Help! Clutch problems

Old May 23rd 05, 12:27 AM
Eric

Default Help! Clutch problems

My clutch bit the dust. Well, my clutch slave cylinder actually bit the
dust. I'm having a heck of a time finding the the slave for sale. Finally
found a couple of them online (dealer wants $240 for some "kit"). The kits
online (to include both master and slave cylinders with hose) is about $130
shipped to my door. It's about $50 for just the slave. Why on earth can
online places get this but not the normal "parts stores" (i.e. Napa,
Autozone, OReilly, Advanced Auto, etc)?

Should I replace just the slave? Would the master now be bad too? I had
just gone over a curb into the grass (long story, don't ask) when the pedal
felt strange (I assumed it was my gears somewhere) then the clutch went to
the floor. I assumed I had blown the clutch or something. Looked under it
and fluid was flowing from the slave. Had a friend help me pull it and
found the shaft had actually shot into the clutch. He had to get a pair of
pliers to get it out.

Later I climbed into a buddy's TJ, and realized that slave must've been
going for some time. I couldn't even drive his. I couldn't control the
clutch -- it had too much spring to it! Mine hasn't had that spring
since... well, since I can remember.

Eric
99 TJ SE

Old May 23rd 05, 01:35 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Eric,
I like to replace just the part needed, but I realize many parts
stores will only sell them as a sealed unit. Napa is absolutely the last
place I go for a part. I had good luck with Kragen, and Pep Boys, for a
couple.
You friend may have a Real pressure plate, like the Hot Rodder use,
seen at the bottom of: http://www.billhughes.com/clutch/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 23rd 05, 01:43 AM
Eric

Guess I'll give Pep Boys a shot tomorrow. Don't have Kragen here...

The places online that offer the slave itself are all the same part -- it's
made by Omix-Ada. NO ONE has a good photo of one, though. Wish I could see
it to make sure I was ordering the right part! This is my daily driver and
I really don't want to be out too long (but don't want to get ripped off by
the dealer either).

Really, I was just concerned about whether I should replace them both at the
same time (thinking one worn part leading to another). I figured you'd be
the first to reply. Was waiting for it. ;-) Thanks, Bill.

Eric

Old May 23rd 05, 02:50 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Eric,
This drawing will give a rough idea of what it looks like, pushing
a fork that pivots on the other side of the bellhousing:
http://www.billhughes.com/clutchControl.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 23rd 05, 03:00 AM
Eric

My wife found that photo online -- shows what I can see outside the housing.
I was trying to figure out what was inside, though.

I went ahead and ordered the slave cylinder. Regardless of any other
details, I'm going to need it. Besides, if the master is bad as well, there
are a few local shops with them in stock. No one seemed to have the slave,
though...

In theory, this should make my clutch "springy" (for lack of a more educated
way to put it), is that correct? For the last few weeks it has been rather
soft and since I installed the locker it has been catching a few gears here
and there (not really grinding, just not as smooth as normal).

Old May 23rd 05, 03:07 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.billhughes.com/TJclutchRelease.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 23rd 05, 03:52 AM
Eric

That helps! Questions now:

1. The release fork has a return spring. So if you press on the fork where
the slave normally would (as you can with a finger), should it... spring
back?

2. If it doesn't, what does that mean?

I can reach in there and push that in, and pull it back. No springy-ness
(wow, great grammer) at all.

Old May 23rd 05, 04:12 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Eric,
I wouldn't worry about it, the spring is probably more for holding
the fork on the ball. I think just the scuffing by the pressure plate
would be enough to kick out of the way. Like you don't have tons of
mechanical linkage to push like back like a Real Jeep:
http://www.billhughes.com/jeepClutchlinkage.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Eric wrote:

> That helps! Questions now:
>
> 1. The release fork has a return spring. So if you press on the fork where
> the slave normally would (as you can with a finger), should it... spring
> back?
>
> 2. If it doesn't, what does that mean?
>
> I can reach in there and push that in, and pull it back. No springy-ness
> (wow, great grammer) at all.
>
> Eric

Need help diagnosing clutch (?) problems. pawn Ford Mustang 4 May 5th 05 02:27 AM
It's alive! ....it's just not moving: Clutch problems.... FrinkLemur Mazda 5 January 29th 05 02:23 PM
Clutch Problems lovs2fly Ford Explorer 1 December 21st 04 05:14 PM
clutch problems w/ '99 dodge stratus strandedinnh Dodge 0 October 5th 04 05:30 PM