if going
> downhill in neutral (my parking spont is nex to the hill) with engine
> running or not running (here, after engine was running for a while
> and brakes work easy, couldns say the same about steering wheel);

I'm not sure I understand everything you said here, but from your
description, it could be the ABS pump charging up the system which is
normal.

> Second:
> 2) another kind of noise, but much quiter noise at 50-60 mph
> (constant) as soon as I stop accelerating and RPM drops to 1600-1900
> from 2500; in this case noise is only heard when slightly
> pressing gas pedal (accelerating or maintaining speed going uphill),
> but RPM doesnt change; going to higher RPM gets rid of the noise (like
> if I have to pass noise speed range 50-60 mph,
> accelerating more intense - at 2500 rpm for instance - no such
> noise);

Could be anything. Some suggestions:

- Check the heat shields around the exhaust pipe for looseness or damage. A
noise at a specific RPM can sometimes be a heat shield vibrating.

- Worn brakes. If the noise sounds like metal gently scraping, it might be
the wear bar on one of more of your brakes scraping the rotor.

- Belts. The ribbed accessory belts can make a metallic sounding noise when
they get old and stiff. It sounds similar to a bad timing chain. The little
ribs on the inside of the belt develop little cracks and they start making a
"zing" sort of noise as the cracks move through the ribs on the pulleys.
This noise tends to come and go at different RPMs. If your belts are old
and you see cracking on the inside ribs, try new belts, they are ready to be
changed anyway if they are starting to crack.

> Other info:
> 3) no infuence on noise when turning;
> 4) when pressing brakes hard - steering wheel is trembling, so looks
> like worn rotors;
> 5) left front tire worn much more than others;

Have the alignment checked and the suspension checked for wear. Look
especially for a sagging spring or worn ball joint at that wheel. I had a
similar experience on my Acura TL that was caused by a failing upper ball
joint, which in turn was caused by a weak spring (that corner of the car was
an inch lower than the other side). The symptom was as you describe here -
brakes chattering when stopping from highway speed with shaking in the
wheel. After stopping from highway speed, get out and feel the wheels. If
that one is significantly warmer to the touch than the others, you probably
have a failing suspension part or sticking brake caliper at that wheel.

Old July 14th 04, 07:44 PM
bearman

"varkiliy_jar" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi.
> I'm not a mechanic and havent done anything more complicated than oil
> change, but need to understand this:
> Two kinds of noises:
>
> First:
> 1) metallic trembling noise (guaranteed!) moving from parking spot at
> about 5-10 mph, going backward or forward , going straight ,noise -
> for less than a second ;
> this happens in the morning (car was left overnight), in the evening
> when moving from work parking; any other time I come to complete stop
> with gear in parking and engine stopped; noise is there, if going
> downhill in neutral (my parking spont is nex to the hill) with engine
> running or not running (here, after engine was running for a while
> and brakes work easy, couldns say the same about steering wheel);
>
> Second:
> 2) another kind of noise, but much quiter noise at 50-60 mph
> (constant) as soon as I stop accelerating and RPM drops to 1600-1900
> from 2500; in this case noise is only heard when slightly
> pressing gas pedal (accelerating or maintaining speed going uphill),
> but RPM doesnt change; going to higher RPM gets rid of the noise (like
> if I have to pass noise speed range 50-60 mph,
> accelerating more intense - at 2500 rpm for instance - no such
> noise);
>
> Other info:
> 3) no infuence on noise when turning;
> 4) when pressing brakes hard - steering wheel is trembling, so looks
> like worn rotors;
> 5) left front tire worn much more than others;
> 6) Honda Service says it's not transmission (since I have extended
> warranty on transmission, I asked them to check it specifically) after
> 15- 20 mins road test;
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
> vj

About the second noise: On our Ody, I get a kind of hum at about 1500-1600
rpm or about 55mph in 4th gear. According to some, it's caused by the
torque converter lockup. Hasn't affected our Ody (yet). In fact, it's not
even a problem.

Bearman

Old July 16th 04, 01:08 AM
JM

Don't have an Odyssey, but wife has MDX...

I haven't figured out WHO TOLD PEOPLE that whines, hums, etc. aren't NORMAL.

Unless it is pretty loud. But there are sure a lot of whiners on this board.

JM
Old July 19th 04, 04:17 AM
varkiliy_jar

(Stephen H. Westin) wrote in message >. ..
> (varkiliy_jar) writes:

Thanks for all your ideas.
I found most of details at
http://www.odyclub.com .

> > First:
> > 1) metallic trembling noise (guaranteed!) moving from parking spot at
> > about 5-10 mph, going backward or forward , going straight ,noise -
> > for less than a second ;

Yes, according to all descriptions, this is ABS self-test/charging,
etc.
The thing I'm curious about, is how to make this noise quiter. Any
ideas if new rotors/drums can help?

Second:
There is some form of resonance happening in the engine compartment
at 48-55mph on 4 and 5 speed Odysseys in top gear when Torque Converes
lockup happens and thats a low pitch noise conducted to cabin through
the shift cable.
Two major findings - one dealer according to odyclub.com, tried to
install a new "dynamic damper" - from Accord to tacke resonance, and
another finding is here :
http://www.hondalac.com/service/Bulletins/x02-048e.pdf

Regards,
vj
Old July 19th 04, 03:48 PM
E. Meyer

On 7/18/04 10:17 PM, in article
, "varkiliy_jar"

http://www.odyclub.com .

>>> First:
>>> 1) metallic trembling noise (guaranteed!) moving from parking spot at
>>> about 5-10 mph, going backward or forward , going straight ,noise -
>>> for less than a second ;

> Yes, according to all descriptions, this is ABS self-test/charging,
> etc.
> The thing I'm curious about, is how to make this noise quiter. Any
> ideas if new rotors/drums can help?

The noise is a pump running. It has nothing to do with rotors & drums.
AFAIK there is nothing you can do to make it quieter, it is normal behavior.

Old July 19th 04, 06:17 PM
Stephen H. Westin

http://www.odyclub.com .

> > > First:
> > > 1) metallic trembling noise (guaranteed!) moving from parking spot at
> > > about 5-10 mph, going backward or forward , going straight ,noise -
> > > for less than a second ;

> Yes, according to all descriptions, this is ABS self-test/charging,
> etc.
> The thing I'm curious about, is how to make this noise quiter.

Earplugs. Are you really that bothered by a slight noise that lasts
for less than a second? Start worrying when you *don't* hear the noise
after you start.

> Any
> ideas if new rotors/drums can help?

I don't think so.

> Second:
> There is some form of resonance happening in the engine compartment
> at 48-55mph on 4 and 5 speed Odysseys in top gear when Torque Converes
> lockup happens and thats a low pitch noise conducted to cabin through
> the shift cable.
> Two major findings - one dealer according to odyclub.com, tried to
> install a new "dynamic damper" - from Accord to tacke resonance, and
> another finding is here :
> http://www.hondalac.com/service/Bulletins/x02-048e.pdf

Wow. Honda actually reprogrammed the engine control computer to avoid
the resonance! But if your vehicle is out of warranty, it would be an
expensive repair.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old July 20th 04, 01:22 AM
SoCalMike

>>http://www.hondalac.com/service/Bulletins/x02-048e.pdf

> Wow. Honda actually reprogrammed the engine control computer to avoid
> the resonance!

amazing, eh? id expect the cure to be judicious application of
"isolating tape"- that felt backed crap dealers wedge between parts when
you complain of a rattle.