ToCA RD3

Old December 19th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
swede

Default ToCA RD3

I just purchased a new video board and received a copy of TRD3 (European
version ?) with it. I've been playing it using my CH Virtual Pilot Pro
yoke and foot pedals (a MS Flight Simulator fan). My question to the
group is: how does this TRD3 compare to other driving and racing games
available for the PC? I am relatively impressed with this game and I
wonder if it gets any better. I like driving the GT cars, touring cars
and Formula cars.

Gary

Old December 19th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Emma Ward

"swede" > wrote in message
>I just purchased a new video board and received a copy of TRD3 (European
> version ?) with it. I've been playing it using my CH Virtual Pilot Pro
> yoke and foot pedals (a MS Flight Simulator fan). My question to the
> group is: how does this TRD3 compare to other driving and racing games
> available for the PC? I am relatively impressed with this game and I
> wonder if it gets any better. I like driving the GT cars, touring cars
> and Formula cars.
>
> Gary

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Things are SO much better than TRD3.....

R-Factor
GTR-2
Race (hmmm)
LFS
NetKar Pro

Old December 19th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

>> I just purchased a new video board and received a copy of TRD3 (European
>> version ?) with it. I've been playing it using my CH Virtual Pilot Pro
>> yoke and foot pedals (a MS Flight Simulator fan). My question to the
>> group is: how does this TRD3 compare to other driving and racing games
>> available for the PC? I am relatively impressed with this game and I
>> wonder if it gets any better. I like driving the GT cars, touring cars
>> and Formula cars.

The grip level in RD3 is much higher than reality. Lap times in RD3's
DTM cars at Spa are about the same as real Formula 1 cars, the expert
console players can do 1:45's, and I can get 1:46's on a PC (see video
below). Real DTM cars run Spa around 2:15 if I rember correctly.

http://jeffareid.net/rd3/rd3spadtm.wmv

David Coulthard in a F1 McLaren back at Spa in 2002, just under 1:45
with a qualifying setup (this was before they changed the bus stop
chicane near the end of the lap).

http://jeffareid.net/real/spaf1.wmv

I have a lot of videos from various racing games, both simulations and
arcade games at my web site (I should make more videos from GTR and GTR2).
Take a look and see what you like.

http://jeffareid.net/rgv.htm

Old December 19th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> (I should make more videos from GTR and GTR2).

One issue with all ISI games is that there is no tire noise
in the replays. I'm not sure why this is. In order to make
nice sounding videos, I have to do the capture live while
I'm driving, and I'm not an expert. I'm typically 5% to
7% slower than the experts at racing sims. All the ISI
based games (F1C 99-02, rFactor, GTR, GTL, GTR2) have this
replay issue, so if I download a replay of a fast run, it
seems dull as there is no tire noise to give a sense of
how hard the car is being pushed.

The two papy games, Grand Prix Legends, and Nascar Racing
Season 2003, have very good replay systems, and utilities
for moving the camera view for making videos. Live For
Speed also has a good replay system. Even the arcade games
that have replays have good replays. It's just the ISI
based games that are missing tire noises in replays, but
most of the current racing sims are ISI based.

Old December 19th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
swede

Jeff Reid said the following on 12/19/2006 11:17 AM:
> The grip level in RD3 is much higher than reality. Lap times in RD3's
> DTM cars at Spa are about the same as real Formula 1 cars, the expert
> console players can do 1:45's, and I can get 1:46's on a PC (see video
> below). Real DTM cars run Spa around 2:15 if I rember correctly.

But did you have "Handling" activated? Without that, I don't find the
game much fun at all. For instance, I can drive the entire Brands Hatch
course in the Jag JP1 with the throttle on the wall with "Handling" off.
Not too realistic IMHO... but looking at your video from GTR and rFactor
it is easier for me to understand why TRD3 was a "gift" <g>

And so, GTR2 must be better than GTR, and our local Wally World has it,
so I think I'll give it a try. I'm kinda burnt out on "flying" anyway,
and my VPPro works great with cars.

BTW, what did you use to get the movie, and how do you get a screenshot
from TRD3? I've seen TRD3 screenshots, but that feature don't seem to be
built into the program.

Thanks,

Gary

Old December 19th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
swede

Jeff Reid said the following on 12/19/2006 11:17 AM:
> The grip level in RD3 is much higher than reality. Lap times in RD3's
> DTM cars at Spa are about the same as real Formula 1 cars, the expert
> console players can do 1:45's, and I can get 1:46's on a PC (see video
> below). Real DTM cars run Spa around 2:15 if I rember correctly.

With "Handling" active my best lap in 10 was 2:21 in the Mercedes (yes I
suck and I'm old). With some practice, I am sure I'd get better.
Nevertheless, after seeing your videos, I am not as impressed with the
graphics in TRD3 as I was at first... especially the cheesy dashboards!
It looks more like an arcade game than a simulation, huh?

Gary

Old December 19th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

>> The grip level in RD3 is much higher than reality. Lap times in RD3's
>> DTM cars at Spa are about the same as real Formula 1 cars, the expert
>> console players can do 1:45's, and I can get 1:46's on a PC (see video
>> below). Real DTM cars run Spa around 2:15 if I rember correctly.

> But did you have "Handling" activated?

No, my goal was to make videos that were close to what you would
experience online by the better racers, and almost all of this is done
with the handling not activated.

Also, in TRD3, activating the handling on some of the cars makes them
almost undrivable. If I remember correctly, it's OK on the DTM cars,
and I'd have to mess with it again to see which cars were really
messed up with the pro handling on. It's been a while since I
messed with TRD3. You should check out their forums, as the game
does have a following. http://community.codemasters.com/forum/

Another issue is that the career mode requires that you run with
the pro handling off, especially for the pre-set time trial hot
lap times you have to beat.

> And so, GTR2 must be better than GTR,

The main improvment I've read is that GTR2 solved a snap oversteer
at low speed that occurred in GTR. The main complaint was that GTR2
was too easy to drive, but the cars should be easy to drive until
you reach the limits. The other complaint was that grip level was
a bit too high as lap times were a bit faster than real life.
Personally, I'm not too concerened about the lap times as long
as they are reasonably close to real life.

Some versions of GTR2 also include GTLegends. Get one of those
if you can find it.

> what did you use to get the movie

I use fraps, http://www.fraps.com, to capture a huge avi file, the
convert it to a windows movie file (windows movie maker - free,
or Adobe Premiere Pro - expensive, can do this).

> and how do you get a screenshot from TRD3?

Usually print screen key will do it, just shell out an paste the
clipboard screen shot into Paint. If not, then fraps also includes
a screen capture feature. Print Screen only captures a single file,
but with fraps, you can keep grabbing screen shots and then process
them later.

Old December 20th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Osarenren

gtr2 rocks hard. the only flaws are the online drivers. father forgive
them for they know not what they do.

Old December 20th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Will Bradshaw

Jeff Reid wrote:

> The main improvment I've read is that GTR2 solved a snap oversteer
> at low speed that occurred in GTR. The main complaint was that GTR2
> was too easy to drive, but the cars should be easy to drive until
> you reach the limits. The other complaint was that grip level was
> a bit too high as lap times were a bit faster than real life.
> Personally, I'm not too concerened about the lap times as long
> as they are reasonably close to real life.

I'm curious...did the "Live Track" feature live up to the hype in GTR2?

-Will
Old December 20th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Osarenren