86 Golf,Halfshaft. Wheres the big washer go.

Old February 7th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 86 Golf,Halfshaft. Wheres the big washer go.

I started to change my left driveshaft on my 86 today. After I had the
driveshaft out of the hub hanging down, still attached to the trans, for
about 5 minutes, A big cad plated washer fell out on the ground from
somewhere. Its big enough to fit over the driveshaft end, and against the
wheel bearing, and fits inside the seal too.It has grease on it. But I
changed the wheel bearing and half shaft before and dont remember it being
there. Also there's a shiny spot with a groove worn. where it looks like it
fit against the wheel bearing, but it looks like it was spinning. My axle
nut was very tight. So I fit it together and the axle nut doesnt pull down
enough, like it wasn't there before or now the bearings positioned wrong.
But it does fit there real nice. I don't know where else it could go. but it
looks like it was there, but not really. There isnt one on the other side
either. Now I wonder if an alignment shop did it, to fix the axle shaft end
stop problem, after I put new struts on, but they'd have to be really into
VWs to know about that. But my axle nut doesn,t pull down to the same spot
when I took it off. Anyhow I stopped work, because of this, now its snowing.
So it can sit and rot until I get around to it again. Any ideas.. Thanks
Vern Diesel

Old February 7th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

take a picture and e-mail me.

Old February 8th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On 2006-02-07, none2u > wrote:
> A big cad plated washer fell out on the ground from
> somewhere. Its big enough to fit over the driveshaft end, and against the
> wheel bearing, and fits inside the seal too.It has grease on it. But I
> changed the wheel bearing and half shaft before and dont remember it being
> there. Also there's a shiny spot with a groove worn. where it looks like it
> fit against the wheel bearing, but it looks like it was spinning. My axle

If it is like my '84 Rabbit (and it sounds like it is), its a washer that
goes on the axle before screwing the axle nut back on.

-Bryan

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email
Old February 8th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The washer goes all the way on the axle against the CV and the hub, on the
inside of the bearing, I thought that was where it was stuck from the grease
and fell off from, when I had the axle off hanging. Its about 3 inches
wide and an 1/8 in thick. The hub splines fit all the way through it. I
did'nt see it fall off I heards it hit the A frame then the pavement.
ink.com...

Old February 8th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

It's just a washer for the axel nut. That's the only place a washer is used.

SFC

"none2u" > schreef in bericht

Old February 11th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Maybe the previous owner installed it in the tranny hub to keep the CV
joint from rattling, or something.

Old February 13th 06, 09:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I want to thank everyone for your suggestions, After further inspection in
the snow and after finding a greasy roller bearing in the snow and another
stuck on my spring, I discovered the big washer is actually half of my upper
strut mount. I removed the center nut because I couldn't get the hub out far
enough to get the shaft out. There was no rubber on the washer or anything.
I believe the strut kept it in place even though it was completely seperated
from the bonded rubber. What sucks is I put this Asian one on a year and a
half ago with a 90 day warranty, and its completely debonded on the top, but
my german one on the other side is still fine installed in 1999. Thanks
vern diesel
oups.com...