GPL - question for alexti or any GPL expert

Old October 7th 05, 05:48 AM
alexti

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in
news:Qzj1f.19575$lq6.19082@fed1read01:

>>> I believe it was Alison or her brother who found out that you don't
>>> get punished for overly stiff suspensions in GPL. The single most
>>> annoying thing with GPL, mind you.

>> That's first time I hear about it. I'm checking collection of GH
>> setups, his original one (GH1) are marked GH and the new ones GH2. Are
>> we talking about the same GH [=Greger Huttu]? They are 60/75 at
>> Monaco, GH2 is 60/80. At Silverstone, GH1 is 80/90, GH2 is 70/80. At
>> Kyalami GH1 is 85/100, GH2 is 80/75. With stiff suspension you lose
>> traction, but gain faster response. So the alien tendency seems to be
>> to go softer and deal with unresponsive car. I don't know if
>> realistically you're supposed to lose even more traction. In any case,
>> different stiffness is optimal for different tracks.

> Sorry, I picked the wrong example, it seems that other, later setups
> used stiffer springs. Alison's are very high, over 150. I haven't
> tried them though. Will take your advice and try softer springs.

I think Alison's setups are mostly targeted for novices. I don't know any
fast driver who is using them. I know only one reason to run very stiff
setup (120+) - that is if you expect to jump a lot. But there aren't that
many tracks that require it. It was a useful method in GPLRallies though.

> I usually set swaybars around 160/160 or 170/170 for the Lotus,
> should I try softer, like 150/150?

Either sounds reasonable. I usually run something within 130-180 range,
depending on the track. You use front/rear ratio to adjust the car balance
in a long corners.

>>> The second most annoying is the slip angle/grip curve

>> Something is definitely wrong in GPL tyre model. Try to slam the
>> brakes in the middle of Monza straight and wait until the car stops.
>> Save replay and look in replay analyser from what speed you've stopped
>> and how long did it take you. Then you can easily calculate friction
>> coefficient of tyres. AFAIR, it comes to something around 1.2, which
>> is similar to characteristics of modern slicks and probably too much
>> for '67 tyres. At least it's definitely not compatible with tyre
>> durability.

> How sticky the tires are depends on the weight of the car. In the
> case of Caterhams, Formula Vee's, Formula Fords, ..., the bias ply
> racing slicks for these cars allow them to pull around 1.4 to 1.5gs in
> corners, and I assume braking g forces are a bit higher. At around 1500
> lbs, the 1967 F1's should have been able to use fairly sticky soft
> compound bias ply racing slicks, 1.2 doesn't seem like too much to me.

I couldn't find any hard data on what coefficient was in 1967, but
considering how much improvement in tyres is done every year in F1 I
suspect that in 1967 they have much poorer tyres.

Alex.